Marjorie of Huntingdon - Can we change Marjorie's name to "unknown" & disconnect from parents?

Started by Erica Howton on Monday, January 4, 2016
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 12 posts
1/4/2016 at 8:48 AM

Updated curator note:

"Many doubts exist as to the identity of this woman or women, wives of William de Lindsay and Gille Crist Earl of Angus. Her name is identical to a daughter of Henry and Ada's, but that daughter is well-documented in her marriages and could not be this person. Much research is needed to determine who this woman is. ..."

Can she be disconnected and also split in two
1) wife of Sir William de Lindsay, Lord of Luffness, Ercildoune and Crawford
2) wife of Gille Crist, Earl of Angus

There seems no reason to maintain the name & parents

1/4/2016 at 9:40 AM

Yes, I'm fine with splitting her, and adding in the notes to each profile explaining what's been done.

1/4/2016 at 9:47 AM

This is not the same as ADA, Michael.

This Marjorie is a mashup of her known in records sister Margaret Margaret de Huntingdon, Princess of Scotland & her known on records illegitimate sister Marjorie. wife of Gille Crist

1/4/2016 at 9:52 AM

The profile for Gille Crist, Earl of Angus quotes https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gille_Cr%C3%ADst,_Earl_of_Angus which cites

Roberts, John L., Lost Kingdoms: Celtic Scotland in the Middle Ages, (Edinburgh, 1997), pp. 53–4

Other proflle notes include

There is some confusion concerning Gilchist's marriages. We follow the suggestions of 'Mathematical' but are not sure that they are fully secure. The Scots Peerage (Kings of Scotland), Burkes Peerage 1934 (Moray), Burkes Extinct Peerages 1883 (FitzAlan of Arundel) state that Beatrix's father was the 4th Earl of Angus.

Private
1/4/2016 at 10:07 AM

ok.. I see just be carefull poking the sleeping dragon.. I'm still working on the southworths havn't even made it down this far not even my area of expertise...

1/4/2016 at 12:02 PM

I've queried the profile manager for this profile which seems misplaced

John de Lindsay, Bishop of Glasgow

And moved the Lindsay line over to the new Margery, wife of William Lindsay

1/4/2016 at 2:26 PM

Can I get this working on the Gilles Crist / Angus Earls to have a look at him, his wives & children?

I should also mention that one way to track the descent Henry, 3rd Earl of Huntingdon is through the later competitors for the crown of Scotland, a simplified list here

http://www.englishmonarchs.co.uk/bruce_9.html

Easy to see the mixup with the base born Marjorie & the legit Margaret & snuffle up this Marjorie ....

1/5/2016 at 2:35 PM

So I've gone up & down the Lindsay line, detailing and merging. It could stand another pair of eyes now if someone could be so kind.

From Sir William de Lindsay

to Katherine Green

1/6/2016 at 10:48 AM

I had lost my reply to the above, when I started doing a little research. I found some references that might help shed some light; 1. Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, UK by G.E. Cokayne, 2. Encyclopedia Britannica-UK-Ancesgtry of Brit. Royal House, 3. Ancesgtral Roots of Certain Amderican Colonists-7th Edition by Weis/Shippard Jr. and Magna Charta Sureties 5th Edition.

So, before your start deleting Marjorie/Margaret of Huntingdon from Gille Christ Ogilvie of Angus. Maybe before we cause a domino effect on the Stewart's. Maybe, we should focus on the priorities in getting this Geni up to parr. Because, there is a lot of issues concerning kindship reports that are not in sinc!

I am going back to my tree profile, because now my tree have been linked to King David of Israel, Mary and Joseph, Noah, and Adam & Eve.

1/6/2016 at 2:53 PM

We've all been linked back to "Adam" Joe!

The Scots peerage : founded on Wood's ed. of Sir Robert Douglas's Peerage of Scotland; containing an historical and genealogical account of the nobility of that kingdom
by Paul, James Balfour, Sir, 1846-1931 volume 3, page 3

https://archive.org/stream/scotspeeragefoun03pauluoft#page/2/mode/2up

William probably married two wives, by the first of whom he had

1. Walter,

1/6/2016 at 2:56 PM

(continued)

By his [second] marriage with Alienora, daughter and oldest coheir of Gerard de Limesi, he had ...

----

I think Sir Paul would have noted if William of Lindsay married a daughter of Henry, 3rd Earl of Huntingdon

So .. I'm happy with the Lindsay line.

2/4/2016 at 12:04 PM

President Thomas Jefferson descends from Gilbert de Lindsay who was born about 1251. Is this correct?

Showing all 12 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion