• Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni member

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 31-60 of 71 posts

As a result of the Counter-Reformation ,Protestants fled from other Catholic countries as well.
Even Mennonite Bauer family from Switzerland fled to Groningen and took the Dutch surname de Boer or Boer.

Other Walloon connections amongst the Huguenots that I can find (relatively randomly, I'm afraid)

-Daniel des Ruelles, SV/PROG Daniel des Ruelles, with his wife and three surviving children, took refuge at Zierikzee in Zeeland. ...On August 3, 1687 a daughter Marie was baptized in the Walloon church at Zierikzee (Boucher)

- Daniel Nourtier, SV/PROG a carpenter, who was received by the Walloon church of Middelburg on May 4, embarked with his wife,
Marie Vitu, whom he had married in the Zeeland capital on June 17, 1687.

Marie Vitu, SM/PROG

From Boucher Ch 9

http://www.franchimont.nl/NLG5601.jpg Middelburg Walloon church

Both my 9th grt grandfather.

http://www.e-family.co.za/ffy/g6/p6857.htm (random dump)
Francois described himself as from Clermont and was perhaps born there circa 1646. The date has been estimated. There has been a widespread assumption in genealogical circles and historical societies that he was a French Huguenot who most likely hailed from Clermont on the N31, about 60 kilometres north of Paris. However in the 1681 list of vrijluiden or free individuals at the Cape, it is stated that he was from Mazeijck which is a small town in the then-Spanish Netherlands (now Belgium) known today as Maaseik. There are several different Clermonts in the general region of Maaseik. As to him being a Huguenot, there is nothing in the record which specifically identifies him as such and given his early arrival, he was more likely a Walloon or even, remotely, a Catholic. My thanks to Rassie Rascher for clarifying these facts and bringing them to our attention.1,2

Hercules des Prez, SV/PROG
Father
Hercule Francois du Pre de Contrai

Hercules Dupre/Des Prez

Another 'Belgian ' but father here from France a ' French Huguenot '
Like F Viljoen possible as well ;originally from France a Huguenot that fled France , why his father here on GENI is from France ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeelandic_Flanders
In the past, Zeelandic was also called boers (farmer-like), in contrast to Standard Dutch which was known as op z'n burgers (like civilians, like the bourgeoisie), but this nomenclature has fallen out of fashion in recent times. The word plat, which is also used in other dialects to refer to any non-Standard-Dutch dialect, is also frequently used in Zeeland.

Francois Villion, LBVY-X35

Origin or source of his father ?

The correct SV/Prog ?

Hercule Francois du Pre de Contrai MP
Birth: circa 1611
Camiac-et-Saint-Denis, Gironde, Aquitaine, France
Death: 1696 (80-89)
Den Soeten Inval, Drakenstein, Cape of Good Hope, Dutch Cape Colony
Immediate Family:

Husband of Catharina Du Pre
Father of Hercules des Prez, SV/PROG; Marie-Jeanne Du Pre and Elizabeth Des Prez
Added by: Kate Emily Kruize on 9 October 2008
Managed by: Eileen Winifred Warren II, b1c1d4e3f1 and 20 others
Curated by: June Barnes - Still stitching

Catharism >> Waldensian >> Gallician and Huguenots protestants

I believe not coincidence the same areas of Europe

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catharism

https://www.worldhistory.org/Cathars/

https://chateau-marcel.com/history-of-the-cathars-2/

1562 Riots of Toulouse

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1562_Riots_of_Toulouse

The same area the Cathars and Waldensians had big support .

The earliest known settler from Lille is Cathalijntje Abrams wife of the burgher and former company gardener, Maarten Jacobsz. She would seem to have been a Flemish speaker.

The brothers Guillaume and Frangois Dutoit of Lille, who reached the Cape in 1686, both
probably on the Vrijheijt which anchored on June 23, were, however, clearly French speakers....the Guillaume du Toit, SV/PROG 1 who became a member of the Walloon congregation of Middelburg on December 20, 1684 must certainly have been the future Stellenbosch farmer. The wife of a Frangois Dutoit (Dutoict) of Haarlem, Anne
Billin, joined the Amsterdam Walloon church on November 21, 1683.97

In addition to Abraham, born at Serooskerke, there was another son Joost at the Cape from the same locality in Zeeland and a daughter Jeanne, born in Middelburg. Sara Cochet,
who married Guillaume Dutoit on May 16, 1688, was born in OostSouburg, north-east of the port of Flushing.100

Jannetje de Clercq, SM
Sarah Barentsz Cochet, SM/PROG

Uncanny ! Was thinking exact same !
Also Francois Viljoen 's wife was from Middelburg.
Did they know each other from there?

Why is Jannetjie de Clerg a Huguenot if her parents and grandparents were Dutch ?

Boucher connects Lanoys to the Walloon Church in Amsterdam (Nicolas de Lanoy, SV/PROG)

Jacques de Savoye, SV/PROG was born at Ath in Hainaut in 1636, the son of a father of the same name and his wife Jeanne van der Zee. Not
therefore a Frenchman by birth, but a native of the Spanish Netherlands
Savoye was accompanied to the Cape by the Nourtiers of the Calaisis as his servants

The refuge in Flushing enabled Hercules des Prez, SV/PROG and his wife to practise openly the Calvinist faith and on February 11, 1688, eight days before they sailed with their children on the Schelde, they were given an attestation of membership by the minister and elders of the Walloon church in Flushing. They had, in the words of the document, “fait ouverte profession de la Religion Reformee, et vescu avec edification au milieu de nous, frequentant les sainctes assemblies et participant au Sacrement de la saincte Cene du Seigneur”. The attestation was signed by the pastor Andre Lombard and, in the name of his colleagues, by the
church elder Daniel de Groot.

more than 40% of the French speakers who came to the Cape in the last quarter of the seventeenth century had their origins in eastern and north-eastern France, or in
communities beyond the frontier. So far as the borderland and the
Spanish Netherlands are concerned, it would seem that a relatively high
proportion of emigrants came from those urban centres particularly
associated with textile production. Those from Flanders would doubtless have been conversant with the Flemish language. This fluency must
have helped to advance the process of integration in the Cape environment.

Still Boucher Ch 9

Think though that Boucher not au fait and a bit naive how people can be re language !
Afrikaans people in Moorreesburg struggle with English.
English in Sandton can not understand any Afrikaans and how many if us " Eurocentric " South Africans speak or even understand an indigenous African language
In Belgium even today certain regions will not speak another language.

In Ost Pruß they spoke mostly Plattdeutsch and ignored High German or Polish

Your map showing French Flanders being south of Belgian Wallonia is interesting .
Would the inhabitants have been considered Flanders / Flemish ?
Some in Wallonia still speak Picard ( French dialect from Picard region south of French Flanders )

True about the the language mixing. I was thinking that any who got help at Walloon Churches are likely to have spoken / understood 'Flemish/Dutch'

Walloon Churches probably more likely Wallonian French/Romance , French and not as much Dutch or Flemish.

I'm not so sure - Would the Walloon Church in Middelburg Zeeland have spoken French rather than Dutch/Flemish?

Think the Walloon Church in Middelburg would have been for Protestant Wallonians ( Wallonian or French speaking)that fled predominately Catholic Wallonia .

The other Protestant Churches in Zeeland would have been Flemish or Dutch

Hmm, okay - I understand.

My gut tells me that there must have been enough Flemish speakers at the Cape to make Flemish the predominant language = Afrikaans. (I see no French in Afrikaans :-)) So, it seems interesting to identify who they might have been. My presumption is that the Flanders Huguenots and the Walloons spoke Flemish/Dutch too - but it's probably stretching it a bit :-)

Walloons today will rather die than admit they even understand Flemish or Dutch .
The HOIK / VOC actively discouraged any other language but Dutch at the Cape.
We do have a rare French remnant in Afrikaans the double negative and n'est-ce pas.
Is mos waar ne !
Some argue not enough French at the Cape but a Malay -Portuguese slave origin but that I think is a bit far fetched and skaves at the Cape had to many varied origins.

If I as a second language Afrikaans speaker can understand the Flemish/Dutch variant perfectly I'm pretty certain Afrikaans is virtually exactly it :-)

Showing 31-60 of 71 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion