Editha 'Edith' de Warenne - Alternative Data After Merges

Started by Sharon Doubell on Sunday, August 14, 2016
Showing all 7 posts
8/14/2016 at 6:36 AM

Forename Editha 'Edith' OR NN First wife of Gerald
Surname de Warenne OR de Gournay de OR de Monceaux
Birth Date 1085 OR 1076
Birth Location Gournay, Normandy, France OR Oxfordshire, England, United Kingdom
Death Date 1155 Or after 1155

8/15/2016 at 7:05 AM

According to Medlands:
http://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/ENGLISH%20NOBILITY%20MEDIEVAL.htm#W...
EDIVE [Edith] ([1072/80]-after 1155). Guillaume of Jumièges records that ”Giraldus” left for Jerusalem “cum uxore sua Edithua sorore Willelmi comitis de Warenna”, who married secondly “Drogoni de Monceio”, by whom she had “unum filium...Drogonem”[1320]. Her second marriage is confirmed by Orderic Vitalis who names "Hugo filius Girardi de Gornaco" and "Drogo, vitricus eius"[1321]. Her birth date is indicated bearing in mind that she had children by both her marriages. The date of her first marriage is estimated assuming that she was about 12 years old at the time. m firstly ([1084/92]) [as his second wife,] GERARD de Gournay Seigneur de Gournay-en-Bray, son of HUGUES [III] Seigneur de Gournay & his wife Basilia Fleitel (-Palestine after 1104). He and his wife participated in the First Crusade but he died before the capture of Jerusalem[1322]. m secondly DREUX [I] Seigneur de Moncy, son of ---.

SO Name Edith or Edive
date of birth circa 1072/80
as to place of birth that's questionable.... I think though that Oxfordshire may be someone mistaking her for Edith d/o Robert D'Oily.
Death date After 1155

8/15/2016 at 9:49 AM

Thanks for engaging Terry:
On her birthplace: Her father is the Earl of Surrey - so it seems likely she was born in England?

8/15/2016 at 9:59 AM

I would say in those times it was not a foregone conclusion that the Earl of Surrey lived in England as many Earls and nobility were Normans and the titles didn't refelct where they dwelt. It seems Gundred died in Child birth and her death place is recorded asCastle Acre in Norfolk but Lewes in Sussex looks like a favoured place for burial in the family. I'd say Edive probably was born in England but wouldn't like to bet on which county!

8/15/2016 at 10:12 AM

I'll let Erin Ishimoticha who Curates update as she sees fit.
Thankyou again for all your help.

8/15/2016 at 11:26 AM

Updated with your recommendations. Let me know if I've missed something!

8/15/2016 at 11:36 AM

:-)

Showing all 7 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion