Hildur Gudraudsdatter - Gudraud Den Gamle, of Hedmark wrong father for Hildur Gudraudsdatter

Started by Private User on Wednesday, June 29, 2016
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 4 posts
Private User
6/29/2016 at 4:02 PM

Hildur Gudraudsdatter's father is currently set to Gudraud Den Gamle, of Hedmark which doesn't make any sense since they are born the same year,

Should Hildur's father instead be Gudraud Raumsson, born c 346?

(ref: <https://www.myheritage.com/research/collection-40001/familysearch-f...;)

--Paul Elseth

Private User
6/29/2016 at 9:54 PM

The About Me of that profile is a quote from the only source and you will never find a reference to years in the sagas, so they are fabricated and that often get wrong when profiles from two or more trees are merged.

The structure on that MH tree seem to match the Geni profile and the saga, but having the patronymic name Raumsson (meaning "the son of Raum") on Hild's father when his father is named Sølve is definitely wrong if you know what a patronymic name is.

The saga tells that Hild is the daughter of Gudrød the old, son of king Sølve which was the first one who cleared/settled the area that now is called Solør.

Private User
6/30/2016 at 5:55 PM

Ah, yes, I see what you mean, and that makes sense. I should have looked further than just the my www.myheritage.com page that I referenced. Thank you for the explanation.

So, I totally get that the dates are generally wrong due to fabrication/guesswork, merging, etc. I think I understand how little factual/historical data is behind this part of the tree.

However, it seems strange to have dates that are so wrong that fathers and daughters have the same birth year. Has there been any interest or attempt at trying to rework the dates to at least be logically consistent?

I apologize if I'm reanimating an old and tired issue. If there is a message thread discussing this already, please feel free to just point me there, or teach me how to find it.

Thanks!

6/30/2016 at 11:06 PM

The correct date form for these profiles should be something like "birth date: 342 - 638" - based on a documented calculation of what we can assume based on the very limited information available. However, it's a major project to get such a calculation together, and nobody's seen fit to undertake it yet.

(I tried my hand at coding something, but gave up after a few stabs.)

Showing all 4 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion