DNA Integration Superthread

Started by Mike Stangel on Thursday, June 30, 2016
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 151-180 of 1387 posts

Yesterday, I recieved a notice that I now have 15 matches on my DNA...I Still only count the 14 that I had previously... Would you happen to know why I'm still only showing 14 matches...TY, Art

Well, It's ok..Not super thrilled, Due to issues with the algorithm of Geni's one-sided search method to link individuals. I think it's best to improve the search method first before going on. Don't get me wrong it's super great that your now able to use DNA from family tree but it's not that hard to set up domain controllers to link account's from another domain.
I would rather be able to control the search method to search paternal or maternal line only. The issue with the algorithm is once it finds the root it doesn't want to find other root and it would also be nice to see it show you the different connections. I know sometimes I connect to a person 3 or 4 ways, would like to see that feature.

Efrain Ramirez Jr. - I am totally baffled as to what you are referring to --
"the algorithm of Geni's one-sided search method to link individuals" -
and
"set up domain controllers to link account's from another domain" -- these are referring to what??

As I understand from Mike's explaination to me - what is currently happening - you link to your FTDNA Account, then FTDNA reports to Geni - for every one of your matches who has a linked Geni Account - that that person is a Match for you on Geni - for each person giving the Geni Profile - which Geni then lists as a Match for you. And I believe the shared cM and longest segment are also coming directly from FTDNA (not via any DNA analysis by Geni).

Elyse Vahjen(c) - since folks can update DNA for Profiles which are not Geni Members, and given how Profiles will appear to you if they are Private, unclaimed, and outside your max Family (as shown by current Geni connections), think above also explains why you sometimes see Private and then last name among your DNA connections.

I uploaded my 23andme raw data about two weeks ago and not a single match yet. I'll get Mum to upload hers to test out weather there's a glitch with mine but is there a reason why there are no matches?

yeah when Are we gonna get stuff christmastime?

I did the same, uploaded dna from 23andme,- but don't know what to do to access it here or what happened to it after it hit the geni site.

just found out I am 11th cousin to Arthur Nelson, who just posted above on this discussion. I will be 65 on 7-27. Notice the time he posted? is this another example of what we might call chaotic synchronicity, because I don't even know where to look for relations through dna testing on geni?

Andrea (Andi) Bowe is your 11th cousin once removed

Arthur Ray Nelson is your 15th cousin

Kirsten-Louise Mason and Private and Andi Bowe -- in post on 6/30/2016 -https://www.geni.com/discussions/157595?msg=1092650 - Mike told us "we're still working on the pieces we need to match Autosomal DNA between providers -- meaning you may end up waiting a month or more while we put those tools in place."

For FTDNA they are using the matching that FTDNA did. They are still working on developing code to do actual matching from the DNA - or at least, for matching between DNA analysis done by different companies.

A month from 6/30/2016 has not even come yet. And his post says "a month or more"!!
In my experience, Programming often takes longer than expected. So would not be surprised if we do not start seeing anything for matches to 23andme and Ancestry much before the end of August.

lois Yeah I thought as much.. Just as long as it's before dec 25 that's why i'm giving em time.

thanks for the updates

Andi - You are most welcome!

Just saw a comment in another thread - https://www.geni.com/discussions/157991?msg=1097029 - "I can now not access any profiles that have uploaded DNA. I assume that the "problem" is that I live in Israel, but there needs to be a solution."

Thanks Lois

Thanks Mike - very excited about this and I think I managed to do it with the kind help of another family member, who is more technical savvy than me. Very nice feature and much needed!

Hi everyone,

I'll respond to the messages above but first, I want to let you know that we've released a new authorization page for the Family Tree DNA connector, that allows you to choose who's getting the DNA. You're asked to select a radio button (yourself or a relative) and if you choose a relative, you can use our name-tagging interface to select which relative you want.

I hope this will address the problems we've had where users who initiate the transfer from the FTDNA Partner Applications page, end up accidentally posting their relative's DNA to their own profile. If you have any problems with it please let me know.

Lorna Henderson, PY346656C1 you may be experiencing the same problem Lois helped me diagnose, which is that autosomal matches are only listed for profiles where the FTDNA kit remains linked. Did you link the kits for your close relatives, or did they do it themselves? Were the kits subsequenly disconnected, from the FTDNA Partner Applications page? If so, that's why they're no longer showing as a match after you unlinked and re-linked your own. I know this is frustrating but the only way to ensure those matches appear, is for the kits to remain connected.

Elyse Vahjen(c) I may need to look at your specific case to say for sure, but it sounds like a Geni user upoaded DNA for his/her relative (a private profile) and that DNA is matching yours. In this case what you want to do is use the "contact DNA manager" link to get in touch to compare ancestor lists, perhaps request that the manager add you to his/her Family Group so that you can see the private profiles. As Harald mentioned, if the DNA results were imported from YSearch or Mitosearch, it's possible the "contact" link will send you there, so that you can use the contact link on that site.

Mike Stangel: My DNA results have been linked but nothing happens after that. I see no indication on my profile and no DNA match notifications on Geni.
A suggestion: It should be made compulsory that Curators on Geni link or conduct a DNA test so as to set sn example for others to follow. Also I feel this will benefit some parts of the world haplogroups more as third party countries find it expensive, considering connecting the wotld tree this needs to be addressed for the long term. Cheers and keep up the good work.

Thank you Mike! I will try your suggestions.

Prof. Dr. Engr. Shaun José Rodrigues I see in our logs that you authorized the link yesterday, however we never received any DNA data from FTDNA. When you check the FTDNA Partner Applications page ( https://www.familytreedna.com/my/partner-applications ) does it show "Connected" in green?

Mike Stangel : Yes it does, I took a snap shot and here is the link to confirm.
Thanks for looking into this, I hope it gets resolved - is this problem from FTDNA ?

https://www.geni.com/photo/view/6000000010073388788?album_type=phot...

Prof. Dr. Engr. Shaun José Rodrigues yes, as far as I can tell FTDNA is not making the call to send us the data. I'll contact them about it, but it would be helpful if you would send me the Kit Number that you're using to log into their site. Use https://www.geni.com/threads/new/54 to send it to me privately.

Mike Stangel : Sure, sent it to you privately :)

I got my Y-67 and mtDNA results today (Kit B79082). I had previously uploaded/linked my autosomal results to Geni. The new results are not uploading automatically, and I can't find links to force it. What now?

Mike Stangel, similar to Prof. Dr. Engr. Shaun José Rodrigues here is another user that took one of the flavors of National Geographic's test:

John Richard Ahrens, Jr has taken National Geographic Geno 2.0 Next Generation. This means he "only" has Y SNP data and his haplogroup at FTDNA. He does NOT have any STR marker data from this type of test.

This could be something for the knowledge base perhaps to explain what people will actually see here when people have tested one of the three flavors of National Geographic's test. I usually refer to this page here to refresh my memory on what each version of it tested: https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/imports/already-tested-genograp...

Mike Stangel I had this conversation with John Dale Kessel and since my FTDNA data is visible on their website which was transferred from Nat Geo project and was the Geno 2.0 kit, I imagine this data is of no use to Geni at the moment. I hope that the necessary steps will be taken by Geni and FTDNA to get this arranged and sorted. Thanks again for all the information John. Your a star !

I have been looking for information on how long it might take for uploaded DNA results from Ancestry to show up on Geni. I have not been able to find that information spelled out anywhere, however when I read this information written by Mike Stangel, it made me think that there is a long wait (perhaps a month) until it is integrated. Can someone tell me if I am understanding this correctly, or perhaps point me in the right direction, or let me know if I have just missed something spelling this out on the website. Thanks

This is what I read from this thread that prompted my post: ..... if you've had your Autosomal DNA tested with AncestryDNA or 23andMe, you have two choices:

1. Do a transfer through FamilyTree DNA and then link that account -- more information at https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/imports/transfer-autosomal-ance...

2. Download your raw autosomal data from Ancestry / 23andMe and upload it to Geni at https://www.geni.com/dna-tests/upload_autosomal

The first option will cost $39 unless you can recruit 4 friends to also transfer their autosomal DNA, but you will be able to transfer your results to Geni as soon as the transfer process is complete at FTDNA.

The second option is free but we're still working on the pieces we need to match Autosomal DNA between providers -- meaning you may end up waiting a month or more while we put those tools in place.

Hi Ann, I haven't seen an update on that timeframe.

Showing 151-180 of 1387 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion