Ivar Halfdansson, Opplendingejarl - Extra son?

Started by Alex Moes on Friday, April 1, 2016
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing all 12 posts
4/1/2016 at 11:40 PM

I have just completed a merge on Ivar, he now has a son named Harald, Ivar Halfdansson, Opplendingejarl.

I have no idea how accurate this tree is.

If you follow Harald's branch down you will find Jarl Hrolf 'Nose' av Trondheim. I think this might be a duplicate of Jarl Hrolf 'Nose' av Trondheim but am not going to merge at this point.

Hrolf's mother, Thora Sigurdsdóttir, Unsourced was previously connected to a duplicate of Ragnar Lothbrok (as his granddaughter). The MP of Ragnar DOES have a granddaughter Thora Sigurdsdotter but her husband and children do not match this profile.

4/2/2016 at 4:45 AM

Hrolf Nefja is the father of the wife of Ragnvald Mørejarl, who is the grandson of Ivar through Eystein Glumra. His MP is here:

Jarl Hrolf 'Nose' av Trondheim

No source for any parents known.

Gudrød (there are two of them - Gudrød Halfdansson and Gudrød Ivarsson, both kings around the Oslo fjord) is usually a slightly older person than Ivar, and not connected.

I think we can safely dismember this tree into its atomic units and merge them where they fit - the relationships seem .... just off. I've disconnected Gudrød Halvdansson «the Hunter» Veidekonge from his parent.

Private User
4/5/2016 at 5:52 PM

I appreciate your work, as I have more than 5,000 names and I'm constantly finding that one connection or another is false. I love my (our) ancestry, but it is such a lot of work, so your research is so very appreciated.

10/3/2018 at 6:02 AM

SmartCopyConsistency Check:Unknown Halfdansdatter born after the death of her father Halfdan Eysteinsson "the Mild", king of Romerike and Vestfold.Unknown Halfdansdatter born after the death of her mother Queen Lif Dagsdotter.Rolf Gudrodsson born before the birth of his father Gudrød Halvdansson «the Hunter» Veidekonge.King Olaf «Geirstad-Alf» Gudrødsson Geirstadalv, King of Vestfold born before the birth of his father Gudrød Halvdansson «the Hunter» Veidekonge.Rolf Gudrodsson born before the birth of his mother Alfhild Alfarinsdatter.King Olaf «Geirstad-Alf» Gudrødsson Geirstadalv, King of Vestfold born before the birth of his mother Alfhild Alfarinsdatter.Åsa Haraldsdotter is under 12 years old for the birth of her child Ragnvald Gudrödsson.

10/3/2018 at 3:52 PM

Even if the relationships are accurate dates in this part of the tree are extrapolations from historical events mentioned within the sagas. Merge two trees together with different extrapolation methods and the resulting dates will misalign, rinse and repeat 50 or 60 or 300 times and the result is nonsensical.

At one point i purged Odin's tree of dates by deleting every date in every field of every profile in that tree. The dates in the human portions of the saga tree are no more reliable even if the profiles were of people that really existed and even if the "historical" events from which dates are being extrapolated actually happened.

10/4/2018 at 12:18 AM

Dates should probably all be removed then, I agree.

10/4/2018 at 1:09 AM

Yes but... needs expert level knowledge of the various sagas to determine which dates are reasonable estimates, which are logical extrapolations and which have no reasonable justification.
Also you get problems when one person is found in multiple sagas which describe events that can be dated but don't overlap each other.
Way above my pay grade!

Any attempt to automate the process would risk throwing lots of babies away (in the proverbial bath water) but doing it manually would be an enormous (and i imagine thankless) undertaking.

10/4/2018 at 1:56 AM

:-) also above my 'pro bono' pay grade :-)

10/4/2018 at 5:13 AM

I'm sure you know the one about peanuts and monkeys :)

10/4/2018 at 8:38 AM

This is why I work here out of the goodness of my heart :-)

12/30/2018 at 5:42 AM

Thanks for the work and update, Alexander. Loved finding another 32nd great grandfather from Norway! :)
Hope to hear more about this in the near future. L

12/30/2018 at 5:46 AM

Thank you Leoné Gardner , you are welcome.

Showing all 12 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion