Malcolm Master of Ross - Who knows what? :-)

Started by Sharon Doubell on Friday, January 1, 2016
Showing all 7 posts

This profile appears to me to be FUBARED :-) but, without sources I can't easily figure out how to fix it. Gwyneth Potter McNeil can you come and take a look and tell me what you think? Thanks.

I am not Gwyneth Potter McNeil But did have look. To say it in "Afrikaans English" what she actually meant " is above my fire place."
. Trace her, I think she really needs help SORTING things out.

How did all this strange things come to your attention ? As to 'FUBARED' I cant find it in the dictionary

"above my fireplace" is new to me :-)

FUBARED is ^&#$ up beyond all repair :-)

I see "Ferquard MacTaggart" hanging off him, which means he's at least partly a Fake Link. He's not Ferquard's father - we don't know *who* Ferquard's father was.

There are, rather obviously, some very dark decades in which we don't know how the MacHeth family proliferated, whether they made more trouble, whether William the Lion denied the title of "Earl of Ross" to them, or much of anything.

Adam mac Domnaill[edit]
In 1186, a certain Adam son of Domnall, "the king's outlaw", was killed by Máel Coluim, Mormaer of Atholl, in the sanctuary of the church at Cupar, and the church burnt with 58 of Adam's associates within. It may be that this Adam mac Domnaill was a son of Domnall mac Uilleim.[8] However, his identification is not certain. One reading would give his name as Áed mac Domnaill [maybe not - "Adam" was also used as a popular "Bible name"], and it may be that he should be counted among the MacHeths.[9] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacHeths

The next, and last, MacHeth to be reported is Kenneth (or Cináed), who joined with Domnall Bán mac Uilleim and an unnamed Irish prince, to invade Ross in 1215, shortly after the death of king William. This invasion proved to be no threat to the new king, Alexander II, as it was defeated by Ferchar mac in tSagairt [Farquard MacTaggart], the future Mormaer of Ross, who killed the leaders and sent their heads to King Alexander.[10] With this, the MacHeth claims to Ross appear to have ended.

The chiefs of the Highland Clan Ross were direct descendants of the aforementioned Ferchar mac in tSagairt, Mormaer of Ross and according to one historian the chiefs of the Highland Clan Mackay were probably direct descendants of the aforementioned Kenneth MacHeth.[11] The two clans later feuded in the 15th century. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacHeths

The "Mackay homeland" was in Strathnaver, a remote and unaffiliated (until 1829) corner of the Highlands. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clan_Mackay. It was a good place for disaffected people to hide out undetected.

Here's the Master Profile for Ferquard/Fearchar:
Fearchar Mac an t-Sagairt, Earl of Ross

Here are some more duplicates:
Ferquahard Mactaggart
Fearchar Mac an t-Sagairt, Earl of Ross
Ferquard Mactaggard, 2nd Earl of Ross
and possibly Ferquhard MacTaggart, Earl of Ross

Pam Wilson (on hiatus) I see that you Curate the guy. Can we get your input on this?

Sharon Doubell, sorry for the delay in responding. I inherited curatorship of this and many other Scottish profiles which are beyond my own knowledge zone, so please take it on yourself or ask someone better qualified to arbitrate as curator. Thanks!

Showing all 7 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion