WIlliam Shakespeare - Shakespeare Documented

Started by Justin Durand on Wednesday, January 27, 2016
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 6 posts

There is an interesting article about William Shakespeare in the January 2016 College of Arms Newsletter about a new Shakespeare website:

"Shakespeare Documented: this significant online Shakespeare resource launched on 20 January 2016, aiming to be 'the largest and most authoritative resource for learning about primary sources that document the life and career of William Shakespeare.' This free and publicly accessible online exhibition is curated by Dr Heather Wolfe of the Folger Shakespeare Library, Washington, D.C., and includes images, descriptions, and transcriptions of all known references and allusions to Shakespeare and his works during his lifetime and shortly thereafter, as well as additional references to his family. More than 30 institutions have contributed to the project.

"Six documents in the archive of the College of Arms are included. Three of these relate to the grant of Arms by William Dethick, Garter King of Arms, to John Shakespeare, father of William; whilst three relate to the actions of Ralph Brooke, York Herald, in contesting twenty-three grants of Arms made by Dethick, including that to John Shakespeare. Illustrated right is the defence by Garter and Clarenceux Kings of Arms against Brooke's accusations, dated 1602. College reference: Coll Arm Ms WZ f.276v."

This is the website:
http://www.shakespearedocumented.org/

Along the same lines, there is a bit about Shakespeare's coat of arms at The Shakespeare Blog:
http://theshakespeareblog.com/2011/11/the-facts-about-shakespeares-...
http://theshakespeareblog.com/2011/11/the-mysteries-of-emblems-mott...

Fantastic website. Love all the old documents. I sent an email to Shakespeare Birthplace Trust to request permission to use their images of parish registers and other documents on Geni.

Thanks for that Justin! Looks great from what I've seen so far.

Shakespeare Birthplace Trust have asked for more info on how their images would be used on Geni. I have added a single image (Shakespeare's baptism) to show them. I think a visual example is easier than trying to explain how the images would be used.
I have added the image as a source and linked the image in the timeline for his baptism.

Any feedback is welcome.

When did this timeline get so fantastic ?

Delighted.

I've added him to this project where it says "Charlecote Park covers 185 acres (75 ha), backing on to the River Avon William Shakespeare has been alleged to have poached rabbits and deer in the park as a young man and been brought before magistrates as a result.[1] But it is unclear whether there were any deer in the park at that time. It was landscaped by Capability Brown in about 1760." Not sure whether this should be added to his excellent timeline or not.

Showing all 6 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion