Jannetje Symonse Schepmoes Symons Pels (Sijmons) - Shepmoes name in early New Netherland

Started by Private User on Sunday, March 6, 2016
Problem with this page?

Participants:

• Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni member

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 25 posts

http://www.newnetherlandinstitute.org/files/5813/5543/8913/Register...

Jan Schepmoes and a real estate deal with Nicholaes Sloper (1642)

We might assume then that Jan is of the prior generation to Jannetje Symonse Schepmoes Symons Pels (Sijmons), if indeed htey are related at all...

Here is a duscussion of the setllement of Fort Orange... It is unlikeluy that Esopus/Kingston had residents at this time... especially children
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Orange_(New_Netherland)

It is not clear that Jannetje Symonse was a Shepmoes. I've removed that attribution thinking that Jannetje was confused with another: Annetje Shepmoes bapt. 2/16/1642...

Jannetjen Sijmons

is a candidate for a merge too..

What do you think Alex Moes

No idea Michael, while there is an obvious similarity in name I am from the Moeskoker family no link at all, I have seen the name before and i even think i have seen the ships passenger list showing the progenitor Schepmoes arriving in NYC.

Comparing the two profiles I would say they are definitely showing the same woman, BUT...

As the Jannetje Symonse profile has a lot of evidence to show that her patronym was Symonse and hence her father's name was Simon/Sijmon/Symon that strongly suggests to me that the Jannetje Schepmoes profile is wrong and the link to that family should be broken.

Reading my previous notes in the Janntje Schepmoes profile's About it is fairly clear that there is no evidence at all that Jannetje is related to Jan Schepmoes other than the existence of the profile itself.

I would merge and cut.

"Jannetje Sijmons Floriszen Pels"

I wonder where the "Floriszen" comes from? Is it possible her father was named Simon Floriszen?

LOL, i don't want to brag ...

Jannetjen was baptised 22/9/1622 at the Oude Kerk in Amsterdam, father's name Sijmon Florisz occupation broekenmaker, mother's name Klaer/Claertjen/Clara Arents.

Records for 6 other children's baptisms between 1619 and 1632

Ondertrouwregister of Simon Floriss and Claartje Arents recorded in Amsterdam on 10/12/1616 but i can't get any info from it other than the date, might be worth checking for a scan of the original at Familysearch.

Hey cut it out! :)

I'm not familiar with Familysearch as yet..
Where did you find:
" Jannetjen was baptised 22/9/1622 at the Oude Kerk in Amsterdam, father's name Sijmon Florisz occupation broekenmaker, mother's name Klaer/Claertjen/Clara Arents." ?

Thanks for all the help.
~• Mike

I can't see any records in NY for "Simon Florisz" or similar.

At first glance i'd say this Is Jannetje's older sister:

Jacob Barentsen. . Marretje Symensen Symen. 27 March 1661 Evert Pels. Jannetje Symensen, his wife.

I didn't find it anywhere, i typed it based on what i was reading in the Amsterdam BDM registers :)

1622, Book 6, page 92 to be exact. The books themselves are behind a paywall but the database is free to search:

https://archief.amsterdam/indexen/doopregisters_1564-1811/zoek/inde...

What you can then do is trawl thru Familysearch's unindexed scans of the original books, know the exact date means you just search randomly until you find the right page then start reading. Sometimes the originals give a lot more info... sometimes not.

This is Family scan for Amsterdam 1603-1628 Dutch Reformed baptisms (i am assuming DRC based on the baptism of Jannetjen being in Amsterdam's Oude Kerk):

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-99Q2-4H8L?owc=collecti...

There's only 501 pages to check :) i'll race you!

... my eyes are crossing already... maybe tomorrow.. Thanks! :)

It may not be the right book :(

1622 is around page 350 but (a) theres nothing more than child and parents names and (b) i am not even sure where the actual dates are, assuming they are the right hand column but not certain.

(c) ceiling isnt going to nail itself up!

Mike,

I am going to cut Jannetjen Sijmons from her "parents" Jan Schepmoes and merge her with Jannetjen Sijmons Schepmoes.

I just need to check first if her siblings should also move or if they stay with Jan

Bump, having just been tidying up in this part of the tree I don't see where the surname Shepmoes is coming from.
It is a name in use in New Amsterdam but i cannot see any records of either Jannetje Symens or Marretje Symens using the name.

As a ggggggggg-granddaughter, I say it would make it a lot easier w/o the Shepmoes!

I think the confusion comes from these two ladies having the patronym Symons while another group of siblings from the Shepmoes family also had the patronym Symons and someone once upon a time decided that it was all one big happy family due to the patronyms matching.

Just my hunch at this point and i'm a bit bogged down in another time period.

Can we drop the Shepmoes name from this profile? Any objections?

I've searched the available DRC records and cannot find a single entry that suggests a link in this generation between the Pels and Schepmoes families, every entry for this woman (and her sister) is a spelling variant of Symons. By no means exhaustive evidence but i think good enough at this stage to remove the surname Schepmoes from both profiles and lock name fields to avoid it reattaching.

The earliest generation of NY Schepmoes family is using the patronym Jansz.

There is another Jannetje Symons in New Amsterdam who marries in 1659 but this cannot be "our" Jannetje.
1659 05 Dec; Jan Dupree, wid Margariet Orommete; Jannetje Symons, van Amsterdam[NA DRC]

Showing all 25 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion