The enigma of the Milano family ( a very complicated story)

Started by Andrea Milano on Tuesday, February 16, 2016
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 30 posts
2/16/2016 at 6:47 AM

My Name is Andrea Milano, I was born in Italy, in Naples lived in Italy for the first part of my life and I’ve been living in the Netherlands for the last 25 years. I grew up in a Catholic family which always spoke, albeit in private, of its Spanish and Jewish roots.About the more recent family history, we were told that my great-grandfather Nicola came from Amalfi and that he had come to Naples as a follower of Garibaldi and settled there.

According to the family legend, which of course like all legends might be a little sugar coated, we came from Aragon, and were part of the court of the Aragonese king of Naples , Ferdinando I ( or Ferrante) of Aragon, and had Jewish roots ( of which very little had remained like, for example, the custom of covering mirrors if someone died in the house). My father Nicola told me that my grandfather Andrea wanting to immerse himself in the “ holy Jordan” ( as my father told me that he apparently called it). Perhaps this was his way to understand that this could have been part of a return path to Judaism by an Anusim to the faith of his ancestors? Did he know that he was a Sephardi B’nei Anusim and belonged to Zera Yisrael? I don’t know. Not for sure anyway.

My grandmother from my father’s side (who, of course, strictly speaking had married into the family) used to tell me that we were descendants of a D’Andrea (a strange first name really which I’ve never found anywhere and is probably wrong) Milano d’Aragona and that we were somewhat related to the noble Milano d’Aragona family whose tombs were to be found in two very large Neapolitan Churches ( San Domenico Maggiore and the Dome of Naples, Santa Maria dell’Assunta).

There is a book which describes the Milano family in Amalfi as being descendant from 8 men of arms who followed Ferrante from Spain to the kingdom of Naples and fought with him in the many wars which followed his claim to the throne, the kingdom left to him by his natural father Alfonso of Aragon. The book says that these 8 men of the Milano family married and had many children and spread throughout the realm settling down in several areas.

Ferrante, unlike other Spanish rulers of Southern Italy after him, favored the Jewish presence in the kingdom of Naples ( and in fact many Jews flew to Naples when they were expelled from Spain) and it is completely possible that he did indeed have 8 Jewish men of arms ( seeking a better stance than they could have had in the Catalan or Aragonese territories) amongst the army and the gentlemen which he brought with him coming to Naples to claim his crown ( he was the illegitimate son of Alfonso d’Aragona) and fight with him.

However, when at least one of them, was created noble this would have required at least that part of the family to convert to Christianity and perhaps be crypto-jewes or anusim but there is no evidence of this.

There is a lot of speculation whether the family name was already Milano before they arrived to Italy and that the name would have been originally El Milà ( a small tow near Zaragoza) and then was changed into Milano after the marriage with the Alagno family of Amalfi.

The fact is that the surname El Milano, Milan or Milano was already established in Spain ( or the southern part of France which at the time was Catalan or Aragonese) at the very least since the 13th century when people of the Jewish nation ( Jacob Milan or Jucef el Milano) are registered on official records. One needs not to think that Milano had necessarily anything to do with the city of Milano as most people think, because Milano is in Spanish and ancient French, a word which means a Kite, a bird of prey. In this not very different from another Sephardi surname Falco, falcon.
However there were certainly Jewish people with the surname de Milan or da Milano. But that preposition makes, I think, the difference!

There is an Italian Jewish family called Milano. They are all from Rome although at some point some left Italy in 1939 ( following the racial laws imposed by the Fascist regime) and went to Israel, the USA and Brazil.

One of the members of this family the historian Attilio Milano emigrated to Israel. His brother Enrico emigrated to Brazil.

Attilio Milano was an historian and was a great scholar on the history of Jews in Italy and elsewhere. When it came to his own family he assumed that oral history told in his family was also the origin of his surname. According to this story they were Roman Jews of Sicilian origin ( on account of them being part of the "scola siciliana" one of the 5 “ scole” ( shuls, synagogues) of Rome:

The Scola Tempio and Scola Nova, where the autoctone community of Rome worshipped and the Scole Catalana, Castigliana and Siciliana,where the refugees from other countries came to worship.

Of course Sicily was, at that time, a term which also applied to Naples and its kingdom because it was called the kingdom of two Sicilies.

They also say that their family had gone from Egypt to Sicily and then from Sicily they had moved to Fondi, a small town belonging to the realm of Naples on the Border with the papal state.

They told that their ancestor there was called Elia Capone and that Elia Capone sold insurances for a Milanese company and that’s why he was nicknamed “ the Milano” and when he moved to Rome for no apparent good reason he abjured surname and changed it into Milano which was his nickname.

This family story has been also told in a book published in Israel a few years ago called Mishpacha Milano.

Enrico Milano, brother of Attilio, wasn’t an historian but he was a learned man all the same, and he wasn’t convinced that this story was true.

He suspected that the Milano family of Rome might have had more to do with the Neapolitan Milanos.

At some point he met with some of the representatives of the noble Neapolitan Milano d’Aragona family and apparently, they showed him a document where one would read that they descended from a B aron el Milano ( you will understand in a moment why I wrote it this way).

Enrico argued that what they read as Baronel Milano was in fact B. Aron el Milano. Ben Aron el Milano.

Which would tie up with the many El Milano who existed in Spain and France even before the family Name appeared in Italy.

Anyway, nothing conclusive could be found there.

The family name Milano is still present, to this day, in Spain, south of France and Corsica, South America (in some cases not from Italian emigrants but from original Spanish settlers), and we know for sure that there were Sephardi Jews with this family name in Hamburg , Amsterdam, London, Recife, New York.

Could it be possible that the Jewish Milano who lived in Aragon and Catalunia, when they were expelled from Spain went to several places of the world?

A branch had left before the expulsion and went to Naples, most of these converted to Christianity, some left Naples and went to Rome where they reverted to Judaism ( which was not forbidden but tolerated in Rome until Italy emancipation in 1870) but tried to erase their “ conversos” tracks. Some left to go to the north of Europe, first to Hamburg and the from there to Amsterdam.

Some went from Amsterdam to London ( Bevis Marks has many record of Milanos there) and some others went to Recife and the Dutch Caribbean colonies.

Those from Recife had to move at some point and went to the closest Dutch harbor, New York or rather New Amsterdam as the city was called at the time.

However this is only a wild deduction but there is no conclusive proof. I have been trying to tie all the Milano stories together for years now.
Who knows, one day, or another, maybe, and maybe with your help, I might put the puzzle together!

Sincerely

Andrea Milano

Private User
2/16/2016 at 2:19 PM

Andrea - thank you for sharing this amazing story. I hope others will join this thread and add more relevant information.

You mentioned the historian Attilio Milano. His profile is on Geni at Attilio Milano. I have created MP for the profile and added to this project. Probbaly he can be added to other projects too.

You mentioned - This family story has been also told in a book published in Israel a few years ago called Mishpacha Milano. Is that book available for purchase or download? What language is it in?

David

2/17/2016 at 3:56 AM

Hello David,

Thank you for your encouraging words.Much appreciated.

I must have some photocopies of this book somewhere (I’ve recently moved and many things are still packed because next year I will move again). As far as I remember and if memory serves me right, it was a book published by a person close to the Israeli Milano family as part of her doctorate papers.

If I remember well it should be both in Ivrit and English. Despite having studied Hebrew, my knowledge of the language is very basic indeed.

The book was given to me by Carla Milano from São Paulo in Brazil who is the daughter of Enrico and the niece of Attilio Milano.

She also gave me some notes written by Enrico Milano which were gathered in his quest to find out more about his ancestry.

Carla and I have met, corresponded in the past and still correspond now, since we share a common interested in the far past of the Milano ancestry.

Carla visited me here in the Netherlands where I live and we have briefly explored the history of the Dutch Milano family (one of whom is Abigail Milano the same person whom you have included in your family tree.

Most of them certainly came the the Netherlands by way of Hamburg where a seizable Sephardi community existed. Those buried in Beth Chaim in Ouderkerk aan de Amstel certainly all came from Hamburg.

There were a few more but at some point the family name disappeared.

This could have happened because they moved to London ( Bevis Marks records appear to show Milano who married there and were buried there) and to the new world.

Another possibility is that they abandoned the surname Milano in favor of some aliases which at some point most Dutch Jews used.

Duarte da Pina might have been one of those aliases since Isaac Milano ( of Amsterdam and Hamburg) went by the name Esteves Duarte da Pina

Abraham Milano went by the name Diego da Pina.

One of the possible reasons to want to cover their tracks, aside the more common one of disguising their relationship to family members in order not to endanger them or their liaisons abroad with countries which might be friendly or unfriendly at some point, were also the contacts which the Milano family of Hamburg and Amsterdam had with Uriel da Costa which at some point was expelled like Baruch Spinoza from the community.

Even more problematic would have been the relationship with the person whom pronounced the “ cherem” against Uriel da Costa, Isaac Orobio de Castro whose daughter Rebecca had married an Isaac Milano who might have been having contacts with Uriel da Costa.

I realize all this is very complicated and more so because there were several people with the same or similar names or people who changed their names several times in their lives.

I am patiently putting the pieces together.

Andrea

2/17/2016 at 5:02 AM

I have found a text, on line, containing the PDF of this article by Sandra de Benedetti Stow who apparently wrote about this for a lecture which she held at her University.

It might very well be that an Italian Family called Capone for some reasons that I don’t really understand changed their name into Milano but that looks very far fetched to me, especially against the overwhelming evidence of the many Jews around the world who bore the same surname before this event took place.

However weirder things have happened in history and real life.

“ by Sandra de Benedetti Stow

Bar-Ilan University
The Faculty of Jewish Studies
The Israel and Golda Koschitzky Department of Jewish History
The Project for the Study of Jewish Names
The Tenth International Conference on Jewish Names
Tuesday, 22 March 2011, Beck Auditorium (Building 410), Bar-Ilan University, Ramat-Gan

The Plurality of Surnames in the Roman Jewish Community between the 16th and the 17th Century: The Case of the Milano Family
Sandra Debenedetti Stow
Based on the analysis of documents written by Jewish notaries between the second half of the 16th and the first half of the 17th century, and preserved in the Archive of the city of Rome (Archivio Storico Capitolino, Rome, Section III, "Notai Ebrei"), the study focuses on the evolution of family names borne by single individuals in the Jewish community of Rome, just before the critical enclosure of the Jews in the ghetto. As a case study, the paper follows the changes that occurred in the course of a century in the surname of one family that, from the middle of the 17th century, became known by the name of Milano. The existence of an extended family tree affords the opportunity of following the genealogy of most of the family members from the year 1550 to this very day.
The research provides an answer to the following question: Why a Jewish family in Rome bears the name Milano, a name that betrays links to a city in the north of Italy?
The archival documents bear witness to the fact that members of the family, originally uprooted from Sicily, settled first in the town of Fondi, a town half way between Naples and Rome, and before 1530 settled definitively in Rome. The changes in the family name reflect the wandering of those Jews who, compelled by the expulsion from the Realm of Sicily, found a first refuge in the small towns of the Neapolitan Realm and then had to move into the papal capital, becoming part of the Jewish Roman community.
A study of the changes that occurred in the names of the Milano family will afford the chance to underline the link between the different factors that contributed to the creation of family names among Roman Jewry: nicknames, occupations, toponyms.
We will see how the name Milano, which at face value could be taken as a toponym, is in fact a nickname originating in the occupation of one of the family members, Salomone, son of Elia
xxii
di Capone, grandson of Yeruham da Fondi. From the beginning of the 17th century, this Salomone functioned as a communal tax collector. In addition to the tax devoted to the confraternity known as "Pidion Shevuim" (Redemption of Prisoners), he bought the right to collect a tax that the Roman Jews called the "Mas di Lombardia" (the tax of Lombardy). To collect the monies, Salomone frequently traveled to Milano and its surroundings and became known among the Roman Jewry as "il Milano". The nickname stuck to family members in subsequent generations, long after their involvement in tax collecting came to an end.

Sandra de Benedetti Stow"

2/17/2016 at 7:29 AM

I had a better look in my documents and also found the photocopies of the book which I spoke about .

The book was used a thesis for a Design Degree by Dana Stow at the Bezalel Art Academy of Jerusalem in 2004..

I also found the notes of Enrico Milano on his research on the family name

2/18/2016 at 2:50 AM

Among several sources which I have in my possession a very interesting one shows the relationship between some Milano ( with various aliases often changed at will even for the same person!) and the Uriel da Costa and his Family.

The Brother of Uriel da Costa: Mordechai da Costa ( alias Miguel da Costa Brandao) married a daughter of Abraham Milano (also known as Diego or Diogo da Pina) I think she was Sara Milano also know as Juliana Gomes

In a nutshel Uriel was born in Portugal, as Gabriel a Catholic from a family of Conversos who were devout new Christians, as the records say.

He apparently met some other person(s) who in time brought him closer the the religion of his forefathers and some time down the line he converted to Judaism. Some people even argue that some members of the Milano family were instrumental to the conversion to Judaism of Uriel da Costa.

After some time Uriel became to express great criticism of the Rabbinical Judaism and he was expelled by the community, pretty much what happened to Baruch Spinoza. Whereas Spinoza abandoned the community and still lived a quasi- normal life in Amsterdam, although a poor one, Uriel da Costa went first o Hamburg then came back. At some point he was punished for his deeds and he was given 39 lashes in the courtyard of the Portuguese synagogue and then he laid on the pavement by the entrance and all the members of the community trampled on him.This left his soul scarred for life until he committed suicide.

This might be crucial to explain why some people of the Milano family ( who were related to Uriel da Costa and perhaps even instrumental to his conversion) in later times ( although they always used aliases) changed or erased all tracks leading and connecting them to Uriel da Costa.

2/19/2016 at 1:12 AM

Another addendum is that the family legend told by my Grandmother Luisa Daniele, which I did quote above, might hold water and that we could be indeed descendants of a D’Andrea Milano d’Aragona, might make sense after all.

It is not D’ but D.Andrea del Milan d’Aragona, Don Andrea del Milan d’Aragona.

The origins in Spain of this family are vague and probably purposely clouded to say the least!

Certainly a noble family, but probably only, really, when they arrived indeed from Valenza to Naples to support, as the book quoted above mentions the Aragonese kings throughout their military campaigns, especially the wannabe king Don Ferrante who claimed a kingdom that wasn’t, strictly speaking his since he was the natural son of Alfonso and Giraldona Carlino.

On Giraldona Carlino I have also found another interesting source hinting that her family might be Jewish and that this might explain why Don Ferrante was so favorably inclined towards the Jews in his kingdom of Naples. Unfortunately this favorable inclination expired with him and the Jews of Naples had to flee the country or hide into clandestinity.

9/2/2016 at 4:48 AM

Another Interesting connection between people called Milano and Judaism is Rabbi Yuçe Milano and his father, also a Rabbi, called Selomó Milano who lived in Zamora in 1490 as a land owner and “ butler” of the IX lord of Amusco, Spain, Pedro Manrique de Lara.

Of course the connection with these people and my family remains to be seen

3/17/2017 at 3:23 AM

Another interesting piece of information about the surname Milano used by a Judeo-Coversos family in the 15th and 16th century, is contained in the book

“ El secreto de los Peñaranda: el universo judeoconverso de la biblioteca de Barcarrota, siglo XVI y XVII..”

A book containing several references to the many families of Judeo-Conversos and their traditions and family habits to hide protect their ancestry and family traditions.

http://biex.gobex.es/biex/download/Libro2.pdf

Where they speak of the Milano family, a family of Judeo-Conversos, In particular of Gonzalo Milano and his father Francisco.

( this Milano family had blood family ties with the Barbola and Lopez de Fonseca family)

Once again this book witnesses that the surname Milano in an environment of Coversos.

This makes possible that also the Milano family of Rome were in fact not descending, as they say, from the Capone family but that the Milano family at the moment of immigrating to the Vatican State from the Kingdom of the two Sicilies had all the interest to hide their conversos origins because there were restrictions to the immigration of conversos from the Kingdom of Naples and the two Sicilies.

3/17/2017 at 3:38 AM

I find this very interesting, a text, from another book referring to the origin of the judeoconversos of Barcarrota, in Spain ( same town of the entry above),

http://www.chdetrujillo.com/el-origen-converso-de-hernando-de-soto-...

“...Sabíamos de la existencia de una nutrida comunidad judeoconversa en la villa, que buscaba preferentemente lugares fronterizos a Portugal, para tener una salida fácil en caso necesario[21]. Recientemente, José Ignacio Rodríguez Hermosell ha publicado un interesantísimo padrón vecinal, realizado en la villa el 3 de noviembre de 1461. En él se mencionan uno a uno los nombres de todos los vecinos, entre los que se incluyen nada menos que cuarenta y un judíos o judeoconversos, equivalentes a más de un centenar y medio de personas[22]. Aunque probablemente no disponían de una aljama propia, al menos que sepamos, la comunidad era muy numerosa, algunos judíos practicantes y otros conversos. Pero es más, Fernando Serrano, en su ya citado trabajo, incluye entre los apellidos judeoconversos, a los Mesa, Mexía, Milano, Mangas, Fonseca, Sánchez, Méndez y Méndez de Soto[23]. Es decir, la estirpe del adelantado de La Florida estaba vinculada secularmente al grupo judeoconverso de la localidad.

Estos linajes fueron perseguidos por la Inquisición y sus descendientes marginados de la administración, de los más prestigiosos colegios mayores, de las órdenes militares, e incluso, de determinadas congregaciones religiosas, como la jerónima. Fueron considerados linajes deicidas, con una permanente deuda de sangre. Además implantaron en España una perniciosa tradición, que en algunos sectores sociales ha llegado hasta la Edad Contemporánea, de que simplemente basta la sospecha para excluir a alguien. Los estatutos de limpieza sirvieron a los cristianos viejos para limitar la capacidad de los neófitos de acceder a las instituciones castellanas...."

3/17/2017 at 5:30 AM

Creo que el primer propietario de la morada de los Milano fue Gómez Pérez Milano, por cuyas venas corría la sangre de los Milano y de los Pérez-Sanjuán. Fue testigo de la expulsión de los que no alteraron su fe en 1492 y esto con avanzada edad, pues, en 1500, dictó testamento, orde- nando que la tierra lo consumiese en la entonces ermita del Soterraño55.

6/28/2017 at 4:26 AM

this comes from a book called : “ The Marrakesh Dialogues: A Gospel Critique and Jewish Apology from the Spanish Renaissance “

Among the Jews he had known in Antwerp, he named three brothers of the Dias Family, recent immigrants from Ferrara,where they had been circumcised and given the Jewish name of Milano: Antonio/Joseffo, Diogo/Jacob, Daniel/Daniel . A fourth brother Arthur/Isaac having remained in Ferrara . He declared : “ They all lived publicly as Christians but are Jews in their homes>

6/28/2017 at 10:42 AM

Andrea Milano "The enigma of the Milano family" is truly an amazing story,
Private User, George J. Homs, Private User, and John Dale Kessel Don't miss!

Andrea, your story would make an excellent addition to the Italian Jewish Communities Project as well. https://www.geni.com/projects/Italian-Jewish-Communities-Portal/18584

6/28/2017 at 10:47 PM

Hello Malka, thank you very much! I wasn’t aware of this project about the Italian Jewish communities. I have been corresponding many years ago with Marco Soria about the roots of the Milano family in general and mine in particular. Marco lives in Milan (where I too have lived) and is from Naples where I was born. I have also corresponded over the years with Enzo Falco from the USA who helped me to find the Milano of Israel , descendants of Attilio Milano, and to put them in touch with their cousin Carla Milano,. Thanks for your pointers!

Private User
6/29/2017 at 4:39 PM

Please also see the project https://www.geni.com/projects/Crypto-Jews-Conversos-Marranos-Anusim...

and the discussion https://www.geni.com/discussions/169546

Please do contact Andrea and contribute to these discussions if you have further information and/or similar interests, so that research efforts can be combined

6/30/2017 at 5:07 AM

Another piece of information.

In the book “
Judeoconversos e inquisición en las Islas Canarias, 1402-1605”

There is a record for a trial in Tenerife (1584) of

Juan Alvarez Milan”, Alonso Milan” Anton Lorenzo Milan”

6/30/2017 at 6:56 AM

Another interesting path might be this Milano Milano (Milanus Milanus) quoted at page 122 of the book

"Processi del S. Uffizio di Venezia contro ebrei e giudaizzanti: 1582-1585

10/7/2017 at 5:21 AM

could anyone try to trace back the ancestry of this Isaac Milano? Isaac Milano
He is probably the same Isaac Milano mentioned in the “ Marrakesh Dialogues “ which I’ve quoted above.

1/7/2018 at 11:17 PM

Complicated story? You think?

Well, probably even more than you think!

I just took a DNA test and few surprises came to the surface.

I am not at all Spanish in any way shape or form! (although it is not impossible that my family transited through Spain for a couple of generations while not intermarrying with any people bearing local genes ).

I am:

European of which:

69% Italian

10,8% Greek

2,3% Ashkenazi Jew

Asia

Western Asia ( Turkey, Iran, Iraq)

8,4%

Middle East ( Israel, Egypt, Yemen)

3,9%

North-Africa

from Egypt to Morocco 5%

Not even a drop of Spanish blood!

I am not Spanish or north African Sephardim or Mizrahi.

So, the plot thickens!

Private User
1/8/2018 at 5:51 AM

to be expected with your name, no?

1/9/2018 at 1:52 AM

Hello Jens, depends really what you mean by this. Please comment. Of course an autosomal DNA test shows both mother and father line so the surname has yes, some bearing in this but not much if you simply go several generations back you end up with 128 people all contributing genes.

(I have edited the previous post because I misspelled your name).

1/9/2018 at 1:59 AM

Even assuming multiple contributions to the genome from several ancestors beefing up certain numbers the Greek, Western Asian, Middle Eastern, North-African and Ashkenazi Jewish component are such to be significant even against a nearly 70% Italian ( by the way ( @Jens IVERSEN), Milano as a surname has not a direct relationship with Italy if your comment meant that, and point to ancestry of all those ethnicity is a fairly recent past unlike values which would be less than 1%.

1/22/2018 at 5:43 AM

Yesterday I had a very interesting conversation with a support employee od MyHeritage and we went through all the possibilities implied from the estimated ethnicity report compiled by MyHeritage. Interestingly he told me that the 2.3% Ashkenazi ethnicity combined with Italian, Greek, Middle-Eastern, West Asian and North African ancestry would probably point towards multiple Jewish contributors to my genome. Of course this is based on the fact that all the areas involved were areas where the diaspora Jews moved to and around. In a way much more than the percentages of each is the combination of it all that leads to that conclusion. A surprise was to hear that the Italian genome background is common also to several groups of Jews to the point that some scholars ask themselves if modern Judaism has its roots in Italy or in any case in Southern Europe.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2013/10/did-modern-jews-originate-italy

How does this relate to me and the Milano family is not yet clear. The research goes on.

One thing is for sure that the story narrated in “ Mishpacha Milano” this book I mentioned above, is quite consistent with my genome ethnicity. We shall see how this fares and where this new developments will bring the solution of the The enigma of the Milano family, I told you it was a complicated story.

10/12/2018 at 1:21 AM

After having been in touch with a few members of the “ De Millano” family whom hypothesize of a connection of their family with mine, I discovered also a Milhano family which seems to originate in Portugal and from Portugal it spread to Brazil and other parts of the New World.

A further consideration on the DNA has to be made.

If the family had been Iberian 500 or more years ago there would be not trace of DNA left because halving the DNA each generation brings to less than 1% very very rapidly.

So the DNA can only be used for a relatively recent (compared to the expulsion of the 1492) portion of your genealogy.

10/31/2018 at 3:08 AM

I have been getting in touch with two geneticists Leon Kull and Wim Penninx , both have offered their help to look into my paternal lineage towards establishing the Jewish Roots of the Milano male line. I will take a further advanced test testing the Y chromosome. It will be very interesting to see if we can unearth more common traits with other Milano of the world .

7/6/2020 at 7:33 AM

following up the story of Rabbi Yuçe Milano and his son Rabbi Salomon Milano

you can find his petition here http://pares.mcu.es/ParesBusquedas20/catalogo/description/204453
"Incluye petición para que el bachiller Baltanás, ejecutor enviado por los reyes para hacer cumplir los términos del destierro, determine los pleitos entre judíos y cristianos, porque el término de salida es muy corto. Así mismo, petición de rabí Yuçe Milano, mayordomo del duque de Nájera, y de su hijo rabí Salamón, para que se liquiden las cuentas de sus libramientos y de la recaudación de las rentas de Amusco que les encomendó.

Contiene más de 30 documentos referidos a la administración de la mayordomía del duque, la mayoría órdenes de libramiento y cartas de pago, algunos con escritura aljamiada. ...”

1/18/2021 at 2:55 AM

another follow up on the front of the Milano of Northern Spain (Palencia) are Iago Milano and his son Halap or Halph Milano :

“ Los judíos Mael y Merian compran los molinos de la Vega a los hijos de Michael Petreri del Campo y otros. Entre los testigos : don Helías. Zach de Castro. Zach de Saldanna. Jucef ferrero. Jago Chufon. Hacecrin ferrero. Halap Uedi. Jucef de Leuanza. Juçef ferrero.
Juan, hijo de Pedro Penilla vende a Mair la sexma de los molinos de la Vega y la cuarta del otro molino. Testigos: Halph fide Iago Milano. Ha- laph ferrero. Haui so ermano. Zac yerno de Iuceph. Abraham. (siguen tes- tigos cristianos). Martino, fide Pedro Penniella vende a Mael la vez de los molinos de la Vega. Entre los testigos, rabbi Halaph, rabbi Zac”

1/18/2021 at 3:16 AM

another source of information on the Milano from Hamburg (Remember Isaac Milano one of the founders of the Keter Torah congregation), here they speak a lot of the Milano family in Hamburg and in particular of Raphael Milano

https://repositorio.ul.pt/bitstream/10451/36365/1/ulfl254209_td.pdf

Private User
1/18/2021 at 5:44 AM

Hello Andrea, why you don't do the Y-DNA test ?

1/18/2021 at 7:06 AM

Hello Leon, you may remember that I did a Y-67 FtDNA test

Showing all 30 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion