Roger de Lacy, Lord Pontefract, Baron of Halton - Seriously messed up dates

Started by Private User on Saturday, September 12, 2015
Showing all 4 posts
Private User
9/12/2015 at 11:34 PM

I mean really! "Daughters" who are approximately the same age that he is?

And just who, exactly, was his mother, or do we know?

His wife is definitely a de ClEre of either Yorkshire or Norfolk - not a de ClAre.

9/13/2015 at 5:06 PM

Am searching. So far I have found no solid documentation of any daughters. Even the Dictionary of National Biography states: " Roger de Lacy married Maude de Clere, sister of the treasurer of York Cathedral, and left by her two sons, John, Earl of Lincoln, and Roger. No reference to any daughters. Maude was not of the "de Clare" family.

9/13/2015 at 5:25 PM

I'm afraid that also, not only may some of the information not be correct, but if you follow from this profile down, Eustace fitzJohn, Lord of Alnwick, Constable of Cheshire there are multiple parents as well. Someone needs to check the merges and fix this lineage. They are my grandparents as well.

Private User
9/13/2015 at 9:23 PM

There is a tradition that a Geoffrey(?) de Whalley married a daughter of Roger de Lacy - said by some to be named Maud. The source, however, appears to be a piece of early 19th century historical fiction about the lords of Clitheroe Castle.

Medlands, incidentally, puts overly much faith in a "manuscript history of the Lacy family" which is manifestly late in composition (15th century or thereabouts) and full of errors (like naming Roger's wife a de Clare instead of a de Clere, and like marrying his mother to her first cousin - which would have required a Papal dispensation which is nowhere recorded).

Showing all 4 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion