Presidents Day 2016 - Monday, February 15, 2016

Started by Erica Howton on Tuesday, February 2, 2016
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 15 posts
2/2/2016 at 6:41 PM

Coming up soon, and therefore, past time to clean their trees on Geni, freshen the project.

Please post any tree errors / corrections needed in this discussion.

To start, Randy Seaver checked his Geni relationships to the US Presidents, and posted results:

http://www.geneamusings.com/2016/01/my-relationships-to-us-presiden...

Most recently he notes:

1)  James Monroe (5th President of the United States) is my 11th cousin 6 times removed, according to Geni.com:

- My line back goes through John Pers (1588-1661) of Watertown, Massachusetts according to Geni.com.  I don't know if the parentage of John Pers is correct in Geni.com or not.  I have not found any authoritative work that says his father is Richard Percy.  However, I do have a line back to John of Gaunt, but through Thomas Dudley (1576-1653) of Massachusetts.  John of Gaunt is my 18th great-grandfather.  I can't comment about the line from John of Gaunt to President James Monroe.  My judgment is that I may be related to James Monroe, but not through the Pers/Percy line.

2)  James Madison (4th President of the United States) is my 5th cousin 6 times removed according to Geni.com:

-  The common ancestor according to Geni.com is William Horton, of Gumley, whose son was Thomas Horton (1596-1649), one of the signers of the warrant to execute King Charles I.  I have found no authoritative record that defines my Thomas Horton (1638-1715) of Rehoboth, Massachusetts as the son of this Thomas Horton, "the Regicide."  My judgment is that my relationship to James Madison is doubtful, at least through the Horton line.

3)  Thomas Jefferson (3rd President of the United States) is my 7th cousin 6 times removed, according to Geni.com:

The common ancestor is Thomas Roberts (1494-1562) of Cranbrook, Kent.  My line is through his daughter, Mary Roberts which leads to my ancestor Abigail (Thurston) White (1700-????), whose mother's surname I do not know.  Geni says it is Sarah Guile (1657-1724).  It may be, and it may not be.  I consider this relationship for me to Thomas Jefferson to be doubtful at best.

4)  John Adams (2nd President of the United States is my 5th cousin 7 times removed:

The common ancestor, according to Geni.com, is the father of William White (1590-1621), a Mayflower passenger (my line) and Richard White (????-????), husband of Rebecca Bushwell, and farther of John White (1620-1691) of Brookline, Mass., noted on Geni.com as "John White of the 2nd Mayflower".  I sincerely doubt that John and William were brothers, and that John came on the "second Mayflower" with his wife and settled in Watertown, Mass.  It is evident to me that John Adams is descended from this John White, however.

5)  George Washington (1st President of the United States) is my 7th cousin 8 times removed:

The common ancestor, according to Geni.com, is John C. Cooke (1473-1516) of London, England.  My line from him goes through 4 Cooke names, then Robert Williams (1607-1693) of Roxbury, Mass., whose daughter Elizabeth Williams (1620-1663) may have married Richard Cutter (1621-1693), my 8th great-grandfather.  However, the birth years don't add up for the Williams father and daughter.  Therefore, I doubt that I am related to George Washington through this line.

2/2/2016 at 8:46 PM

James Monroe, 5th President of the USA is my 10th cousin four times removed. My path: http://www.geni.com/path/Erica-Howton+is+related+to+James-Monroe-5t...

2/2/2016 at 9:19 PM

Disconnecting the following siblings, who are not his listed siblings, from Pres Monroe: Elliott Monroe , Jane Monroe , John Monroe & Uknown Monroe

2/2/2016 at 10:47 PM

And disconnected Mary Arne

2/3/2016 at 6:13 AM

We need to ask him to come in and help with it. He should first expand out his tree and then he will be able to check them out.

Kevin

Private User
2/3/2016 at 7:36 AM

I am linked to absolutely all the presidents as I guess most of all of you are. The closest relation is:
http://www.geni.com/path/Johannes-Fredrik-Steen+is+related+to+Barac...

2/5/2016 at 4:29 PM

Geni says: James Monroe, 5th President of the USA is John Alexander, of Stafford County, Virginia's third great grandson!

http://www.geni.com/path/John-Alexander+is+related+to+James-Monroe-...

I would like to cut this link.

According to http://landedfamilies.blogspot.ca/2013/10/80-alexander-of-menstrie-... there was no son John of

William Alexander, 1st Earl of Stirling, 7th Baron of Menstrie & Janet Erskine, Countess of Stirling

2/5/2016 at 4:51 PM

Erica Howton,

Cut it.

Kevin

2/6/2016 at 7:54 AM

James Monroe, 5th President of the USA has been disconnected from the Earls of Stirling. I think his ancestry is realistic now. People might want to recalculate their relationship path to him.

Private User
2/6/2016 at 9:00 AM

Still there.
James Monroe, 5th President of the USA is my 18th cousin once removed.

2/6/2016 at 9:18 AM

The "connector" for you, Ulf, is James IV, king of Scots thru his son, James Stewart, VI, illegitimate, 1st Earl of Moray

So I will next check that line down to the president.

Private User
2/6/2016 at 9:28 AM
12/11/2017 at 8:35 AM

James Monroe is my fourth great uncle

5/22/2022 at 6:10 PM

according to Family Search, President Monroe is my first cousin, 7x removed

my maternal great grandmother was Elizabeth (Monroe) Ashby

Anyone know how reliable Family Search is?

5/22/2022 at 10:26 PM

It’s not reliable. You have to vet all claimed relationship paths for yourself, on any platform.

Showing all 15 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion