William "The Conqueror", King of England - Odd path to William "The Conquerer"?

Started by Henrik Johan Bernhard Gahmberg on Thursday, June 23, 2016
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 39 posts
6/23/2016 at 10:38 AM

Hey all
Previously Geni gave the correct path to Willam, and said he was my 24:th great grandfather. The ancestor line should go through Williams son Henry I:s daughter Elizabeth Joan FitzRoy, Princess of England.

You
→ Lars-Henrik Alexander Gahmberg
your father → John Frithiof Wilhelm Gahmberg
his father → Pehr Frithiof Gahmberg
his father → Gustava Wilhelmina Bonsdorff
his mother → Vendla Maria Bonsdorff
her mother → Gabriel Gabrielis Fortelius
her father → Maria Gabrielsdotter Arctopolitana
his mother → Kristina Petersdotter Udnie
her mother → Peter Udnie
her father → William Andrewson Udnie of Tillery
his father → Janet Lyell of Balmaleedie & Haltoun
his mother → Elizabeth Lyle of Cragbate
her mother → Elizabeth Lyle
her mother → Elizabeth Stewart
her mother → Elizabeth, Countess of Lennox
her mother → Donnchadh, 8th Earl of Lennox
her father → Margaret Lennox
his mother → Donald, 6th Earl of Lennox
her father → Margaret of Mar, Lady Sutherland (4th)
his mother → Elen ferch Llywelyn
her mother → Llywelyn the Great, Prince of Gwynedd, Prince of Snowdonia;
her father → Joan Fitzhenry Plantagenet, Lady Snowdon, Princess of Wales
his wife → John Lackland, King of England
her father → Henry II "Curtmantle", king of England
his father → Empress Matilda
his mother → Henrik I, kung av England
her father → William "The Conqueror", King of England
his father

Now Geni claims that William "The Conqueror", King of England is your 19th great grandfather's wife's third great grandfather. The new ancestry line goes through one of Henry I:s older daughters Empress Matilda.

It should show this:
You
→ Lars-Henrik Alexander Gahmberg
your father → John Frithiof Wilhelm Gahmberg
his father → Pehr Frithiof Gahmberg
his father → Gustava Wilhelmina Bonsdorff
his mother → Vendla Maria Bonsdorff
her mother → Gabriel Gabrielis Fortelius
her father → Maria Gabrielsdotter Arctopolitana
his mother → Kristina Petersdotter Udnie
her mother → Peter Udnie
her father → William Andrewson Udnie of Tillery
his father → Janet Lyell of Balmaleedie & Haltoun
his mother → Elizabeth Lyle of Cragbate
her mother → Elizabeth Lyle
her mother → Elizabeth Stewart
her mother → Elizabeth, Countess of Lennox
her mother → Lady Helen Macdonald (Campbell)
her mother → Isabella Mary Campbell
her mother → Sir John White Lion Lamont
her father → Christina Lamont( MacDougall)
his mother → Beatrice Campbell
her mother → Erricka (Elesick) of Carrick, of Carrick
her mother → Donnchadh I mac Gilbert, 1st Earl of Carrick
her father → Gilbert mac Fergus, Lord of Galloway
his father → Elizabeth Joan FitzRoy, Princess of England
his mother → Henrik I, kung av England
his father

6/23/2016 at 10:50 AM

There must be outstanding merge issues around his profile

6/23/2016 at 12:29 PM

I have had relationship paths changed from time to time here on Geni, like the one you show above. Those paths are not researched by me. Just following the Geni... All it takes is another profile being tweaked by someone. The question for me of course is proving that the path actually exists. I have come across several profiles with wrong dates of birth or death by a couple hundred years. Yet someone has linked them. I usually ask a curator to have a look.

6/23/2016 at 1:34 PM

Is the new path actually incorrect? The Geni computer searches for the shortest path, so it will change from time to time even if the two paths already existed.

Mark

6/23/2016 at 2:22 PM

I have experienced the same thing.

Someone said in another discussion that Geni has a "built-in-memory", that uses the latest profiles in your close family area that you have looked at - as basis of which path to show you. And this memory will last for some time before Geni "forgets" about it.

So even if you know there is a shorter path (direct path) to a person, this may not be the chosen path that Geni chooses to show you.

I wish Geni had a button that said "SHOW DIFFERENT PATH". *Sigh!*

6/23/2016 at 5:46 PM

I have used the pushpin to find different or multiple paths by going through the other parent or my grandparents.

Private User
6/23/2016 at 10:10 PM

@Henrik Johan Bernhard Gahmberg

Looks like the name just following Elizabeth Countess of Lennox (in the original path) was changed from Donnchadh, 8th Earl of Lennox, to Lady Helen Macdonald (Campbell) in the second path, sending you up a different branch of the tree. Perhaps this was a correction? Or a mistake? I haven't looked at the profiles for sources so...

Private User
6/23/2016 at 10:30 PM

To clarify, both the names of parents of Elizabeth Countess of Lennox were referred to on your lists as her mother

6/23/2016 at 11:29 PM

My old friend Tryggve Gestrin and me supposed to have an identical path between Peter Udnie and William "The Conquerer". Geni still shows the correct path for him but not for me. If there has been any changes in the profiles in this path it should affect his path as well.

It might be a copy-paste fault by me when I copied the paths to this tread. The correct path here is through Lady Helen Macdonald (Campbell) . You can find a connection through his husband as well, but it is one generation longer and it is not "direct".

6/23/2016 at 11:40 PM

My path to king William is well documented from several sources. I guess this odd behaviour is due to Geni's calculation algoritms...?

Private User
6/24/2016 at 2:41 AM

William "The Conqueror", King of England is my 28th great grandfather.

6/24/2016 at 7:38 AM

In my quest to add branches to my tree I have found a couple things that could explain this. Only going back a couple generations I find a grandparent who married my grandfathers much older sister. Their granddaughter married my grandfather. Another ancestor had married twice and also had a child from a relationship. All of these individuals are ancestors and have their own branch's tracing back to me. This occurred numerous times in history, so I am not too concerned that Williame I, the illegitimate son of Robert & his mistress Herleva (who was the mother of two other boys, fathered by two other men) may be related by a different path.

6/24/2016 at 8:08 AM

Forgive me for asking are you from Norway?

6/24/2016 at 8:16 AM

Or are you Danish?

6/24/2016 at 8:19 AM

My third guess is Dutch

6/24/2016 at 11:16 PM

From Finland, Swedish speaking minority, of Scottish-German decent ☺

6/25/2016 at 9:21 AM

Descended from both William & King Harold, whom he fought at Battle of Hastings, numerous times and ways...

6/25/2016 at 8:32 PM

He is my 26th great grandather

Private User
6/25/2016 at 9:04 PM

William the Conqueror is my 27th great grandfather. So all of you are my cousins various times removed. Except Roger Jacobs who is my uncle's 14th cousin thrice removed. So "Hello Family"!! Nice to meet you. If you ever come to South Dakota look me up

6/25/2016 at 11:59 PM

We are one BIG Family!! :))

(The Conqueror is my 25th ggf)

6/29/2016 at 3:56 AM

Yes we are indeed a BIG Family!

Geni has now recovered from it's "illness" and shows again the correct path to king William for my part :-)
https://www.geni.com/path/Henrik-Gahmberg+is+related+to+William-The...

7/5/2016 at 10:58 AM
7/5/2016 at 10:59 AM

Wiiliam is my 26th gg

7/5/2016 at 4:35 PM

William is also my 26th gg

William "The Conqueror", King of England is your 26th great grandfather.
You
your mother → Donald J Moore
her father → Elizabeth Moore (Bacon)
his mother → Sylvester Bacon
her father → Norman Bacon
his father → Timothy Bacon
his father → Nathaniel Bacon
his father → Andrew Bacon, II
his father → Nathaniel Bacon
his father → William Bacon
his father → Samuel Bacon
his father → William H Bacon
his father → James Bacon, Sheriff of London
his father → Isabella Bacon
his mother → John Cage, Jr.
her father → Edith Elizabeth Harcourt
his mother → Margaret St. Clair, (geb. Hoo)
her mother → William Hoo, Sir, Knight
her father → Sir Thomas of Hoo, Lord of Luton Hoo
his father → Hawise FitzWarin
his mother → Fulk V (IV) FitzWarin, 1st Baron FitzWarin
her father → Constance de Tosny / Toni / Toeni
his mother → Ralph VI de Tosny, Lord of Flamstead
her father → Constance de Beaumont
his mother → Richard I de Beaumont, Viscount
her father → Constance Mathilde fitzRoy, Vicountess de Maine
his mother → Henry I "Beauclerc", King of England
his father

Private User
7/7/2016 at 6:00 AM

He is my 27 great grand dad.

7/7/2016 at 11:33 AM

William is the father-in-law of my 28th great uncle, Stephen Etienne Henry II Comte de Champagne and Blois
1046–1102
BIRTH 1046 • Blois/Loire et Cher (Friesland)
DEATH 19 MAY 1102 • Captured during 1st Crusade at the Battle of Ramleh and decapitated as prisoner of Saracens in Ramleh, Palestine, Holy Land

7/7/2016 at 11:35 AM

i have also traced 3 lines back to charlemagne in my tree and it chooses paths i cannot control because of overlapping roles as in great uncle and great grandfather i do not know how to unmerge the paths i guess but when i trace each ancestor directly i am more likely to get the correct path for each child, i.e. Louis I the pious, Pepin carloman king of iItaly and a daughter, all direct ancestors,

7/7/2016 at 11:46 AM

This is the Master Profile for Richard II "the Good", Duke of Normandy.
Curator Note from Anne M Berge (11/13/2010):

Richard II 'le Bon' Duc de Normandie. Parents: Richard I 'Sans-Peur and Gunnor de Crèpon.
Spouses: 1. Judith (982-1017), daughter of Conan I de Bretagne. Children:
* Richard III * Adelaide * Robert le Diable * William monk at Fécamp * Eleanor * Matild

Richard II "the Good", Duke of Normandy is your 28th great grandfather.
Andrea Bowe
Clara Olive Bowe your mother
Gladys Angela Senff her mother
Charles Coleman Mansur her father
Darius Mansur his father
James Mansur Sr. his father
Ruth Mansur/Wood his mother
Ann Varnum her mother
Benjamin Stanley her father
Mathew Stanley of Topsfield his father
John Stanley his father
John Stanley his father
Peter Stanley his father
Anne Hastings, Countess of Derby his mother
Mary Sacheverell her mother
Anne Percy, Lady her mother
Henry Percy, 3rd Earl of Northumberland her father
Henry Percy, 2nd Earl of Northumberland his father
Sir Henry "Hotspur" Percy his father
Henry Percy, 1st Earl of Northumberland his father
Mary of Lancaster, Baroness Percy his mother
Henry, 3rd Earl of Lancaster her father
Edmund Crouchback his father
Henry III of England his father
John Lackland, King of England his father
Henry II "Curtmantle", king of England his father
Empress Matilda his mother
Henry I "Beauclerc", King of England her father
William "The Conqueror", King of England his father
Robert I "the Magnificent", Duke of Normandy his father
Richard II "the Good", Duke of Normandy

7/7/2016 at 9:21 PM

Andi Bowe, the relationship algorithm is designed to find the shortest path between two profiles, not the straightest. There is a lot of conversation about how to add options for users to modify how the paths are displayed but not currently anything close to release that i am aware of.

If you see a little grey icon next to your relationship path (sort of like the universal recycling symbol) click on that, it will trigger the algorithm to recalculate the path but can only be pressed every couple of weeks.

Henrik Johan Bernhard Gahmberg, the relationship paths are self altering so if someone is merging (especially high up in the medieval tree) it can have a cascading affect on veryone else, especially so if a false merge is completed. A subsequent merge could change your path back or alter it again.

7/8/2016 at 11:37 AM

Thank you that makes sense, but i was able to reach the right path anyway, i just had to click each ancestor directly and then ask how i was related and this seemed to conquer the algorithm. I worked with a silicon valley genius who patented an algorithm while working for seagate, who never paid him the meager 1k they owed him for using it, and the govt hired him to create an ethernet so they could see your computer from "behind" and you would never know it. I was also awarded the top 1% of American Executives in 2014, and was able to see that their algorithm did not use money, as I have never made any nor raised any. One of the Fathers of General Systems theories and the inventor of not only modern radar applications but also the inventor of the first fractal computer programs, whose work was stolen by 2 computer geeks at IBM where he worked between the hardware and the software for 27 years, and given to Mandelbrot, telling him they used his work to come up with it when they did not, and Mandelbrot did not know computers like Dr. Frederickbernardwood.org did. We co-authored a paper and he founded the non-profit CSIRI.ORG in 1979 in CA. When he passed on in his late 80s in 2006, his sons passed it on to me and I refounded it in 2007 as a 501c3.
I have not advertised nor done any fundraising except a donate button on my csiri.org webpage. Our paper was called Climate Change and Advanced Electromagnetics and we self-published and then I put it online and made books out of it. It contains many out of the box solutions. Here is a link to the ebook:
http://www.lulu.com/shop/andi-bowe/climate-change-advanced-electrom...
Dr. Wood was a very honest and compassionate scientist with many answers that no one in America listened to. He presented a paper in Rio over 20 years ago with great solutions to reversing not only climate change but also recessions, etc. This paper is on his site under Whose World to Lose:Ours! They even had a bill before congress vetoed by the elder President Bush. I have an Ed.S. degree in Education and have self-published my PhD papers as books on lulu.com. My research in quantum physics revealed how new discoveries ought to be used to reform education and society at all levels because we now know we live in a mutable, not a static universe, by restoring the Law of the 7th Generation practiced in the 400 year working democracy called The League of 6 nations used by our founding fathers to write our constitution while leaving out the most important part of the 4 part balance: The Council of the Grandmothers, so conveniently left out of the 3 part balance we now have, using the judicial system and politicians who worship the golden calf of guns, oil and drugs to replace this council who chose a chief to speak for them and chose the chief who was honored the most because he gave (not took) the most to others. Why don't we restore America with the principles we were founded upon, and let those who care restore the balance needed to save our earth from its current condition of 6th mass extinction?

Showing 1-30 of 39 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion