Thomas Barnes, of Farmington - Thomas Barnes of Hartford-Farmington-Pequot Was Veteran

Started by John H Osullivan on Friday, February 5, 2016
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 11 posts

These are all the same person. Thomas Barnes was awarded land in Hartford for his service in the Pequot War. then, became a proprietor of Farmington, Ct.

No, they are different persons (although I believe they lived in the same town for a while).

There were 19 "Barnes" arrivers to Colonial America, Savage muddled a bunch of them together.

‘Goodman’ Thomas Barnes married 1st a woman later convicted of witchcraft. And 2nd to her jailer's daughter.

We know much less about the wives of Thomas Barnes, Sr.

And he was the Pequot war veteran.

Thomas Barnes of Hartford and Farmington are the same person. Someone made the younger 1623 Thomas Barnes of Middletown to be the one from Hartford which is wrong. T.B. born 1615 came over on the Wm/John in 1635-6, fought in the Pequot War, settled in Hartford, moved to Farmington, married Mary(hanged for witchcraft) then Mary Andrews. Sons from Mary Andrews are Thomas and Ebenezer.
Thomas Barnes of Middletown should not be listed as T.B. of Hartford. This is an error and should be corrected.

John, they "both" lived in the Hartford Colony, it's just a matter of disambiguating a display name.

I changed Maybee's father's display name to Thomas Barnes, of Hartford & Middletown

He was an original proprietor of the colony and is listed on the Founder's Monument

https://www.geni.com/documents/view?doc_id=6000000012381208269&

Thomas Barnes of Hartford/Farmington is the correct person who fought in the Pequot War and was a proprietor of Hartford. Thomas Barnes of Middletown is the wrong age and cannot be the correct one. Someone erroneously listed him as a Hartford Proprietor. My sister was the head of the Conn. Mayflower Society and she researched this. She is also confirmed as an ancestor of Thomas Barnes of Hartford. Who is also Thomas Barnes of Farmington. The Thomas Barnes of Middletown is the wrong person. he was too young to have fought in the war and to be a proprietor. Erica, you are mistaken about Thomas Barnes of Middletown. he was born in 1623 and was much too young. please correct this error. Maybee is from the Middletown Thomas Barnes and is not from the Hartford one. check the records and you will see this to be correct.

Erica, please refer to the Barnes yearbook and you will see your mistake.

You will need to link me to the record or upload it to the profile. I take it your question is about Maybee's parents ?

Thomas Barnes, Sr.

The Last Will and Testament of Thomas barnes Senior dwelling in Midleton, in the County of Hartford and Colony of Connecticut Will dated 25 Feb 1683/4 mentions "my wife, my sons John, Thomas, Daniel, Maibe ... daug Mercy Jacobs, Martha, Elizabeth, Abigail, witness validated 6 Oct 1692, accepted and recorded 7 Sept 1693 [17]

Maybee was the son of the Middletown Thomas Barnes.

The Barnes Yearbook is included in the citations.

-------

‘Goodman’ Thomas Barnes

"A Deed of Guift made by Thomas Barnes sen. (which is to stand as his last Will), dated 9 June 1688 ... mentions beloved wife Mary Barnes ... son Thomas ... Ebenezer ... Thomas .[Probate Records vol 5, 1687 to 1695, page 53-4].. John Hooker of Farmington made Oath on the 7th of February, 1689-90, ... was the free Act and Deed of Thomas Barnes, sen., Decd Court Record, Page 11 - 6 March, 1689-

No son Maibe.

I already know that Maybee is the son of Middletown Thomas Barnes. But, Thomas Barnes of Farmington is the same Thomas Barnes as Thomas Barnes of Hartford. He was the founder in Hartford and moved to Farmington. This is all recorded in the Ct. records. My sister is a member of the Hartford founders lineage and has proved Thomas Barnes of Farmington and Hartford are one and the same. I live 5 miles from Farmington and have researched Thomas Barnes. he is my 7x ggf.

OK, you are saying that the two Thomas Barnes are the same person?

One left a will, the other didn't, but left a legal instrument. The children's names do not match. Why?

Showing all 11 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion