Cleaning up the family tree for John Clay, Ancient Planter of the Colony of Virginia

Started by Erica Howton on Wednesday, December 2, 2015
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 24 posts
12/2/2015 at 2:16 PM

Will log actions taken in this discussion

12/2/2015 at 2:40 PM

Anne Clay, Ancient Planter is not a known wife of Capt. John Clay, Ancient Planter

(unless she's another name for Mary Carlton)

No children attached, so disconnecting as wife, until further researched.

12/2/2015 at 3:14 PM

Cross referencing previous discussions; they should continue in "this" discussion

http://www.geni.com/discussions/151514
http://www.geni.com/discussions/151513

Disconnecting John Tate, of Charles City & John Wall, of Charles City as husbands of Anne Clay, Ancient Planter

They've been added to the project to make it easier for them to find their families.

12/2/2015 at 3:22 PM

Thanks, I thought Anne Clay, Ancient Planter was somehow not correct, but didn't know if it was an artifact of the undo merge. Ditto John Tate, of Charles City and John Wall, of Charles City as husbands of Anne Clay, Ancient Planter.

12/2/2015 at 3:23 PM

Geni: John Tate was connected to Anne (Nichols) Clay, Ancient Planter as her husband. Dec 29, 2010 at 8:49 PM

When I see this in Revisions, it alerts me that there might have been an incorrect automatic merge since Dec 29 2010 merges are suspicious.

12/2/2015 at 3:26 PM

Yes, there was a bad automatic merge completion on Dec 29 2010. I'm taking apart the tree & re building.

I'll come up for air eventually. :)

12/2/2015 at 3:27 PM

Okay, John Tate may be correct as the THIRD husband of Elizabeth Claye who married (2) John Wall.

https://www.genealogieonline.nl/en/genealogie-arink/I9419.php

(copyright and not copiable)

12/2/2015 at 4:12 PM

Possible good link, but I'm not understanding. As far as I can tell so far Ann Nichols b married John Clay b 1587 only.

Next steps

- add John Clay's 2nd wife Elizabeth
- disconnect clearly "not" children
- find my resources; apparently there were TWO John Clay's in Jamestown

12/2/2015 at 4:22 PM

Oops now I get it. Elizabeth & Ann had been conflated.

Elizabeth Tate

Elizabeth married 1) John Clay 2) John Wall 3) John Tate.

And she is the mother of Charles Clay, of Charles City & Henrico

12/2/2015 at 4:23 PM

Yes, exactly.

12/2/2015 at 4:24 PM

I'm not sure when Ann and Elizabeth got merged.

12/2/2015 at 4:26 PM

Probably the merge took place almost two years ago March 2013 in two steps, so couldn't be undone.

12/2/2015 at 4:26 PM

From the Revisions.

12/2/2015 at 5:00 PM

Charles Clay, of Charles City & Henrico, said to have been the son of John Clay & Elizabeth.

married Hannah Stanley 7 children

However Geni has 3 additional wives

Elizabeth Tate

Mary Clay

Mary Clay

12/2/2015 at 5:18 PM

I do not find proof that John Clay's 1st wife Ann was a Nichols; perhaps it's an assumption from this record:

ANNE, his wife, in the Ann, August 1623

Servant. William Nichols aged 16 yeres, in the Dutie, in May, 1619."

(so far this source http://www.blankensteingenealogy.net/john_clay_&_anne.htm is a good study)

I am thinking Ann should be re named Ann (unknown) as per the record. This will also help the mismerge attempts with the gal in Connecticut.

12/2/2015 at 7:37 PM

That would make me happy.

12/2/2015 at 7:40 PM

Was Elizabeth "2nd wife" the wife of John, Ancient Planter, or his son John Jr.?

John Jr. B ca 1624, probably Charles City Co., Va; d. ca 1647, probably Charles City Co., Va.; md. ca 1644, probably Charles City Co., Va. to Elizabeth _____m who survived him to md. (2) John Wall and (3) John Tate

- Charles b abt 1638 of Bacon's Rebellion is Elizabeth's son, as he is named as step son by John Wall.

http://www.blankensteingenealogy.net/charles_clay_&_hannah_wils...

Disconnecting these profiles found as children of John Clay, ancient planter, but adding to project for easier re-homing:

Francis Clay
Margaret Coker
Ann Frame
Mary Clay
Elizabeth Clay
Henry Clay
Hannah Clay
Phillip Clay

12/2/2015 at 8:35 PM

I do not find that Judith Clay was the wife of William Clay, of Weyanoke Parish his wife's name was Emlyn, who survived him. I will set up a new William Clay as husband of Judith Corker & move the children over.

12/2/2015 at 10:43 PM

Wow the "project overview" I started with is almost completely deconstructed. :(

- I suspect the stray children will mostly belong to Charles & were misplaced
- the parents are curious - competing fathers?

Sir John Clay, "Coal Baron of Wales" vs Sir John Clay, "Coal Baron of Wales"

Not to mention a mother dead in 1587 the year of the ancient planter's birth?

The traditional pedigree has:

http://www.blankensteingenealogy.net/clay.htm

SIR JOHN3 CLAY I (JOHN "OF GLOUCHESTER"2, JOHN "OF DERBY"1) was born 1558 in Wales, England, and died May 16, 1632 in England. 

He married ?MARY CARLTON, daughter of WILLIAM CARLTON.  She was born Abt 1566 in England, and died in England.

Their third child:

JOHN4 CLAY (SIR JOHN3, JOHN "OF GLOUCHESTER"2, JOHN "OF DERBY"1) was born Abt 1592 in Monmouthshire, Wales, and died Abt 1638 in Charles City County, Virginia. 

He married ANNE Bef. 1613 in London, England.  She was born in England, and died in Virginia.

Children of JOHN CLAY and ANNE are:

# JOHN5 CLAY, b. Abt 1624, Charles City County, Va; d. Abt 1647, Charles City County, Va.
# WILLIAM CLAY, b. Abt 1628, Charles City County, Virginia; d. 1663, Charles City County, Va; m. EMLIN.

I am now adjusting dates accordingly.

12/4/2015 at 10:02 AM

John Clay, VIII and his mother Mary may belong in this line but don't know where yet.

12/4/2015 at 4:32 PM

OK this one is weird & needs input or research to help decide the Geni presentation

Hannah Wilson, widow of Charles Clay, married 2nd to Edward Stanley

Martha Stanley is thought (unproven) to have been their daughter. She married 1st to Ralph Blankenship & 2nd to Edward Stanley ... Her mother's widower?

12/4/2015 at 4:51 PM

David Howerton for your feedback Re Edward Stanley

12/5/2015 at 10:25 AM

Was Ann Frame a known daughter of the Ancient Planters Private User

12/7/2015 at 12:44 PM

... So i've gone ahead and disconnected Ann Frame as a daughter of John & Ann Clay, ancient planters.

It is i suppose possible but her age seems off. Does the speculative parenthood derive from this record ?

Now what became of the 1200 acres granted to John Clay in July 1635? They are not mentioned again, at least for some hundred years after the grant. It seems to me that John Clay, the immigrant, must have died shortly after the grant was made to him in July 1635. He must have been over 50 years of age at the time of his death; and the early immigrants died like flies. And, I am almost sure that the JOHN CLAY who with John Frame received the assignment of 2000 acres from Captain Francis Hooke (as appears in patent to William Bayly in May 1655; see above) was the second JOHN CLAY.

Showing all 24 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion