Catherine Tabourdeaux - Removing "SV/PROG" and "SM/PROG" from the suffix field name.

Started by Sharon Doubell on Monday, December 28, 2015
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 91-103 of 103 posts

... And I should add that in the USA we often "do not" have birth records; it wasn't recorded, varying, from 1609 to 1911 or so.

So in a world tree, we try to accommodate the most for the most, knowing we can't please all the people all the time, but we can make it as simple and clear as possible.

From my perspective over five years we're doing rather well at it.

Here's to 2016 being even better.

South African death records do have married names on them!
Let's not start this again as well, or I will delete the discussion as off topic and deliberately inflammatory. We can do without another fight about this.

can i sugest evryone to re read what Mario (morel) have write
look at Fille du roy project and profils
http://www.geni.com/projects/Filles-du-roi/13635

now they are in project we dont need the labeling in display name
reread mario all

Thank you for this most interesting and lively discussion. I suggest that the 'Middle Name' field be united with 'First Name' and called "Names" .
Perhaps the Middle Name field can be used for 'Country' __/__'Generation No.'?

My 2 cents:

I would vote for this solution if at all possible....

=I did propose a separate key/value system for arbitrary data like the DVN, though I don't recall the discussion of using it for SV/PROG and SM/PROG -- I would have no objection to that but suspect it won't be displayed widely enough to satisfy the users who currently see these tags in the suffix fields all over the site.=

Mike has already said he could run a script to move the DVNs in the suffix and I'm sure he could do it to move them into this new field as well...

This would surely be a win win?

Thank you Private User I will also vote for a seperate DVN field. Mike Stangel has promised and again I am sure as soon as the poor man have time he will get to it.
Sharon Doubell I agree to not another fight. Some death notices do have married names and some don't. As for baptism records, in 2001 when my granddaughter born the USA, was baptised in SA. On her baptism record her mother,is Deirdrè Krugel and not Deirdrè Meyer.
But again we will never get to satisfy everybody. I.e. Isabella Meyer daughter of Marais Meyer ad Deirdrè Krugel. I suppose - maybe the different churches uses it different.
Erica Howton I have asked the SA team before and now I ask everybody - please agree to disagree.
Erica Howton not meant at you at all. In a world tree we can strive to all work together, but it is different personalities, nationalities, etc.etc.etc.
I would love us all to set an example of how people can behave civil to each other even when we disagree.
Hope it came out of the Afrikaans tongue as meant to- in good spirit pouring water on yet another "plofbare" situation.
Love to all and blessings and lots of happiness for 2016.
Judi

Martin RhNegativ It's really great that all these profiles are listed in one project, however if the "SV/PROG" and "SM/PROG" is removed from the profiles it will be impossible for anybody to see at a glance exactly where the line started in South Africa. For me as a South African user this has always been very helpful to be able to see this.
Just an opinion from another PROUD Huguenot descendant.

Civility is good; so is honesty and openness. Let's make sure we don't lose the one for the sake of the other.

While we wait for Mike Stangel's response on giving us another Suffix field for genealogy and DNA numbers, I think the managers & descendants of the profile have made it pretty clear that they want the SM/PROG put back into the Suffix field that we have at the moment, on this profile. I see that Judi has already done this, so this is just a heads-up to morel in reply to his query - that this is what we've chosen to do.

We hear you about the appearance in a project list being inconvenient, but it isn't very difficult for you to edit the name in wikitext, so it displays as you want it to on your project.
We also hear that you feel that you will then have the right to add 'Fille du Roy' into the Suffix as well as the SM/Prog. While I doubt that there will be strong objections to it, may I suggest that you need first to ask the managers of the profile if they will allow you to do that.

It needs to be displayed in tree view, but not as display name. So it is actually an exercise that will lead to a lot of time waste and not mean anything, so my vote is 100% not to change anything.

Before changing anything in general, we should first have a 'test' case or 20, and see how that would impact... I would love to be an that panel of testers.

I agree with Jan, leave everything as it is. I am proud of my SM/Progs slaves indigenous people Europeans or what ever. They make us what we are. The PRETTIEST women and the BRAVEST men in the world. Let them stand out with BIG BOLD letters.
I agree some of them had some what of a REPUTATION but that is not a reason for not mentioning them in a prominent place.

It seems to me that I have said the last word on this subject
I still remember that merry 1680`s and the prank he Governor played on old Jan Cornelitz in giving him that lively Maria Kickers. ' That Both chap immediately see his chance and apply for the job as" Knecht " at Old Jans farm

That makes you a long-lived man, Dries :-)

I love and appreciate South African humor!

Showing 91-103 of 103 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion