Wermund, king of the Angles - There are several merges on this profile...

Started by Randi Charlotte Kjærvik on Monday, July 4, 2016
Showing all 20 posts
7/4/2016 at 2:52 PM

...with slightly different data yet to be resolved:

https://www.geni.com/merge/resolve/6000000002122855531

To those who have added the profiles; do you have sources?
And can you please resolve the conflicting data accordingly?

Thanks. :)

7/4/2016 at 3:32 PM

He also has two fathers that I'm not sure whether to merge or not...

Wihtlaeg

Waegdaeg Angeln, van

7/5/2016 at 7:46 AM

The information in the About section is from Wikipedia; I've marked it as such.

One of the fathers is from a recent giant medieval tree duplicate we're still merging in.

I'll go look at all this. The medieval sources are contradictory, is one thing going on; another is that the Anglo-Saxon gets translated differently by different scholars; another is, well, just plain problematic merging.

Back in a sec.

7/5/2016 at 7:49 AM

I love it that he shows up in Beowulf:

...forþam Offa wæs

geofum and guðum gar-cene man,

wide geweorðod; wisdome heold

eðel sinne, þonon Eomær woc

hæleðum to helpe, Heminges mæg,

nefa Garmundes, niða cræftig.

7/5/2016 at 9:11 AM

Ok. I think it's all tidied up now.

7/5/2016 at 10:47 AM

Awesome, Anne Brannen ! :))

Thanks for the fun fact on Beowulf. What is that language? Reminds me of old Norse, and yet it's different.

Private User
7/5/2016 at 10:50 AM

I looked thru some of them, Icel for example, he and his people are described as pagans, but the correct word should be polytheists, pagans are used in a similar way as the word Gentile, a non Jew, thus pagans, a non christian, but we can't say that some people of them weren't Christians, a lot of findings in Scandinavia from the period of 400's indicate that Christianity already in that time were known and likely had worshipers also. Wouldn't it be ironic if they actually were Christians and fled to a more secure place...

7/5/2016 at 10:52 AM

It's Anglo-Saxon.

We have some evidence that Anglo-Saxon and Old Norse were to some extent mutually intelligible. Not entirely, but one could get along, in simple things.

And I find that Old Norse makes sense to me. (Modern Norwegian, not so much, though I can thank people for food and say that yes, we love this land.)

7/5/2016 at 10:53 AM

So sorry! Things got crossed. My answer was to Randi Charlotte Kjærvik

7/5/2016 at 11:00 AM

It absolutely seems plausible that Christianity could have spread this far in 400 years.

7/5/2016 at 11:07 AM

Anne: I see some strong similarities, and it makes sense that they could communicate.

Private User
7/5/2016 at 11:10 AM

Randi Charlotte Kjærvik I made an easy translation based on word similarity to the Swedish language, and added some extra words for the understandings sake. Any translation however, need a context to be good translated, so don't mine it to seriously.

...forþam Offa wæs
för detta offe var (känd)

geofum and guðum garcene man,
givmild och (för) gudom kämpande man

wide geweorðod; wisdome heold
vida värdesatt (för sin) visdom hållen

eðel sinne, þonon Eomær woc
ädelt sinne, (genom) honom Eomær väckt

hæleðum to helpe, Heminges mæg,
huld till hjälp, Herminges måg

nefa Garmundes, niða cræftig.
nevö Garmundes, (fiender) ned (slog) kraftigt.

Private User
7/5/2016 at 11:40 AM

If the common practice of the Christian Church was to replace existing pagan deities and places of worship with analogous persons and rituals of Christian content, then we can also imagine that the opposite sometimes occurred, we can also agree that the thought of freedom of religion isn't a new phenomena, but instead very old and that most likely the cause for the opposite are the later three big dominating world religion based on Abrahamism that gradually actually have led to monotheism in many countries, but also very late in a historical context.

It's pretty fun to think that we today are going back to a more openness and freedom of religion, like it should have been all the time, at least here in the west...

7/5/2016 at 12:36 PM

Private User , nice!! And very comprehensible.

Thanks! :))

Private User
7/5/2016 at 1:02 PM

Nja, jag kunde ju ha varit mer noggrann.

...forþam Offa wæs = för om detta om Offa visstes,
så uttrycker vi oss ju inte längre, men ordet går tillbaks in i veta, därav över till känna till, visste är en böjningsform av veta, det borde vara rätt.

7/5/2016 at 2:58 PM

In English, the piece I gave says:

"Therefore far away men praised Offa for his fighting and his food-giving. He was a spear-bold warrior, and ruled wisely over his kingdom. Eomer, the help of the helmsmen, the kin of Hemming, the grandson of Garmund, woke to him [Garmund], who was crafty in war."

I took it out of the poetic structure to make it make sense. I will further make it clear in English:

"Because of all this [meaning whatever it was going on in the poem before this], even men who lived very far away praised Offa, for his fighting as well as his generosity. He was a great warrior, as well as a wise leader. One of his descendants was Eomer the fine warrior, who was one of Hemming's kinsmen, and was the grandson of Garmund, who was himself a very fine warrior."

Anglo-Saxon poetry is very strong in structure; there are many words which mean the same thing, so that the alliterative structure can be upheld easily.

3/17/2017 at 8:13 AM

Randi
see For explanation of name changes
http://www.no-tie.com/WarmanWarmundEnglishEunamesof UnitedkingdomEtmologicalDictionary-1901.jpg

http://www.no-tie.com/Workman for Warman-SurnamesoftheUnitedKingdomAConciseEtymologicalDictionary-1901.jpg

http://www.billwarman.com/Waermund to Warman.jpg

Bill

2/18/2019 at 2:15 PM

Offa is a legendary king of the Angles in the genealogy of the kings of Mercia presented in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle. He is the son of Wermund and the father of Angeltheow. ... He has been identified with Uffo (also Uffe, Uffi of Jutland), a legendary Danish king in the Gesta Danorum by Saxo Grammaticus

3/3/2020 at 6:49 AM

Wærmund to Warman
is an ancestor of the Mercian royal family, a son of Wihtlaeg and father of Offa. The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle makes him a grandson of Woden, but the Gesta Danorum written by Saxo Grammaticus goes no farther than his father, while the Brevis Historia Regum Dacie of Sven Aggesen makes Wermund son of king Frothi hin Frokni

Showing all 20 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion