Yeshaya HaLevi Horowitz - The first Horowitz - Should we sever the connection from Horowitz to Benveniste?

Started by Randy Schoenberg on Monday, March 14, 2016
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing 31-47 of 47 posts

and here is Mr. Maor second source: Yikra Deshokhvi.
I did not find Benbenishti in the 26 pages of the first edition:
http://www.hebrewbooks.org/pdfpager.aspx?req=19678&st=&pgnu...=

but the second edition has 469 pages. Here
http://www.hebrewbooks.org/5863
Perhaps here someone will find the requested Yichus.

good night all.

Private User please review the previous messages in this discussion.

To respond to Menachem's claim that the Benveniste connection was already known before Levenstein's transcription of the yichus and its publication in Hamelitz in 1883.
1) He claims it is already mentioned in Bar Levai the responsa work by Rabbi Aryeh Leibish Horowitz of Stanislav which appeared in 1861. This book is available online at hebrew books.org and you can see the passage here
http://www.hebrewbooks.org/pdfpager.aspx?req=760&st=&pgnum=6
But it is not from the original book published in 1861, it is from the additional Kuntres Roeh Yisrael published in later editions. This is a biographical and genealogical supplement written by Rabbi Moshe Berger-Hager, son-in-law of Rabbi Yosef Horowitz of Stanislaw, son of the author of Bar Levai. The reprints of the book include the original title page of 1861 but the biography that was written later. The biography has this passage in quotes and gives the source as Yikra Deshichvi (Honor of the Deceased). This term is borrowed from the Talmud Sanhedrin 46b, but I am not sure which publication it is referring to.
I searched in Shem Hagedolim before writing the original article and did not find any reference to the Benveniste connection, just a mention of the fact that Horowitz family has a glorious lineage.

למנחם היקר, עיינתי בספר בר לואי וראיתי שהיחס מובא בקונ׳ רועה ישראל מנכד המחבר ואינו בדפוס ראשון של שנת תרכ״א. ברועה ישראל מעתיק הדברים מ״יקרא דשכבי״ אבל איזה יקרא דשכבי? אני לא יודע ותחלה חשבתי כונתו לכתב היחס שבראש שו״ת חיי ארי׳ אבל זה אינו שלא נקראה שם בשם הזה. ומעניין ששם כ׳ על ר׳ ישעי׳ הלוי איש הורוביץ ״אמרו עליו שהי׳ מגזע רב אהרון הלוי וכו׳ ״ וזה ג״כ הופיע אחרי פרסומו של לעווענשטיין.
אני לא מצאתי בשם הגדולים רק שמשפחת הורוביץ משפחת רם ע׳ במערכת א׳ (יג) על רב אברהם אבי השלה״ק וזרע אברהם זרע קדש רבנים מופלגים וקדושים עכ״ל וע׳ מערכת י׳ (שצט) על רב ישעיה בעל השל״ה בד״ה מהר״ר ישעיה סג״ל הורוויץ ....... וקדושת משפחתו הרמה והנשאה הפלא ופלא מיוחסת ומקודשת כאשר כתב הגאון מהר״ר שעפטיל בנו של הגאון בעל של״ה בצוואתו הנדפסת בסוף יש נוחלין דפוס אמסטרדםץ
הרי לנו שהחיד״א לא הביא שום רמז ליחס לחכמי ספרד וברצלונא וגם יוצא מפורש שבסיס ידיעותיו אודות המשפחה בא מצואת רב שעפטיל

Private User, Randy Schoenberg Thank you so very much for sharing your illuminating clarification of the problem. If I understand correctly the issue is that the source being referred to is actually a later reprinted edition using the original 1861 title page, and that the Horowitz biographical information was appended at this later stage?

Private User discovered an intriguing coincidence regarding the 1649 Amsterdam publication of The Shelah's "Shney Lukhot Habrit", that the publisher was Imanuel Benvenisti.

Along the way through the years, could a constant reference to the "Benvenisti edition" of The Shelah's seminal work have morphed into a mistaken connection between the two?

Rabbi Isaiah Halevi Horowitz (The Sheloh 1558-1628) Yeshaya HaLevi Horowitz, ״HaShala HaKadosh״

--------------------------------------------

Bella Doron (Doron-Lask) PRO
yesterday at 9:17 PM
one interesting information about HASHLA's book SHNEY LUKHOT HABRIT.
Rabbi Yishayahu Segal Horowitz is named HASHLA after that book.

It was first printed in Amsterdam in 1649.
The name of the publisher was: Imanuel Benvenisti.
[1], מהדורת אמשטרדם: דפוס עמנואל בנבנישתי, ת"ט 1649, במאגר הספרים
הסרוקים של הספרייה הלאומית (המהדורה הראשונה)
https://he.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D7%A9%D7%A0%D7%99_%D7%9C%D7%95%D7%97...

Hi all,
I checked in HASHLA's book Shnei Lukhot Habrit, the Amsterda edition, (Page 1 of 859) and contrary to what is written in above remark [1] the name of the publisher is mentioned differently:
באמשטרדם בבית הבחור הנחמד עמנואל בן הישיש יוסף עטיאש בשנת בשובה ונחת לפ"ק
http://www.hebrewbooks.org/pdfpager.aspx?req=45685&st=&pgnu...=
the wording is more or less:
In Amsterdam in the house of the nice guy IMMANUEL son of the old YOSEPH ATIAS [or ATIASH] in the year
בשובה ונחת לפ"ק
=779
=5779 or 4779
= neither year makes sense. being: 2018-2019 or 1018-1019.

However, if you use as a year only the year נחת 9 (a bigger font) it brings us to the year: 1697-1698.

About the Atias family I found in Tidhar encyclopedia:
(משפחת עטיאש נודעת. במאות השנים האחרונות עסקה באמסטרדאם בהדפסה ובהוצאת ספרים):
Famous Atiash family. in the several hundred years published books in Amsterdam. [belonged to the Sefardi community].
http://www.tidhar.tourolib.org/tidhar/view/4/1847

Who wants to check on GENI the connection of an Atias family ancestor and the Hashla?

Thanks to a useful article in Otzar Yisrael in which the author (JD Eisenstein) lists his collection of family histories, I now know that the Yikra Dishchivi mentioned is the one appended to Tahaluchot Olam, a book of sermons published by Rabbi Solomon Horowitz. However I was not able to find an online version yet, the book was first published in 1901, so once again it is a later source than those I have mentioned.

The above Amsterdam edition of Shney Luchot Habrit, from Amsterdam are the second edition.

Here is bibliographical information about the first edition, printed in Amsterdam by Immanuel Benvenisti.

http://aleph.nli.org.il/F/G1HM2VEJABI329CQF65S8Y2HMIRKYY6KJ2XFG4BQF...

The year was
ת"ט = 1648-1649

Ton Tielen maybe you can help us with some history for the publisher Immanuel Benvenisti?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immanuel_Benveniste Immanuel Benveniste (also Manuel Benveniste)[1] (Venice 1608-Amsterdam c.1660) was an Italian Jewish printer in Amsterdam who printed many Hebrew works including an edition of the Talmud from 1644-48.[2][3][4] He was one of a number of notable Portuguese Jewish printers at Amsterdam in the seventeenth century, including Manasseh ben Israel, David de Castro Tartas, and Joseph and Immanuel Athias.[5][6] Benveniste also published the sermons of Saul Levi Morteira in 1652.[7]

Benveniste’s printer’s device (which may have been the family escutcheon) showed an upright lion facing a tower with a star above. Apparently, later printers often “borrowed” this mark for various reasons. The first to do so were Ben Judah ben Mordecai of Posen and Samuel ben Moses ha-Levi, Ashkenazic printers who had previously worked for Benveniste. In their case, Benveniste presumably allowed them to use the mark, perhaps as a show of support for his former employees.[8]

and here seems to be Immanuel Benveniste profile in GENI:

Immanuel Benveniste

I have now severed the connection between Rabbi Joseph HaLevi and Rabbi Benvenisti ben Yossef Ha'Levi. The legend of Spanish descent seems almost certainly to be a late 19th century fabrication, perhaps originating with Rabbi Yosef Levenstein, who already 20 years ago was called "completely unreliable" by Rabbi Meir Wunder in his article "The Reliability of Genealogical Research in Modern Rabbinic Literature" (Avotaynu, Vol. XI, No. 4 Winter 1995, p. 34).

I agree with Arieh Rosenblum and Hatte Blejer as they first stated their cases.

I think you have done great damage.

Has anyone with Horowitz tested dna since, and done an oracle for population on gedmatch ? I have lots of italian and spanish in dad's dna, before it reached further up north.

I believe there were zhoroitzes in Toledo Spain.

I am the g granddaughter of Benzion Horowitz (died 1939 NY).

Believe if you want, but there’s zero evidence that it’s true.

Showing 31-47 of 47 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion