Please do NOT merge unsourced duplicates into the MEDIEVAL tree

Started by Sharon Doubell on Friday, July 29, 2016
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 361-390 of 7672 posts

Richard Albert Hendrix, Jr this has been completed.

I try to take care of what I can but some are difficult / won't let me. Thank you Erica.

I'm glad you reached out, we're here to help.

https://www.geni.com/family-tree/index/6000000039194147177?highligh...
I think the 2 names are "different languages" but it is before 1500 so you get to do what is right

Albéric d'Austrasie

Alberic of Austrasia

are the same person

IIRC there's a bunch of Big Charlie's duplicates still hanging around.. Project for some ambitious Curator with time, if any, on his/her hands. :-D

Don't merge them in - please!!

I think the goal needs to be to merge them but i am happy to leave it to you Sharon :)

No - those merges ripple all the way down the tree. This, I'm not happy to do.

I suggest a simple function: If identified GOOD geni duplicates of a profile occur with only one creator and no sources and the profile has no parents: Then a red "Delete profile" button should appear which may O N L Y be activated by a curator. A green button for "Keep this profile" should be the curators alternative. The curator must not necessarily delete more than one such profile a day..

>If identified GOOD geni duplicates of a profile occur with only one creator and no sources and the profile has no parents

In that situation the duplicate should just be merged in and Data Conflicts resolved, merging a single profile is not a big deal.

>A green button for "Keep this profile"

Simply not deleting it would achieve the same thing wouldn't it?

I would have to do an experiment but i am pretty sure that if I came across a single floating profile, duplicate or not, I would be able to delete it. I am not sure if that is a Curator privilege or just a function of floaters. I think the Delete button i also available on profiles which only have one connection to the tree.

> The curator must not necessarily delete more than one such profile a day..

No, Curators are trusted users expected to exercise caution and good judgement so limiting in this way would be pointless. Also if a Curator "went rogue" there is unready functionality to Undelete.

The real issue is creation of duplicates in the first place, i see two problematic sources:

Newbies that don't understand how Geni works and/or aren't capable of finding the existing profiles.

Experienced users who understand the Geni concept but for one reason or another make dupes and don't merge them in (or request a merge if unable to merge themselves).

If we could stop these two sources of duplicates then deleting or merging the would not be an relentless ongoing battle but rather and occasional house keeping chore.

PS: I have began posting about this problem in Discussion threads seven years ago, since then it has become much easier for Curators to deal with duplicate trees. I have not seen any progress on the side of stopping the creation of those trees. I am not saying no effort has been made, i am just not aware of any and can't see any evidence suggestive of it.

Deleted duplicate profile of Ragnar Lothbrok

Alex, I have to say your posts as well as the nudging of others has enabled me to look for the correct profiles to link my tree to. thank you and everyone who have helped.

You are most welcome Richard, I am glad you are enjoying the site.

OK, is a Swedish version of Æthelred "the Unready", King of the English, who also turns out to have another dupe in Æthelred "the Unready", King of the English

Delete! is 36th great grandfather of the manager and has at least 20 generations of ancestors. Talk about spoiling Sunday morning :(

Okay... so one of the profiles from the standalone tree that i mentioned in the previous post just got merged into the MP, but it was done by a PRO so that means it wasnt actually a standalone tree.
I undid the merge but now thinking about it there must be a connection elsewhere? .
I haven't finished merging in the tree from last week yet! Sisyphus with Syphilis this cleaning business is tedious.

I agree with your sibilant alliteration :-)

Ruprecht II, Pfalzgraf und Kurfürst von der Pfalz These are the same & it has lots of duplicates on down the line.

Ruprecht II, Pfalzgraf und Kurfürst von der Pfalz This is where to look at half brother, he is the duplicate.

Thank you Janet

Showing 361-390 of 7672 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion