Please do NOT merge unsourced duplicates into the MEDIEVAL tree

Started by Sharon Doubell on Friday, July 29, 2016
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing 151-180 of 7450 posts

As for the main topic, Sharon: people WILL keep slashing and mashing the tree to suit their own preconceptions - regardless of any documentation, any warnings NOT to, any ANYTHING.

The early Nevilles have recently been the victims of slash-bash-mash, which annoys me because the early Hambys (my paternal grandmother's line) tie into them and I put quite a lot of work into trying to sort out who was whom. Now it's a worse mess than when I started.

The Hawkinses have repeatedly gotten the slash-bash-mash treatment because *everybody* wants to be related to Admiral Sir John and Admiral Sir Richard (and most aren't).

I also just found that a *Curator* (!!!!!) had assisted with a slash-bash-mash on *three* unrelated Justice families of early Virginia (one of which may be fictional).

Why does anyone feel the need for creating new profiles that already exist, this one as late as 12 october 2016 Carin Mattsdotter Ribbing
Now her husband Olof Eriksson Stake, till Hönsäter och Ulvstorp , has two wife's and his mother 3 husbands instead of two. Then we have this thing with dates, everyone are not fit to make them!

Clearly, some people have nothing against having a forefather born after his children, or him being five years old when he got his first child, most people have not even looked at the sources either.

In the ÄSF, they haven't written out estimations and if the dates were unknown, they just skipped it. But, there is something called simple logic, in this case the man Olof mentioned above, was born in his mothers second marriage, her first husband was recorded to have still lived in the year 1517, he has to have disappeared before she remarried, given us only one clue to when Olof could have been born, after 1517. In 1537 Olof was considered adult enough to get a fief, which gives us that he at that point was at least in the age range between 15-20, and that fits perfectly chronologically, he couldn't have been born much later.

And lastly, a man named Olof couldn't have been the father to a son named Erik Svensson during the Middle Ages. And my guess for them to initially put Olof date of birth forward in time with 20 years, was to make this unknown son Erik svensson more credible, despite that it ruins the actual sourced two children's existence.

Ulf, what I told Sharon: [P]eople WILL keep slashing and mashing the tree to suit their own preconceptions - regardless of any documentation, any warnings NOT to, any ANYTHING.

Curators are getting relationship locking soon which will permanently freeze areas of thr tree as it is, no merges at all no bogus stuff added. Just sit tight.

Jason, what happens if they freeze it with the *wrong* information? (That happens even now, with some of the major profiles.)

We can unfreeze it and correct it

@ Reinhild Von Friesland
Birth: estimated before 869
Immediate Family:
Daughter of Gudrod Graf Von Friesland and Frederuna Von Hamaland
Wife of @Dietrich Von Sachsen
Mother of @Lothar I, graf von Stade
Added by: Steven Ray Martin on June 25, 2016
Managed by: Steven Ray Martin

@Ragnhildis Ludmilla von Ringleheim
Birth: circa 860
Germany
Death: circa 917 (49-65)
Stade, Germany
Immediate Family:
Daughter of Godfried II van Friesland and Gisele van Lotharingen
Wife of @Abbo, graf von Stade
Mother of @Lothar I, graf von Stade
Added by: <private> Kassian on December 22, 2008
Managed by: Douglas John Nimmo, Renee Lindsey Weeden and espen Andrè hansen

Thanks Ulf, Dina, Judi.

As Jason says - we're holding thumbs for relationship locking.

Maven - A lot (almost all of it) is completely unintentional. The more people we get working 1.) to actively prevent merging in unsourced duplicate trees
and 2.) to invite the managers to join us doing that here -
the quicker we reach a tipping point in our favour.

https://www.geni.com/search/matches?id=6000000042788045808&amp;src=...

In addition to the unsourced profile there are two master profiles.

It will be great when it happens - they need to find a deep cellar where they can lock up all the disconnected profiles where they won't come up again :-) I know that's probably impossible They also still come up in Google searches with the "real" ones and some keep showing up as potential merges - when they come across my path I make sure that they are unconnected and refuse the match.

Sharon I was sent here by Justin Swanström just a few minutes ago because I was spamming him with Doubles and question ... I didn't know this forum was here but now that I know ... I have a couple of question.

1, If I find a MP profile that is a double of another MP profile do I just merge them or send it here first?

2, What if the some doubles have been merged already but stacked? Should I try to finish merging as same person ? And then send the other doubles here for you to review?

Bodegisel II, duke of Aquitaine

master profile of this double says

This is the Master Profile for Bodegisel II, duke of Aquitaine.
Curator Note from Justin Swanström (7/28/2015):
Parents unknown. Do not attach him to any.
Probably son of Gondolfus and Palatina, but experts disagree.
Probably father of Arnoul, Bishop of Metz, but experts disagree.
Locked to prevent vandalism.

Oda von Sachsen von Stade

I was just discussing this same profile blow with Justin earlier today LOL

Oda, abbess of Amay

Sorry this is the double of Bodegeisel Tongres, KING Governor of Aquitaine

Dorothy Smid As I understand it, the best thing to do with problems surrounding duplicate profiles is just to leave them alone, report them here and let the experienced curators decide what to do. As the title of this discussion says, "Please do NOT merge . . ."

Also, as a Pro myself, not a curator, I've learned that I don't have permission to merge duplicate Master profiles.

Yup - nobody can merge two MPs - that's part of the point of them.

This project and this Discussion is to catch UNSOURCED DUPLICATES before they and their line get merged into the world tree. Problems with conflicting MPs need to be raised in a Discussion from their profiles.

Thanks Abbie & Dorothy

Sharon I am the original manager of many profiles that I've merged 3 times. Now there is a huge mess up that I can't deal with on my own... I have already brought this to the forum https://www.geni.com/discussions/156925?msg=1113401 But I think I could really use yours and others expert help on this. There many double to deal with and as far as I am concerned should be deleted all together after learning so much more after I added them years ago now.

This is the profile I think we can start deleting Prinses Dochter Radbaud IV Galama and work from there.

Sending private message to Dorothy Smid.

I should point out I am NOT the only manage of these profiles in question btw.

One more suggestion you could add to prevent doubles from ever happening .... Always search google first for the person you want to add that way IF Geni already has them on the tree you will save anymore doubles from being added. That's how I've done it over the years. Sometimes it doesn't work to good because of the language difference . So now I search google for all the different ways to spell anyone from the 1500's and up. It works for the most part and its a great was to find the doubles to add in this forum.

I disconnected Prinses Dochter. Please post anymore you want disconnected, Dorothy.

Prinses Dochter of Radboud II Galama, b. 725

From this profile it now shows mutable doubles going down the tree

disconnected

It has 70 managers. Post the duplicate

N. Galama van Heringa

I question this profile and all attached to it ... I 've never seen her as Douwe Juws Galama and his brother as a sister before anywhere on the internet

Is it a duplicate?

Sindacilla Odrade van Friesland or rather the Sindacilla van Friesland that was connected before I deleted the "Prinses Dochter Radboud II " Had many doubles that I cant find now. One wasI think the spelling is Walacher I van Corvey

What you might want to do, Dorothy Smid, is to follow the tree up, using your now good sources, and note where the problems come in, and merge in duplicates as they appear, and ask for us to detach or unmerge where necessary.

Showing 151-180 of 7450 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion