Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 2 posts
8/22/2016 at 2:42 AM

Birth Date 1099 OR before 1089

Private User
1/21/2020 at 10:41 AM

A very late reply, I just saw your comment and can reply. I’ve drawn over 4,000 coats of arms and will post as soon as I update my sourcing.

This is the correct description for each earl:
The arms of the earls are shown on the right, they are described in Cheshire Antiquites (Strutt, 1838) as:

AVRANCHES (first creation)

Hugh of Avranches: 1st Earl of Chester, created (1070-1101) - "Azure, a wolf's head argent" (silver wolf's head on blue)
Richard of Avranches: 2nd Earl of Chester (1101-1120) - gules, "Crusilly”or, a wolfs head argent (wolf's head with crosses)
MESCHINES (second creation)

Ranulf de Meschines: 1st Earl of Chester (1120-1129) - "Or, a lion rampant gules" (red lion on gold)
Ranulph De Gernon: 2nd Earl of Chester (1129-1153) - "Gules, a lion rampant argent" (gold lion on red)
Hugh de Kevelioc: 3rd Earl of Chester (1153-1181) - "Azure, six garbs or" (six gold sheaves on blue)
Ranulf de Blondeville: 4th Earl of Chester (1181-1232) - "Azure, three garbs or" (three gold sheaves on blue)
CANMORE (third creation)

John Canmore: known as "John the Scot" Earl of Chester (1232-1237) - "Or, three piles gules" (three red wedges on gold)

http://chester.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Earls_of_Chester

There are a number of errors in this list. First it showed three creations when in fact all seven Earls were in the second creation. The first creation was only Gerbod the Fleming.

Secondly most notable is the description for John the Scot is reversed, it should read gules three piles or, a red background with three gold piles.

I’ve drawn all of these and will update all seven images shortly.

Showing all 2 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion