Ragnar "Lodbrok" Sigurdsson - Ragnar Lodbrok Sigurdsson

Started by Gregg VanSolen Rasor on Monday, July 11, 2016
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 122 posts
7/11/2016 at 9:12 PM

I'm amazed and very happy to find that Ragnar is my 36th Great Grandfather. There has always been something in me that made me like Vikings! From a small lad until now, especially now that my wife took me to a Sherwood Forest Faire here in Central Texas and I wanted to go in full garb like everyone else. So now I'm making our armor and a few things to hang on our belts.Bought a real sword from Pakistan made from Damascus steel with full length fuller. Making the shields and I also am making the froggers to hold my axe. It's a replica of the one that ragnar uses on the show Vikings. As I said I'm very excited to have such a great man as my Great Grandfather!!!

i

7/11/2016 at 10:03 PM

Greetings Greg, you have started an amazing "Geni Journey" and you will meet cousins from all over the world. You are my 22nd Cousin, once removed! My Swedish Mattson (Johannes Mathiason) Great Grandfather made his way to New Zealand.
Ragnar is my 28th Great Grandfather. Such a great man but met a terrible death in the snake pit. So sad.
It sounds like you now have a wonderful new hobby working on steel creating replicas that your forefather wore and used.
Coralie

7/11/2016 at 11:12 PM

Greetings Greg. Welcome to the family, "Lodbrok" is my 34th great grandfather.
Kind regards from Stockholm, Sweden
Jan

Private User
7/12/2016 at 2:01 AM

Hi!

Hi Greg!

This is interesting.

I found that you are my "31st cousin twice removed" and Ragnar "Lodbrok" Sigurdsson is my 40th great grandfather.

Sunny greetings from Sea Lapland, Finland.

Raili

7/12/2016 at 3:09 AM

Sorry to disappoint you all, but the "person" Ragnar Lodbrok Sigurdsson has probably not existed. The chronology in the different sagas are off, the places he should have been are impossible since he had to either live a very long time or be at several places at the same time.

The two sagas mentioning him are written several hundred years after he supposedly lived.

The stories about him are most certainly a mix of several different people with the firstname Ragnar and they must have lived between 750 - 865.

So, Ragnar Lodbrok is a fictional person.

7/12/2016 at 7:04 PM

Well folks, my "genealogical bubble" has just been burst big-time. I do head-spins when information such as that of Ragnar presents. We would not want to believe in a" fictional person", let alone have him as an ancestor who can never be "the flesh of our flesh and bone of our bone", as the Scots would say. But then, maybe ............

Private User
7/12/2016 at 7:17 PM

I believe in Ragnar! ; )

Private User
7/12/2016 at 8:50 PM

Just because Ragnar is a composite profile doesn't necessarily mean he is fictional, as in Peter Pan is a fictional character.. If you can trace yourself back to Ragnar you're tracing yourself back to multiple Vikings, not just one. So go ahead and rejoice in your newfound Viking identity and create your historical replica equipage - and enjoy the whole experience!

7/13/2016 at 1:14 AM

Abbie has the right idea, the theory of Ragnar as a composite does not mean he did not exist it means the version of him that we have is not factually accurate.

Maybe more accurate to say your are descendant from "one of" the Ragnars :)

7/13/2016 at 1:48 AM

Thank you Abbie and Alex for the "feet on the ground" approach to Ragnar, whichever one he is.

Ulf, good on you :).

Private User
7/13/2016 at 2:20 AM

Remi Trygve Pedersen: I think all of us know, that Ragnar Lodbrok Sigurdsson might not have existed. I knew it, anyway.

Still it is exiting, and he might have existed, too. :)

Private User
7/13/2016 at 8:00 AM

Gregg VanSolen Rasor and Coralie Kay Mattson.
They all say the same thing differently. Be the rawest form or with the heart, or compassion or with feet on the ground (as told Coralie)! The truth is that their ancestors lead you to the Viking age. If Ragnar really existed, surely he was one of the sources of your blood! Enjoy him as true!

7/13/2016 at 3:35 PM

Sandro, you are a wise man. As is said "Always look on the bright side!"
Thank you.

Private User
7/13/2016 at 6:22 PM

;-)

7/13/2016 at 9:32 PM

Never in my wildest thoughts would I have thought my 33rd great grandfather was possibly: Ragnar ! Even if this is a combination of ancestors, it is fun to see this. A lot of people have Scandinavian blood; my DNA test told me I have 9 percent. I saw all the episodes of Vikings. I am thankful to be living in my century & where I am. History is made alive when your bloodline may of been a part of it.

7/13/2016 at 9:34 PM

Was it true that Rollo was Ragnar's half brother? Geni.com says (it this is correct) he is related to me, too.

7/13/2016 at 10:42 PM

If my ancestry leads me from Normandy to Denmark the i have to believe in my heart that this man truly existed. If the Hastings are documented then why wouldn't they be able to have some sort of record of their ancestors?

7/13/2016 at 10:52 PM

Remi i wasnt going by a tv show! Im following my blood lines back so who cares what the tv says anyway? They have him as Ragnar Lothbrok! His real name is definatly different! Especially the Ragnar Little Breeches one and Ragnar Hairy Pants! These names came from history passed down through the generation!

7/14/2016 at 12:18 AM

Earlene Lenora Perry

THE Rollo was absolutely not Ragnar Lothbrok's brother (or 1/2 brother).

Did someone named Ragnar have a brother named Rollo? Probably but that is not the point. The Vikings tv show on History channel is great, i never miss an episode, but historically it's pretty crap.

Geni.com most definitely should not show them as 1/2 brothers, i will take a look and remove that relationship ASAP

Private User
7/14/2016 at 12:38 AM

Somehow, it's a bit amusing when some people reject almost all as in "everything is just a myth, legend, a saga = fairy tale =nonsense.

----------------------------------

Oral tradition, unthinkable, I can't even remember my four digit long password.

Runes, how is that an alphabet, it's just streaks! by the way, the first educational system didn't start until around 1085 in scandinavia, ha, I got you twice there!

How could they have existed, they were simpletons compared to us now, without supermarkets and MasterCard, where and how did they buy food? So you claim they had both bartering and coins, that's a contradiction!

Traveled around half of the world, at that time? No way! That would be impossible because Shen Kuo didn't invent the compass until after 1050!

No, they was from another country you say, so they can't be related to us here, they had no airplanes.. and even if they went, where from would they get any passports?

http://www.hali.com/news/vikings-at-the-british-museum/
http://www.hubert-herald.nl/Norge.htm

7/14/2016 at 5:54 AM

By the way hello to my distant Cousins, it is very nice to know you!!!

7/14/2016 at 10:29 AM

Thank you Alex Moles.

7/14/2016 at 10:29 AM

Sorry, "Moes."

7/14/2016 at 10:49 AM

I'm not sure how we go from real people to "fictional people" when we have tracked our relatives and have read history on these people in the English achives? I am not saying I have read anything on Ragnar yet but I am getting as much as i can on the Vikings Westard movements!

Private
7/15/2016 at 6:22 AM

Ulf Ingvar...do not forget the sunstone!!!

Private User
7/15/2016 at 7:23 AM

A long text:

I am a Christian, Catholic. I know the question about the existence of Jesus. About his divinity. For a long time I studied other religions and I often had a tendency to follow them. But there is a moment in your life that you simply decide to have faith and follow with body and soul his convictions.

Well! I once read about on an italian lawyer who was accusing the Catholic Church of having invented Jesus.

Even though Jesus was invented, the texts of his teachings, his defense in favor of oppressed women, children, the humble and those who need love and compassion and look at your neighbor! (Here it does not matter what the MEN made with the advantage of representing Him) are texts so perfect, so modern and so revolutionary, that HE BECOMES REAL! And of course, our own faith in his existence.

I met a legist doctor who was one of the few people who have studied in loco the Shroud of Turin. Before anyone says about the recent data on the radiocarbon dating (carbon-14 dating), it was done stupidly cotton patches, grafted onto the cloth to restore parts destroyed by a recent fire.

The medical diagnoses are amazing, on the wounds, blood composition, etc. But what caught my attention was the way the body image was projected on the linen fabric.

This was accomplished by some type of radiation that three-dimensionally printed the body shape surrounded by the cloth.

I work with three-dimensional surface modeling from photos taken by drones\UAVs, using very sophisticated equipment. The image of the Shroud is impossible to have been created by some prior art to modern times. Especially at the time stipulated by radiocarbon dating performed wrongly. The Shroud was currently one result of a 3D printer.

All this to say that even without written historical records "during" the time in which Jesus lived, in which the reports were written some time later, but even with such demonstration of faith, so much acceptance and technological evidence I have described, there are millions of people who do not believe in Jesus.

The same goes for Ragnar.

Faith in man Ragnar makes it real. Regardless of how many individuals he may have been treated, the mixing of bloods makes a man in whom we may be discussing here. We can only wait for future discoveries. The confirmation of the individual or which men have generated the "sons of Ragnar."

Just a tip: Many information being sought here have been discussed in https://www.geni.com/discussions/129645

7/15/2016 at 4:08 PM

Amen Sandro! Your responses are based on logical and practical approaches and faith. You are an inspiration. I have learnt in this life, that faith is something that nobody can take from you. It is so precious and no price can be put on it. You can be battered on the outside, but the this rare gem called faith will continue to be honed and polished bringing strength into the weak places of ignorance.

7/15/2016 at 4:43 PM

Just remember that in geneaology we deal with sources and facts, not faith. We can believe that a relationship is true, but it's not a fact before we have the sources to back up what we believe.

Private User
7/15/2016 at 6:44 PM

If you knew how much my faith helped me find the real sources of numerous line endings during this year! Incredible things have happened! No one would believe!

I only do a connection when I get the records that prove this connection. I never added persons without proof. Often I have disconnected profiles for lack of reliable data.

About Ragnar, someone made a connection in some of my ancestors. I didn't. I do not even know if I'm really a descendant of Åløf, Björn and Sigurd! Here at Geni, they connected me to Adam! :-)

But, I enjoy Ragnar Lodbrok Sigurdsson!

Private User
7/15/2016 at 11:16 PM

Ragnar is my 36 generation great grandfather

Showing 1-30 of 122 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion