Albérède NN - Alternative Data After Merges

Started by Sharon Doubell on Tuesday, August 16, 2016
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 10 posts
8/16/2016 at 5:00 AM

Forename: Albérède OR Albreda OR Aubrée OR Albérède (Aubree) (Eranberge)
Birth Location Haute-Normandie, France OR Ivry, Eure, Normandie, France
Death Date c. 1010 OR before c. 1011

8/16/2016 at 7:47 PM

Would it not be better to give her unknown parents? I know on Family Search, if you don't know the parents name of ancestor, they request that you leave the names blank.

Private User
8/17/2016 at 1:26 AM

She's called Aubrée de Canville in French
Here is what can be found on FMG :
Raoul d'Ivry m [secondly] [as her first husband,] EREMBURGE [de Caville/Cacheville], daughter of ---. Guillaume of Jumièges records that “Rodulphum” married “Erembergam...natam in quadam villa Calcini territorii...Cavilla” and that they had “duos filios Hugonem postea episcopum Baiocensem et Ioannem Abricatensem...
So for her place of birth it is said to be Caville not Ivry which might be Raoul's birth place.

8/19/2016 at 8:53 PM

Ok I don't speak Latin, can you say that in English please.

8/20/2016 at 1:37 AM

Robert - that's what Google translate is for:
" Rudolph " married " Cavilla Erembergam ... ... was born in a villa, calcine of the territory " and that they had " had two sons, Hugh and John Abricatensem afterwards Bishop of Bayeux and ...
This is the translation from the Overview:
" He had a certain woman , whose name was Erembergam or Albereda very beautiful , was born in a village Calcivii territory , which is Canvilla . "

Robert - I will make her Unknown parents. Good suggestion.

8/20/2016 at 1:45 AM

JF, I'm chasing down Canvilla / Cavilla / Caville in Calcine /Calcivii territory - and not getting much to establish a modern location. I've asked Anne Berge to come and give us her input too.

8/20/2016 at 2:45 AM

Wrt this Discussion: https://www.geni.com/discussions/145837, Private User might be able to advise us as well.

8/20/2016 at 8:29 AM

Maven gave a partial answer here:
https://www.geni.com/discussions/145837

"Calcini territorii" = pays de Caux

Private User
8/21/2016 at 4:51 PM

Ah yes, the Infamous Albereda! All that is known (or told) about her comes from William of Jumieges and that inveterate gossip Orderic Vitalis.

Jumieges: "He [Raoul d'Ivry] married a wife, called Eremberga or Albereda, very beautiful, born in a place in the Chalk (Caux) territory which is called Canville." Over here https://www.geni.com/discussions/145837 I went into the complications involved in specifically identifying the place. Note: Beware of elisions at MedLands - Cawley LEFT OUT the equation of Eremberga with Albereda, probably because he doesn't believe in it. But it is not right to distort your sources to suit your theories.

Orderic had less to say about Eremburge/Albereda's origins and more about the story that she built the tower of Ivry and then offed the architect so he couldn't build another like it. Then, he says, she tried to throw her husband out of it and he turned on her and killed her.

Private User
8/21/2016 at 4:54 PM

Copypaste from the other thread, with specific reference to "Canville":

Traditionally the Camville family has been said to have come from Canville-les-Deux-Eglises, Seine-Maritime, Haute-Normandie, Arrondissement de Rouen, Canton de Doudeville; but it has not thus far been possible to identify any structures or vestiges of structures from the period circa the Norman Conquest.

Another possibility is Canville-la-Rocque, Région Basse-Normandie, Département Manche, Arrondissement Coutances, Canton La Haye-du-Puits. Often confused with Canville-les-Deux-Églises. Features the Chateau d'Olonde, most of which dates from the 16th century but the oldest parts of which have been dated back to about the 12th.

Most interesting, particularly in connection with the occasional spelling of the family name as "Canoville" or "Canouville", is Canouville, Région Haute-Normandie, Département Seine-Maritime, Arrondissement Dieppe, Canton Cany-Barville. Bears traces of habitation back to Gallo-Roman times (approx. 2d to 7th centuries AD), including a small theater. The last physical traces of a fortification dating to probably the 11th century vanished early in the 19th century.

Showing all 10 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion