Started by Private User on Sunday, November 29, 2015
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing all 12 posts
Private User
11/29/2015 at 8:44 AM

http://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Allen-958

Yesterday I found this entry at WikiTree which causes me to to doubt most of what I thought I knew about George Allen. From this entry I learned that there is a written record of his transit to the New World in 1835. This entry also casts doubts on the name of either of his two wives. This entry also indicates that George Allen had no children named Rose, Francis, or James.

11/29/2015 at 10:34 AM

Please review this discussion http://www.geni.com/discussions/88305

Private User
11/29/2015 at 11:01 AM

Certainly I meant 1635, not 1835. Point being, though, that I now doubt much of the data I inherited from my family regarding George Allen.

12/8/2015 at 1:38 PM

I have reviewed some of the later posts in Discussion 88305 as suggested by Angus. I believe that the Jack E. Macdonald record for my ancestors within the post at http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~jacmac/allen.htm provided by Mark is accurate i.e. #1 in Generation #1 (George Allen), #4 in Generation #2 (Ralph Allen The Wheelright), #26 in Generation #3 (John Allen), #110 in Generation #4 (Judah Allen) and #335 in Generation #5 (Ebenezer, son of Judah and his first wife Rebeckah Wing). Since Angus requested that a merge not be undertaken, if I understand him correctly, I am leaving that to him based on the input of others including me.

8/11/2018 at 8:41 PM

I started looking at this profile because my profile for George was merged with this profile. I have some questions about the profile:
1) the only original record of the burial of George was the record in Sandwich in 1648. All the other records listed in the "Burial of Place" are from the www.findagrave.com site, and clearly someone's interpretation years later. Why are these included in the burial of place instead of the text?
2) of the three web sites listed for the Allen's of Thaxted, only one mentions a George Allen, and it is very difficult to understand why a son born in the West Country of England would be included. Are there any original records to support this idea?
3) The birth of George is listed as 1568 in Weymouth, Dorset, England. This appears to be very early for someone who had 9 or 10 children starting about 40 years later than that! Of course, the children of John Allen, Sr., of Sandwich were also born when he was about 50 years old.
Based on the questions above, I would prefer some more original records to support the profile!!!

8/12/2018 at 8:17 PM

A followup on my previous message. Like many people, for years I have been trying to find where George Allen came from before he arrived in Boston. In the process, I have found records that show that at least four of the suggestions for the origin of George are not our George Allen. It is clear that the name George Allen was relatively common, including at least several who were born of the right approximate date. It is also clear that we cannot identify George simply from the name and birth. So we need something more, like the record of the baptism of one of his children. The fact that he left from Weymouth, Dorset, appears to show that he came from the West Country, a term that usually encompasses the historic counties of Cornwall, Devon, Dorset, Somerset (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Country). All but one of the families who sailed from Weymouth with Rev. Hull, and whose origins have been identified, came from Somerset. There are several baptisms that might match George's servant, Edward Poole, all in Somerset. There is also the marriage of a Ralph Allen and Susan King in 1634 in Cloford, Somerset, which appears to match George's son Ralph “Wheelwright” Allen, Sr. Unfortunately there is no record of Ralph's baptism, so it appears likely that Ralph came from one of the parishes where the early parish registers have been lost.

As for George’s children, they were Ralph “Wheelwright” Allen, Sr., John Allen, Robert Allen, Rose (Allen) (Holloway) Newland and possibly Francis Allen (by first unknown wife), and William Allen, Matthew Allen, Henry Allen, Samuel Allen and Gideon Allen (by second wife Katherine, maiden name unknown, the lesser five children mentioned in George’s will) (see Anderson et al., The Great Migration, v. 1, 1999, p. 27-35). Anderson et al. (p. 34) also discuss a James Allen who lived in Sandwich for several years, but the records show that James was a son of Samuel Allen of Braintree, and moved from Sandwich to Chilmark/Tisbury. There are also two other Allens in the early to mid-1600’s, Ralph “Stonemason” Allen, Jr., who died in about 1659, and John Allen, who married Elizabeth Bacon in 1650 and moved to Newport, RI. Like James, there is no evidence that the last two are related to George, although there is some evidence that the last two were related.

8/12/2018 at 10:34 PM

I forgot another son of George, George Allen (Jr.), also a child of George and his first unknown wife, There is good evidence that 10 of the children of George are either children of George or siblings of children of George. Francis is the only possible child without any relationship in the records. There is some very weak evidence that Francis was related to Ralph (Stonemason) Allen, Jr., and John Allen of Sandwich and Newport, but I'll present that in a later message.

9/18/2018 at 9:18 AM

Last night, I compared the profile for Ralph Allen, of Sandwich (Ralph Allen, of Sandwich), shown as the brother of George Allen, of Weymouth, Dorset with the original records. The results are:

Ralph Allen, of Sandwich, b. March 15, 1564, Braunton, Devon, England, son of John Allen, Gent., and Elizabeth Allen, of Thaxted, Essex, England, d. May 10, 1652, Sandwich, MA
No wife or marriage

Children:
1) Emmett Allen (son), b. September 18, 1584, Braunton, Devon, England, d. August 05, 1651, Young, TX (not possible!)
2) Wilmot Allen (son), b. January 09, 1590, Braunton, Devon, England, d. 1643, Marwood, Devon, England
3) Thomas Allen, b. December 24, 1597, Braunton, Devon, England, October 16, 1688, Barnstable, MA
4) Richard Allen, b. May 06, 1601, Braunton, Devon, England, d. June 17, 1662, Will, Will County, IL (not possible!)
5) Matthew Allen, b. April 17, 1605, Braunton, Devon, England, d. February 01, 1670, Windsor, Hartford, CT
6) Andrew Allen (wrong family), b. 1611, Ashwater, Devon, England, d. October 24, 1690, Andover, Essex, MA
7) Ralph Allen (wrong family), b. 1615, Thurcaster, Leicestershire, England, d. December 18, 1691, Sandwich, MA

Parish Registers, Braunton, Devon, England:

Christening Richard Allen s. of Mathew, b. 15 Mar 1563[/4], Braunton, Devon, England
Marriage Richard Allen & Margret Wyott, 24 Sep 1583, Braunton, Devon, England
Burial Margret wife Richard Allin, 10 May 1642, Braunton, Devon, England
Burial Richard Allin Sr., 5 Aug 1651, Braunton, Devon, England
Will of Richard Allen the elder of Braunton, dated 29 Nov 1647, proved 10 May 1652, mentions son Thomas Allinge and his daughter Mary, son Mathew Allinge and his children John, Thomas & Mary, grandchildren Mary Tamling, Elianor Tamling, Obedience Garland & Elizabeth Tamling, daughter-in-law Elizabeth wife of son Richard, son Richard & his children John & Margaret, John Rice of Barnstaple, poor of Braunton, Walter Cutt, son Richard executor

Children:
1) Christening Emett Allen dau. Rich & Margret, 19 Dec 1584, Marriage Eme Allen & William Tollin, 30 Nov 1633
2) Christening Wilmot Allen dau. Richard & Margret, 9 Jan 1590[/1], Marriage Wilmote Allen & John Wheake, Braunton, 19 Jan 1613[/4]
3) Christening Thomas Allen s. Richard & Margret, 24 Dec 1597, in Braunton, Devon, and Dorchester & Barnstable, MA
4) Christening Rich Allen s. Richard & Margt, 6 May 1601, Marriage Richard Allen & Elizabeth Shephearde, Braunton, 24 Jun 1635, Will of Richard Allyn of Branton, yeoman, dated 12 May 1662, proved 17 Jun 1662, mentions son John, daughter Margaret, son Richard, son Thomas, son Matthew, daughter Elizabeth, daughter Mary, wife Elizabeth
5) Christening Mathew Allen s. Richard & Margt, 17 Apr 1605, in Cambridge, MA(?) & Hartford & Windsor, CT

The result shows that the profile of "Ralph Allen" is actually the family of Richard Allen of Braunton, Devon, England, son of Mathew Allen of Braunton, b. 15 Mar 1563[/4], and not a son of John Allen, Gent. or a brother of George Allen. Can one of the managers of the profile of George Allen, of Weymouth, Dorset (George Allen, of Weymouth, Dorset) talk with me about the profile?

9/22/2018 at 9:18 AM

Richardson B. Allen
You said
"The result shows that the profile of "Ralph Allen" Ralph Allen, of Sandwich https://www.geni.com/family-tree/index/6000000037338018130
is actually the family of Richard Allen of Braunton Richard ‘the Elder’ Allyn, of Braunton https://www.geni.com/family-tree/index/6000000000953551595, Devon, England, son of Mathew Allen of Braunton, b. 15 Mar 1563[/4], Matthew Allen, of Braunton and not a son of John Allen, Gent. John Allen, Gent., of Thaxted or a brother of George Allen George Allen, of Weymouth, Dorset.

Can one of the managers of the profile of George Allen, of Weymouth, Dorset (George Allen, of Weymouth, Dorset) talk with me about the profile?

9/22/2018 at 10:23 AM

Yes, the births of the first 5 children of "Ralph Allen, of Sandwich" (Ralph Allen, of Sandwich), are an exact match to the births of Richard Allen of Braunton, Devon, England (https://www.geni.com/family-tree/index/6000000000953551595), although his first two children are listed as sons in the "Ralph Allen, of Allen" profile, but daughters in the Braunton records:

Christening Emett Allen d. Rich & Margret [Braunton, Devon], 19 Dec 1584
Christening Wilmot Allen d. Richard & Margret [Braunton, Devon], 9 Jan 1590[/1]
Christening Thomas Allen s. Richard & Margret [Braunton, Devon], 24 Dec 1597
Christening Rich Allen s. Richard & Margt [Braunton, Devon], 6 May 1601
Christening Mathew Allen s. Richard & Margt [Braunton, Devon], 17 Apr 1605
(Dredge, J. Ingle, 1885, Transcript of Braunton, Devon parish registers, v. 1 (1538-1600) & v. 2 (1601-1666), Family History Library, film 0916821)

The last two sons in the profile of "Ralph Allen, of Sandwich", Andrew Allen, b. 1611, Ashwater, Devon, England, and Ralph Allen, b. 1615, Thurcaster, Leicestershire, England, are not related to Richard Allen of Braunton in any way. This is proved by Richard's will, which does not mention either Andrew and Ralph.

Thomas and Matthew both married in Braunton, Devon on 30 Jan 1621[/2] (Elizabeth Marke) and 2 Feb 1626[/7] (Margrett Wyot), and later moved to the colonies. The records in New England show clearly that Thomas and Matthew of New England were bothers, and the same as Thomas and Matthew of Braunton.

1) In listing from Lechford's notebook, mention of a copy of a deed of land by Mathew Allyn of CT gent. and Margaret his wife to Thomas Allyn of Barnstable], Co. Devon, yeoman, lands in Devonshire, dated 17: 10mo: 1638, also bond 6: 3mo: 1639 from Mathew Allyn of Hartford CT & wife Margaret to Thomas Allyn
2) In Lechford's notebook, account of Mathew Allen of Hartford CT [also mentions of Bramtom [Braunton], in Co. Devon] summoned to answer to Thomas Harwood & James Gamon of Barnstable, Co. Devon, re debt by obligation of 4 Jun 1640 [footnote dates this as 4 or 5 Oct 1641].
3) Thomas1 Allyn, b. Braunton Devonshire 24 Dec 1579 [bapt.], d. Barnstable MA Nov 1679, m. 1) Braunton Devonshire 20 Jan 1621 Elizabeth Marke dau. of John Marke of Braunton, d. 15 Sep 1622, m. 2) [MA] by 1644 Win[n]ifred Crawford widow of John Wolcott & later John Crawford, poss. he m. 3) widow Martha Gibson, poss. widow of Roger Jepson, children (by Winifred): 1) Samuel, b. 10 Feb 1644, bapt. 18 Feb 1644, d. 25 Nov 1726; 2) John, b. Barnstable MA 1646, bapt. 27 Sep 1646, m. 1674 Mary Howland dau. of John & Mary Lee Howland, b. Plymouth or Marshfield abt. 1652, d. Killingly CT bet 1711-1720; 3) Mehitable, b. 1648, bapt. 28 Aug 1648, m. 1 Jun 1667 Samuel Annable, she m. 2) May 1683 Cornelius Briggs of Scituate [Fuller Allen on Thomas Allyn].
4) In Lechford's notebook, agreement between Thomas Allen of Barnstable [MA] and John Ells of Dorchester planter for sale by Thomas of house in Bowport St. in Barnstable, Co. Devon, John to receive £20 owed Thomas on decease of Thomas's father-in-law John Marke of Bramton Co. Devon, a bond to be provided by Thomas' brother Richard Allen of Branton, Co. Devon yeoman, abt 1641.
5) In Lechford's notebook, agreements between Thomas Allen of Barnstable in New England yeoman and John Eells of Dorchester New England planter concerning house & land in Barnstable Co. Devon, and debts from Thomas' father-in-law John Mark[e] of Branton Co. Devon yeoman & Edward Langdon of the same yeoman, Thomas' brother Richard Allen of Branton (Braunton?], Devon Co,, yeoman to deliver money or bond, agreements dated 8 and 15 Jul 1641.
6) Certificate of Thomas Allyn, at request of Goodman White, to relate condition in which Thomas found Hugh Norman at "my" last being in ould England, which was abouth 5 years since, being employed by divers friends to __?__ him out & go to him about business of "my" own, he lived 2-3 miles from Taunton in a great house that had been plundered, went to his "cozen" Mr Richards, etc., dated at Barnstable 26:1mo:1654, signed by Thomas Allyn [Plymouth Colony Deeds].

9/22/2018 at 11:04 AM

Notice also the The Great Migration Directory, Immigrants to New England, 1620-1640 (Robert Charles Anderson, New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2015):

p. 6, Matthew Allyn: Braunton, Devon; 1633; Cambridge, Hartford, Windsor (various sources.

p. 5, Thomas Allen: Braunton, Devon; 1636; Dorchester, Barnstable (various sources).

Also The Great Migration Begins, Immigrants to New England 1620-1633, v. I, A-F (Robert Charles Anderson, Great Migration Study Project, New England Historic Genealogical Society, 1995), Matthew Allyn, p. 40-44,

Showing all 12 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion