Started by Private User on Thursday, September 22, 2016
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing all 18 posts
Private User
9/22/2016 at 9:45 PM

Hi all,

I was having a look around, reviewing sources and tidying up the tree a little, while I was cross referencing some sources against one another, I came across this bit of information, I thought could be interesting to discuss.

As per the extract below this is suggesting the "unknown" parents of Col. William Bell of "Millenbeck" to be Capt. William Ball, of the New Haven Colony & his wife Dorothy Tuttle (Gen's 5, 6 and 7 below)

------------------begin snip------------------

Fifth Generation

JOHN PARIS BALL, JR. (b: 5 May 1548 Workingham, Berkshire, England d: 1628 Workingham, Berkshire, England) married ELIZABETH WEBB (b: 1555 Ruscombe, Comitatis, Berkshire, England d: 1595) daughter of THOMAS WEBB and MRS. THOMAS WEBB about 1567/1568 in Ruscombe, Comitatis, Berkshire, England. Their children:

1. CAPT. WILLIAM BALL (b: 1573 Wiltshire, Millenbeck CO., England d: 17 November 1647 New Haven, New Haven, CT) m: (1) Joanna King, (2) Dorothy Tuttle, (3) Alice Waltham
2. THOMAS BALL (b: 1575 Workingham, Berkshire, England d: 27 October 1744) m: Mary
3. RICHARD BALL (b: 1577 Workingham, Berkshire, England)
4. GEORGE BALL (b: 1579 Workingham, Berkshire, England) m: Faith Carter
5. SAMUEL BALL (b: about 1581 Workingham, Berkshire, England)
6. RACHEL BALL (b: 1583 Workingham, Berkshire, England d: 1599)
7. ALICE BALL (b: about 1585 Ruscombe, Berkshire, England)
8. ELIZABETH BALL (b:1585 Workingham, Berkshire, England) m: John Rodgers
9. SUSAN BALL (b: about 1587 Workingham, Berkshire, England) m: Thomas Blatchley
10. ALS (Sic)BALL (b: about 1589 Workingham, Berkshire, England) m: Thomas Bronne
11. DOROTHY ADELIA BALL (b: 1591 Workingham, Berkshire, England)
12. MARY BALL (b: about 1593 Workingham, Berkshire, England) m: James Russell

Sixth Generation

CAPT. WILLIAM BALL (b: 1573 Wiltshire, Millenbeck CO., England d: 17 November 1647 New Haven, New Haven, CT) married (1) JOANNA KING, (2) DOROTHY TUTTLE(b: England) (3) ALICE WALTHAM. William arrived in America about 1635 with 6 sons. The children of William and Dorothy:

1. JOHN BALL (b: about 1599 Wiltshire, ENG; d: 1 October 1655 Concord, Middlesex, MA)
2. FRANCIS BALL (b: about 1601 Wiltshire, ENG)
3. ALLING BALL (b: about 1603 Wiltshire, ENG)
4. SAMUAL BALL (b: about 1605 Wiltshire, ENG)
5. RICHARD BALL (b: unknown ENG)
6. COL. WILLIAM BALL (b: about 1615 Barkham Manor, Barkham, Berkshire, England d: November 1680 Millenbeck, Lancaster, VA) m: Hannah Atherold

Seventh Generation

COL. WILLIAM BALL (b: about 1615 Barkham Manor, Barkham, Berkshire, England d: November 1680 Millenbeck, Lancaster, VA) married HANNAH ATHEROLD (b: 1619 London, Middlesex CO., England, Gb d: 25 June 1695 Millenbeck, Lancaster, VA) daughter of THOMAS ATHEROLD and MARY HARVEY on 2 July 1638. Their children:
1. WILLIAM BALL (b: 2 June 1641 Lancaster, VA d: 30 September 1694 Lancaster, VA) m: Margaret
2. EDWARD BALL (b: 1642 England d: 1724 England)
3. RICHARD BALL (b: 1646 Barkham Manor, Barkham, Berkshire, England d: 1677 Richmond, VA) M: (1) Elizabeth Linton (2) Elizabeth Romney (3) Mary Bennet
4. JOSEPH BALL (b: 25 May 1649 Millenkick, Lancaster, VA d: 11 July 1711 Oakley, Lancaster, VA) m: (1) Elizabeth Julia Romney (2) Mary Montague
5. HANNAH BALL (b: 12 March 1650 Barkham Manor, Barkham, Berkshire, England d: 1694 VA) m: David Fox

-------------------end snip-------------------

Full source: http://www.angelfire.com/tx4/custer/ball.html

I do note that the sources referenced within the web page above are not specific in that they do not give anything we can review without having to perform searches ourselves, but I figure it's worth discussing as I can't see it has been eliminated in any of the previous discussion threads against this profile.

9/22/2016 at 10:39 PM

DISPROVED by DNA studies. This is an outdated and spurious pedigree, I'm afraid.

See http://www.next1000.com/family/EC/ball.richard.html for a good discussion of the Col's ancestry.

See "6 brothers myth" on the New England DNA project

http://www.newenglandballproject.com/ui15.htm

This is the current (and probably not entirely accurate) Geni profile for John Paris Ball, ll, of Wokingham

You will see his "William" son is Capt. William Ball, of the New Haven Colony

I've joined your copy of Col William to the MP & invite more discussion.

9/22/2016 at 10:47 PM

Prestigious journal article here

But Capt. William Ball, of New Haven has no relationship to Col. William Ball of Millenbeck, VA according to The English Ancestry of Colonel William Ball of Millenbeck. Peter Walne. The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography. Vol. 67, No. 4 (Oct., 1959), pp. 399-405 Published by: Virginia Historical Society Article Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/4246576

Private User
9/22/2016 at 11:40 PM

Thanks Erica, I've just read the article from the 1st link you've posted and will make my way through the rest after some sleep. Appreciate you going over what's likely to have been covered already. cheers.

Private User
5/15/2017 at 11:35 AM

This is what I am working on as well with my Husbands Ball line. We are on the New England Project and have proof up to Nathaniel Ball (b1625). I have John Ball I which is his 11th great grandfather. I have seen lots of speculation as to who John's father is. I believe there were more than one William Ball that sailed from England.

The Ball that I am working on for our tree is William Weaver Ball aka Capt William Ball. married to Alice Waltham, who died in New Haven, CT. From what I have seen off of several family trees, everything matches up. He had two sons named William (not sure if they both lived to adulthood) and also a son named Joseph who might be the Joseph listed in the above referenced journal article.

Since the DNA testing according to the New England Ball Project have to connection to the William Ball of VA line, I guess the myth cant be true, but that doesn't mean there wasn't another William Ball not related to William Ball of New Haven Colony.

All I want is some sort of proof, guess we will just have to send my husbands DNA in and connect it that way. Maybe someone somewhere can connect the dots. This is almost as confusing as trying to get all the Nathaniel Ball's straight. lol

Private User
5/15/2017 at 11:48 AM

Further notes on my previous post. There is no way that Capt William Weaver Ball who married Alice Waltham can be John Ball I's father.
I know my husband is directly descended from John Ball I. But I just did the math and I have William Weaver listed as his father, and a brother Francis born in 1584 that would mean that William Weaver Ball born 1573 started making babies at a VERY young age. There is no way my earlier thoughts posted are correct.
Gosh I just wasted like 2 whole days. Do the math Leslie.
Sorry, admin may delete my post

Private User
5/15/2017 at 11:48 AM

Further notes on my previous post. There is no way that Capt William Weaver Ball who married Alice Waltham can be John Ball I's father.
I know my husband is directly descended from John Ball I. But I just did the math and I have William Weaver listed as his father, and a brother Francis born in 1584 that would mean that William Weaver Ball born 1573 started making babies at a VERY young age. There is no way my earlier thoughts posted are correct.
Gosh I just wasted like 2 whole days. Do the math Leslie.
Sorry, admin may delete my post

5/15/2017 at 11:57 AM

Geni would only delete posts if reported and yours has no reason to be deleted, it's a common miscalculation supported by many on line trees. You may however delete your own post if you like.

9/18/2021 at 3:01 PM

In addition to the sources Erica provided above, here's another excellent analysis of the available evidence on the parentage of Colonel William Ball of Millenbeck: D. J. French, The Ancestry of the Balls of Berkshire, Northamptonshire and Virginia a Monograph, 2013, available at https://maryballwashington.com/. French concludes, like Walne, that Colonel William Ball of Millenbeck could not have been the son of William Ball of Lincoln's Inn, London, and Wokingham, Berkshire.

12/12/2021 at 8:33 AM

More recent evidence and research (Col. William Ball's COA, etc.) has him related to the Gloucestershire, England Ball's, or closely to the Northamptonshire, England Ball's. I have read and researched a lot on this Ball family, as my great-grandmother was a Ball, and she descends from this line.

I believe Col. William Ball of Millenbeck was probably from Eastington, Stroud District, Gloucestershire, England and/or Stonehouse, Stroud District, Gloucestershire, England, with his father being:

Samuel I Ball

BIRTH APR 1589 • Eastington, Stroud District, Gloucestershire, England
DEATH JAN 1653 • Stonehouse, Stroud District, Gloucestershire, England

Or possibly a brother of Samuel. Col. William Ball of Millenbeck was almost certainly the grandson of:

Rev. Robert Ball, Reverend

BIRTH ABT 1551 • Lichfield, Staffordshire, England
DEATH 21 JUL 1613 • Eastington, Stroud District, Gloucestershire, England

With Col. William Ball of Millenbeck's Coat of Arms (COA) being almost identical to the COA of Rev. Robert Ball of Lichfield.

Col. William Ball of Millenbeck is most certainly not closely related to Capt. William (II) "Alling" Ball of New Haven, Connecticut, as recent DNA evidence proves this. They are though likely distant relatives. Thus, Col. William Ball of Millenbeck is not closely related to the Barkham Manor, Berkshire, England, but again distantly so.

Warren S. McLaughlin III

12/12/2021 at 10:24 AM

Nice work, Warren.

12/13/2021 at 2:33 PM

Warren, how did you arrive at your conclusions? What research and evidence are you referring to?

Thanks,
Keith

12/13/2021 at 6:35 PM

One was a Part F. Ball's of Northamptonshire, which outlined that possibly Dr. Rev.d Richard Ball (1570-1631) of the Northamptonshire line could be the father of Col. William Ball of Millenbeck. It is not known if Dr. Richard Ball had a son though. This work was very in depth regarding Col. William Ball of Millenbeck's COA and the very close similarities with the Northamptonshire and Gloucestershire Ball lines. Really COAs are very telling. And we just so happen to know what Col. William Ball of Millenbeck's COA was. DNA has helped as well, and proved that Capt. William (II) "Alling" Ball of New Haven, Connecticut is not closely related to Col. William Ball of Millenbeck.

Rev. Robert Ball of Lichfield is very close to the Col. William Ball of Millenbeck's COA. It was here posited that it was likely one of his sons who was the father of Col. William Ball of Millenbeck. I have included all of Rev. Robert Ball's children in my tree of Ancestry.com and not here. I appears that all of these lines go back to the early Lord William Ball of Barkham Manor, those being the line of Dr. Rev.d Richard Ball (1570-1631) of Northamptonshire, and also the previously mentioned Rev. Robert Ball of Lichfield of Gloucestershire. Dr. Rev.d Richard Ball's (1570-1631) father is Lawrence III Ball (1549-1619), a Mercer.

Simply Googling Col. William Ball of Millenbeck should bring up some good research articles. I suppose that when more male Ball ancestors from this line do their Y-DNA test with the Ball Y-DNA Project, it will further prove the correct lineage for Col. William Ball.

Warren

12/13/2021 at 6:57 PM

Erica says, "Nice work, Warren."

Thank you my Ross and Howton cousin!!! I really love the work you do here, and the guidance that you give to the Geni family. It is because of you that I am here!!!

Warren

12/13/2021 at 10:13 PM

That’s so sweet, thank you.

12/14/2021 at 3:48 PM

Just to clarify, "Part F. Ball's of Northamptonshire" is a section of the source I referred to on 9/18/2021: D. J. French, The Ancestry of the Balls of Berkshire, Northamptonshire and Virginia a Monograph, 2013, available at https://maryballwashington.com/. The information about the coats of arms is summarized in this monograph, along with the original sources. The whole monograph is worth reading, not just Part F.

There are many sources on the Internet concerning Col William Ball of Millenbeck, but unfortunately, many of them are not as reliable as this monograph.

12/14/2021 at 4:45 PM

Yes, I used that study to conform the tree on Geni, it really is very good.

12/15/2021 at 11:48 AM

Keith, Part F. Ball's of Northamptonshire is a good source of breaking down the close similarities of the Col. William Ball Coat of Arms, and finding that the Coats of Arms of the Ball's of Northamptonshire and Gloucestershire. It mentions the possible connection of Dr. Rev.d Richard Ball (1570-1631) of Northamptonshire as a possible father of Col. William Ball of Millenbeck, but in the whole, that connection appears weakest of the possible father of Col. William Ball of Millenbeck.

Part F. Ball's of Northamptonshire does logically make the connection that the Ball's of Northamptonshire and Gloucestershire are closely related, as their Coats of Arms appear to indicate. I believe this source (and others) point closer to the Rev. Robert Ball (1551-1613 )of Lichfield. Lichfield, Staffordshire is nearby Eastington, Stroud District, Gloucestershire. And Gloucestershire is near Berkshire, England, where the Barkham line resided. Also Northamptonshire is right there near all of these as well. So Northamptonshire, Gloucestershire, Berkshire, and Staffordshire regions are grouped right together. But, even though these Ball lines appear to be related, it appears that that the Northamptonshire, Gloucestershire, and Staffordshire Ball Coats of Arms are the most similar.

Warren

Showing all 18 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion