war experiences of Karelians

Started by Johan Lars Agebjörn on Sunday, June 5, 2016
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 31-34 of 34 posts

Thank You veru much, Ulf Ingvar Göte

Hi. I am trying to find links to my mothers history and relatives. She came from Finland in 1942-43, and was raised by a Norwegian fosterfather. When I have done some research I discover that my grandfather was part of the sawmillers who left Norway and went to Kotka to work. He was born in Kymi. Some of these sawmillers went back, and some of them stayed. In this Martinsen/Adolfsen family was there both finnish and russian. My Grandfater came back to Norway and married in Norway in 1922. Then he got my mother appr twenty years after. My father has always said that my mother had russian papers, bu she do not know anything about her history. My theori is that my mother is related to my grandfather in some way - and maybe she is from the Adolfsen family.

My question; Was there a refugee camp in Kotka also in 1942-43 where children was shipped to other countries? Does anyone of you know this side (children shipped away during winter war), and do anyone of you know where to find registrations of these things?. I have tried to find out by the church, but it is difficult because of the GDPR regulations.

@ Ingvild Kristin Larsen Hello Ingvild ! Have you asked National Archives of Finland if there is more information?

this is already very old chain, I have just read this. I suppose our family tree is full of Karelian family so there are plenty Russian names.
My dad, rest in peace, was so called war child and 2 times evacuated from Karelia. He was just a child during war time.
Karelian language was very important for him while he lived and their national sport when he was younger.
He probably didn't have very clear experience of war, I guess.

Showing 31-34 of 34 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion