William FitzDuncan, Lord of Egremont - Not a husband of Gruaidh?

Started by Sharon Doubell on Sunday, December 20, 2015
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing all 9 posts

The About details on this profile have him drowning as a 16 yr old boy. It seems unlikely that he is the husband of Gruaidh nic Áeda in that case.

I saw something yesterday that said it isn't clear whether she was married to William the father or William the son. I meant to keep the window open so I could come back to it, but I've lost it now. Sorry.

William fitz Duncan, Mórmaer of Moray

This is where William and Gruaidh belong.

Agreed.

I've merged into William fitz Duncan, Mórmaer of Moray is now the father of William FitzDuncan, Lord of Egremont by Alice de Rumilly, Lady of Craven and of Skipton

Gruaidh appears to have married the older William before or after he married Alice.

"William had several marriages. His first marriage was over, presumably through death, by the year 1137, when he married Alice de Rumilly, daughter of William Meschin. By the latter, he had a son, also called William (William of Egremont or William the Atheling), who died in 1160, and a daughter Cicely, Lady of Skipton, who married William le Gros, 1st Earl of Albemarle. He also had a large number of bastards, probably including Wimund of the Isles. It is now presumed that Domnall mac Uilleim, and the Meic Uilleim clan that repeatedly rebelled against later Scottish kings in their quest to gain the Scottish throne, were legitimate descendants of a marriage to a daughter of Óengus of Moray.He died in 1147, whereupon Moray fell back into the hands of David.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_fitz_Duncan"

We need to look again at the Gruaidh nic Áedaprofile. I'm not finding compelling evidence that she existed, was named this, or belongs with the parents she's been given.

Her "About" is a mess - someone's massive ignorance about Old Scottish names is glaringly obvious.

Sooner or later we are all massively ignorant about something :-)

Showing all 9 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion