DNA Integration Superthread

Started by Mike Stangel on Thursday, June 30, 2016
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1261-1290 of 1387 posts

For you visual learners, DNA trees & charts help me a lot more than tutorials. :)

I read the blogs and try to follow along the test conditions. For large families, you have to eliminate all the brothers and cousins; that’s the challenge the Germanna people face (aside from all the same names).

Erica Howton C
Today at 12:59 PM

John Back is not Y DNA related to Henry Back, Sr.

Remember that I is not R is not E?

https://www.familytreedna.com/public/Bach_to_Back?iframe=yresults J-Culpeper Co VA to Wayne Co KY John Back b. 1760 CulpeperVA d. 1845 Monroe Co IN R-M269

https://www.familytreedna.com/public/Bach_to_Back?iframe=yresults Group A-Germany to Virginia to Eastern Kentucky E1b1b1a3

I should say that John Henry Back, of Culpeper County looks poorly defined. There’s no DNA attached, but the people who went to Culpeper County are the R group & is different from the Kentucky group E’s.

John Back, of Monroe County Has unlikely parents.

He’s a Culpeper County Back, parents are not shown on the spreadsheet, & it looks like he could be a son of John Henry Back, of Culpeper County

But now we’re off topic.

By the way, I’d suggest adding toponyms to the display name for all these Hermans, Harmons, Johns, John Henry’s, and German name tabs for the immigrant generation.

Can someone please help her with the Y dna attached to her profile?: Cranford

Mike Stangel - could you please check this out?
Cranford assures me the YDNA showing on her Profile is not hers, and has told me
""The DNA attachment should be right now it is attached to Bobby. I think they have that on me since I manage it because my DNA is attached to me."
She also said " I got Bobbys Y to also attach to Oliver but it wouldn't go higher to Joseph or George Clinton Cranford."
Bobby is Private (the Great Grandson of George Clinton Cranford thru son: Joseph then his son Oliver. Cranford is also a Great Grandchild of George.)

I am now aware of two Geni users each of whom has someone else's DNA Kit linked to their own profile.
It feels like this is getting increasingly common.

When explaining they should disconnect it from their Profile, connect it to the correct profile does not result in any correction --
What responsibility do I have?
What actions can I take? What actions should I take?

I have a situation of new church records that have been released and have necessitated the change of my maternal great grandparents. I now have two different MtDna haplogroups attached and cannot find the wrong link. Still searching, but it gets complicated when it is new people and in another language. I am confident of the changes, but have no clue why two diffeent happlogroups are populating.

Susanne Floyd - open the DNA tab, there’s a tree. Also, post a profile you see the conflict on.

Cranford still has her male relative's DNA attached to her own female profile and needs help. It needs to be corrected as it is her maternal line and does not propagate anywhere because it is erroneously attached.

Hilma Beck that has conflict.

Data supports the newly attached parents from multiple sources in newly digitized church records that are proprietary right now and cannot be posted on the profile except for information. Thanks to cousins/collaborators for finding. Also explains some large shared DNA among us. But we have tried to figure out the conflict. Mine is V1a1a. The new parents of Hilma were 1st cousins 1x rremoved. Maternal lines on both their sides.

Private User I feel the same frustration.... I have tried to help and I have even reported from profiles but it goes nowhere fast unless someone can see this and help.
There should be some fail-safe for uploading/attaching.

Susanne Floyd -
I see Hilma gets her MtDNA propagated from you, her granddaughter, and from

Lisbeth Anna Margareta (Ekstrand...
fifth cousin once removed
U5a1d2b from mt Full Sequence

But the blood kin path from Hilma to Lisbeth starts Hilma. TO HER FATHER to his mother.
The MtDNA details path shows Sofia to Mariia to Liisa to Maria to Anna to Anna to Hilma
The blood kin path Geni gives is Sofia to Mariia to Lisa to Anna to Anders to Hilma

Erica Howton - is that what you see also for the MtDNA details? Does it make any sense to you?

Please follow through with these obvious problems of people adding someone else's DNA to their personal profile!!!
See:
https://www.geni.com/discussions/253205?msg=1579507

On the DNA Tab on my Profile, I see
"You may unlink your account from Family Tree DNA on the Application Settings page.

You may remove these Family Tree DNA test results from Geni.""

Are those two different ways to accomplish the same thing, or ??
which should folks click on who have accidentally connected someone else's DNA kit to their own Geni Profile.

It has to be done BY the Geni user and these folks, while admitting it is NOT their DNA, still won't disconnect. They have their own reasons but it is fraudulent for them to keep it and most likely if someone could explain to them how to attach it properly they would/will but it is NOT easy to do ...
I have attached DNA to my siblings, spouse, uncle, nephew. It is THIER DNA and very helpful.
It really ticks me off this is ongoing even after people have admitted they have someone else's DNA attached because it means they are needing help and are not just being defiant, IMHO

Cynthia,
I am quite sure they cannot attach it correctly until they undo the wrong connection.
The one I was talking to recently had honestly never noticed that on their DNA Tab.
I suspect neither of them have.

And I do not know if they need to do both, or if the two are equivalent, or???

Private User - I think these are two different ways to accomplish the same thing.

I'm confused here... why does my great grandmother Anna Sofia Ekstrand have two different mtDNA? It should be U5a1d2b.

Going back to trying to find the bad link. By the way, looking at the profiles, so far they do look careful and documented, so If this is genealogical like I so far think, you’re going to need help from Finnish curators / experienced genealogists. Because the discrepancy looks quite far back!

Using Anna Juhontytär Jouhten

Go to the DNA tab, click on “view detail.” This opens the DNA tree. You will see that the common ancestress for Susanne & Lisbeth is not until Liisa Erkintytar Koikkalainen. There’s a hyperlink I can’t get to open via iPad.

Hi Malin Fagerudd glad you found this. Is the study tracking down the discrepancy making sense to you so far?

On the tree:

Liisa Erkintytär Koikkalainen is Malin Fagerudd's 7th great grandmother.

https://www.geni.com/path/Malin-Fagerudd+is+related+to+Liisa-Koikkalainen?from=6000000081966322102&path_type=blood&to=6000000025086804291

Malin descends descends from Liisa’s daughter Margareta Jakobsdotter Skutnabba

Susanne Floyd is Liisa Erkintytär Koikkalainen's 6th great granddaughter.

https://www.geni.com/path/Liisa-Koikkalainen+is+related+to+Susanne-Floyd?from=6000000025086804291&path_type=blood&to=6000000044345175565

Susanne’s mtDNA is V1a1a. She descends from Liisa’s daughter Sofia Jaakontytär Österspangar

Yes, the family tree should be correct. Does this mean that somebody's mother isn't the one we believed her to be? Oh my, that might be tricky to figure out.

Malin Fagerudd :) Indeed.

I think we’ve shown this is not “user DNA error,”; but rather, DNA testing used to tease out genealogical corrections.

So hopefully you & Susanne Floyd can spin off to a dedicated discussion & further pursue the mystery.

It’s a big tree, get relatives involved.

Thanks, Erica Howton and Malin Fagerudd. I think we do need a new discussion thread. Perhaps from the beginning of the common maternal ancestor. This is perplexing but highly probably. I suspect there is an additional wifesomewhere somewhere or link missing based on the two different MtDNA tracks. I wish I knew more.

Private User here is the problem with this
"But the blood kin path from Hilma to Lisbeth starts Hilma. TO HER FATHER to his mother.
The MtDNA details path shows Sofia to Mariia to Liisa to Maria to Anna to Anna to Hilma
The blood kin path Geni gives is Sofia to Mariia to Lisa to Anna to Anders to Hilma"

The shortest relationship to Lisbeth is through Antii. Antii and Anna my great grandparents were 1st cousins 1xremoved. If you look at my tree view, on Hilma, you will see that Anna is the direct matriarchal line.

It is perplexing but explanable.

I am confused. Looking at Hilma's DNA Tab, Hilma = Hilma Beck
it says her MtDNA is propagated from
Susanne Floyd
and from Lisbeth Anna Margareta (Ekstran = Lisbeth Anna Margareta Källman
Those are the only two it says it is propagated from.

Does Lisbeth actually have a direct maternal path to Hilma?
Who is Antil?

Erica Howton
, you say "Susanne Floyd is Liisa Erkintytär Koikkalainen's 6th great granddaughter" - and give a path. BUT that is not a maternal line-only path. It goes thru a son.
If there is no direct maternal line only path, then the problem is Geni's propagation, not DNA, not something misattributed, etc.

Showing 1261-1290 of 1387 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion