Thomas Palmer, of Virginia - Origins?

Started by Erica Howton on Friday, March 11, 2016
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 13 posts
3/11/2016 at 11:09 PM

gary palmer asks:

I am trying to confirm his birthplace as Rowley, East Riding of Yorkshire, England .

Another link indicates a different birthplace:
http://www.oocities.org/reedsofestill/Palmer.htm#i916
scroll to 5th/6th generation. His birthplace is listed as Jordan's Ferry
in Kent, England. I initially researched Kent and discovered that there is/was no Jordan's Ferry in Kent. Jordan's Journey actually is a location in the Virginia area where Thomas Palmer and family lived. My "guess" was that the information listed in the Jamestown colony URL may have been transposed somehow; unsure. I could find no other Kent birth reference anywhere for Thomas Palmer.

Any clarification regarding his birthplace in Rowley, East Riding of Yorkshire, England will be appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your review and assistance.

===

3/11/2016 at 11:23 PM

I had done some work on the Sammy Jordan family (of Joan his daughter was indeed the wife of Thomas Palmer). Clearly Devon origins. perhaps his wife / mother of his children lived in London.

1st wife of Samuel Jordan

So you have to ask yourself - just how, when & where did he meet & marry her?

Is there a known connection to Beggar's Bush?

In other words, I'm not happy with either Yorkshire or Kent for origins. Kent is associated more with Puritans & yeomen, and Yorkshire sent Quakers & indentured servants.

Devon, now, there you've got adventurers.

3/28/2016 at 5:10 AM

Samual J Jordan was born 1791 GA USA and died 1876 Harald on GA USA so mug have met his wife in the USA His fourth son, my great grand father was born 1827, but no record of where. His son John Alfred Jordan definitely died in England. This line of Jordan's is Dorset, and Devon based from the Eleven Hundreds! Is this the right family

REGARDS JUDY INCE nee Jordan

3/28/2016 at 5:10 AM

Samual J Jordan was born 1791 GA USA and died 1876 Harald on GA USA so mug have met his wife in the USA His fourth son, my great grand father was born 1827, but no record of where. His son John Alfred Jordan definitely died in England. This line of Jordan's is Dorset, and Devon based from the Eleven Hundreds! Is this the right family

3/28/2016 at 5:11 AM

3/29/2016 at 2:26 PM

Judith, thank you for the information.

I recently discovered a Parish registry site in England. Upon review, I found Thomas Palmer (b.1590) with a baptism date of 1592 in Yorkshire.

I am following up with a person in Yorkshire England to verify the information.

gary p.

3/30/2016 at 8:25 AM

HI Gary There is a Beggars Bush Yard in London, also a Beggars Bush in Birmingham. However more importantly Beggars Bush was the name of Samuel Jordan, of Jordan's journey tobacco plantagonist at Jordan's Point. Full address Beggars Bush, Prince George Parish Virginia. He was one of my great grandfather's

Regards Jude

4/6/2016 at 7:51 AM

Judith, thank you for the follow-up and information.

My contact in England did find a Thomas Palmer record;
birthdate of ~1590 in East Riding, Yorkshire; baptism 1592,
This record was noted in the local parish listings. The problem is verifying that this is the Thomas Palmer that I seek. The listing is in Latin.

The parish archivist in England noted that his parish records before 1600 do not really exist. The Latin data on Thomas Palmer was all that existed.

I may be searching for a needle in the haystack at this point, but will continue over the summer.

Thanks again for your efforts and information.

gary p.

7/30/2016 at 8:45 AM

As I found no evidence that Thomas Palmer was born in Yorkshire,
I have focused on his Father and Mother. Their birth, life, and death
are related to Todenham, Gloucestershire, England and nearby areas.

My assumption is that Thomas may have been born in this area, but I am unable to find any birth or baptism records to confirm this theory. I am attempting to run down a lead indicating London as his birthplace.

Any information/ideas are appreciated.

Thanks.

gary p.

Private User
7/30/2016 at 3:26 PM
7/30/2016 at 3:42 PM

The notes in http://www.bernethy-eby-scribner.com/getperson.php?personID=I409&am... are interesting.

It suggests that

Children of EDWARD PALMER and MERIAL PALMER are:

17. i. THOMAS16 PALMER, b. 1580, London, England; d. 1633, Northumberland County or Accomac, Virginia..

And that this Thomas is the one named in Edward Palmer's Will.

Good source for the will: Water's Genealogical gleanings in England.

7/31/2016 at 8:33 AM

Donna and Erica, thank you for the follow-up.
The links are helpful in my continuing research..

I will provide updates, as applicable, in the future.

Thanks again.

gary p.

Showing all 13 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion