Profiles

Started by Pamela Joyce Tisdale Poppe Antrup on Saturday, October 8, 2016
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 23 posts
10/8/2016 at 6:18 PM

I am curious as to why I can not find profiles for any of the twelve accused called The Witches of Pendle Forest. Am I looking incorrectly?

Elizabeth Southerns, alias Demdike
Elizabeth Device daughter of Demdike
James Device son of Elizabeth Device
Alison Device daughter of Elizabeth Device
Anne Whittle alias Chattox
Anne Redferne daughter of Chattox
Alice Nutter
Jane Bulcock
John Bulcock son of Jane Bulcock
Katherine Hewitt alias Mould-heels
Isabel Robey
Margaret Pearson

There were eight more called The Witches of Samlesbury Forest.

Jennet Bierley
Ellen Bierley Daughter of Jennet Bierley
Jane Southworth
John Ramsden
Elizabeth Astley
Alice Gray
Isabel Sidegraves
Lawrence Haye

Private User
10/8/2016 at 11:03 PM

They are probably not on the tree yet, and may need to be researched, good work, and maybe we could add those others to the project. Would you like to request to be a collaborator?

The Lancashire search records is here:
http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Search/indexp.html

Private User
10/8/2016 at 11:04 PM

Also, I always use google to search geni.

name geni.com in the search box

Private User
10/8/2016 at 11:06 PM

Jane Southworth

Google worked on this one :)

Private User
10/8/2016 at 11:20 PM

Maybe we should re name the project to include the other trials?

10/9/2016 at 8:16 AM

This is the sight that I found the names. As you will see at the top it covers several areas and list several names under each. I just find it curious that all of these people are a part of history and someone's ancestors but no profiles have been done. As is Biddy Early who was considered the most famous witch in Ireland. She even manages her own profile !! (: Again, no information added. I would be interested in collaborating on these profiles and help with any research needed but I am only a basic member if that matters. It might be fun to try and find who they are connected to in lineage.

http://www.pendlewitches.co.uk

10/9/2016 at 8:55 AM

The tricky bit is that you are at the limit of the parish records. However, with information like that in the first post, it'd be easy enough to sketch out a rough tree as someone has done here (Word doc file):
www.cleo.net.uk/consultants_resources/history/pendlewit/Pendle%20Wi...

That can then be fleshed out as we know the ages of some of the people:

"Jennet (Jeneta) was baptised at Newchurch-in-Pendle in the year 1600 - this means she would have been at least 11 years old but more likely 12 at the August 1612 trials. At this time her brother James was 21 or 22 and her sister Alison (baptised Alicea) was 18 or 19. Their mother, Elizabeth Device, would have been around 46 and their Grandmother around 71 or 72."

http://www.pendlewitches.net/page7.html

And then try and follow some of people down potentially to living people:

"The family line of Nutter, through Alice Nutter’s children, appears to have died out. There are, however, direct descendants through her daughter Elizabeth and son Miles but these would be people with other surnames among which are Hargreaves, Jackson and Robinson. Certainly, a number of local families with the Nutter surname will be distantly related to Alice Nutter’s husband, Richard Nutter."

http://www.pendlewitches.net/page7.html

That link also mentions where most of the people were probably born and also "The Nutter Grave" in St. Mary’s Church, Newchurch-in-Pendle. On the latter point it might be possible to reach out to the local priest or local family history groups to see what their burial records and gravestone information are like.

I'd be happy to get the trees started so people can work on fleshing them out.

10/9/2016 at 9:57 AM

Shaz said: "Maybe we should re name the project to include the other trials?"

Perhaps expand this to "Pendle Witch Trials" to bring in other people involved (accused, accusers, legal officials, etc.) and then create a separate "Samlesbury Witch Trials". The Salem Witch Trials project is the best developed of such projects and has that broader approach:
https://www.geni.com/projects/Salem-Witch-Trials-1692/59

Perhaps then start a "Witch trials in the early modern period" (or just "Witch Trials") project (under the "witches" and "witchcraft" projects) that'd then include these and the Salem witch trials (and any of the few dozen other similar outbreaks)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witch_trials_in_the_early_modern_period

The higher level project could sweep up others like (and her family who were also burned at the stake):
Anna Maria Konradt

Private User
10/9/2016 at 1:14 PM

Fantastic, please request to join, I only set this up because I have Preston and Robinson in Lancashire, found this, set up and moved on.

Basic Members always welcome to contribute, I dont think there are any restrictions placed in projects.

Would be great to see it worked :)

I have so much family from Lancashire, but, I cant get my head into the area, its funny, Cornwall is a breeze for me. Wonder why that is?

Once we have profiles added to this, I will add it to the History Link Project, then when you do your ancester search, all the projects that they are in are shown, its great to see the results.

So anyone who stems from these persons will discover this.

I LOVE history link with projects :)

Name change is good, let me know for sure what you want, and I shall do it.

Private User
10/9/2016 at 3:19 PM

The Which project is fine, we can add this one under it and add same profiles as this is more specific to them.

Erica Howton is involved in both so could add this to it (please Ercia :)

10/9/2016 at 6:03 PM

OK the simplest thing is I'll get the ball rolling and will post some of the profiles later.

Private User
10/9/2016 at 6:06 PM

Great, I changed the name as you will see, can change again if needs be.

10/9/2016 at 6:26 PM

I sent a request to add Elizabeth Hewett's profile to the project as well.

10/9/2016 at 6:30 PM

Ah, I missed that. Thanks for doing the renaming, it is good by me as some family members are the accused, accusers and alleged victims, so we can include those and others.

Private User
10/9/2016 at 6:48 PM

Fantastic, you guys rock :)

10/9/2016 at 6:51 PM

Sorry, that was addressed to Shaz.

Pamela: Thanks for spotting that.

I'm working on starting: The Southerns, the Whittles, the Nutters and the Bulcocks.

If anyone wants managerial control over them then just ask - I've added Shaz as a collaborator so she'll also have control over the profiles.

Private User
10/9/2016 at 7:16 PM

Thanks, My Lancashire branch starts here Alice Riding you can do an ancestor report on her in case you spot something.

10/10/2016 at 6:40 PM

OK I've roughly outlined the following and what I can find on their families:

Elizabeth Southerns
Elizabeth Device (Ingham)
James Device
Alizon Device
Anne Whittle
Anne Redferne
Jane Bulcock
John Bulcock
Alice Nutter (Whittaker)

I think the best source for the family trees will be The Lancashire Witch Conspiracy. If anyone has Kindle Unlimited they can get it here:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lancashire-Witch-Conspiracy-John-Clayton-e...

You can preview it here and might be able to find some useful information:
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=ROg0pu89b1cC

Private User
10/10/2016 at 7:50 PM

Fantastic :) Bill Barnes , Do you want me to update the project or do you want to do it?

Wonder why you are not a curator, your great at this.

Did get some info from preview, thanks.

PS
Dont have unlimited, but maybe my husband can read it to me :)

10/10/2016 at 8:39 PM

I've updated and added some further reading. There is a longer list of witches (including Christopher Holgate and his wife), "The Accused" are those who were taken off to be tried. I'll try and figure out a wording for the others and add them too.

Curating isn't really an option at the moment, but thanks for the thought :)

Private User
10/10/2016 at 8:46 PM

Thanks :) I got a bit of de ja vous over Whittaker, we had a Nanny (Mrs Whittaker) and in our parents absence, she got out her Tarot cards and said horrible things would happen to my brother. We locked her in the bedroom and I rang my parents and told them she was a witch, they arranged for an Aunt to come and release her and relieve her of her duties LOL

10/10/2016 at 9:42 PM

Sounds like you had a lucky escape!!

Private User
5/16/2019 at 10:07 PM

Bill Barnes I have merged your profiles in now, after talking to Kenneth Duckworth we agree that your tree was more likely.

Found this, and am scouring records of land ownership for clues.

Possibly Marriage giving clue to home of Jane?
Would names be erased in records after the trials? IF so, "BLANKS" might be clues?

22 Apr 1582 • Whalley, Lancashire, England
Marriage: 22 Apr 1583 St Mary and All Saints, Whalley, Lancashire, England
Xpoferus Boocoke - [unnamed] -
Notes: [Bride's name left as a blank]
Register: Marriages 1539 - 1601. Note date here differs by one year to other sources.

Showing all 23 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion