Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 14 posts
9/4/2015 at 12:27 AM

Thanks for posting, Arie. They missed Caligula, Roman Emperor

9/4/2015 at 1:23 AM

Hi Erica, I couldn't find the actual survey itself but apparently it was rather limited (only 60 names in total) and very English-biased. And without specific criteria for "good" and "bad" there are probably many more contenders for both ends of the spectrum.

For example, Napoléon I, emperor of the French has a bad reputation, but in France he is almost a saint nowadays. And to be honest, he took most of Europe out of the Middle Ages into the modern era, with the exception of Britain (which is basically still a medieval country)

9/4/2015 at 2:52 AM

Lol! 'Still a medieval country'. I sometimes wish we were still a medieval country! We have medieval streets trying to cope with modern traffic in our town - the two don't mix well.

Private User
9/4/2015 at 6:10 AM

Interesting

10/2/2015 at 7:36 AM

The eye of the beholder. Thanks for this opinion poll.

10/2/2015 at 10:32 AM

Hmm for me there would be a tie between the contenders for best and worst.

Best:

- Ashoka the Great
- Frederick the Great

Worst:

- Elagabalus
- Christian VII of Denmark-Norway

10/2/2015 at 12:48 PM

Quite why Alexander the Great makes anyone's list of "best monarchs" beats me. Granted that he was a great general, and his conquests (divvied up between his subordinates on his death) saw a spread of the Greek language, which some would think was a good thing; he was also a megalomaniac, a drunkard, and a murderer, with no obvious purpose to his conquests which were too big for any monarch to manage effectively at the time. Difficult to think of anything he did which lasted, except to leave a legend behind him to spur on other megalomaniacs to (usually) disaster. Even the Greek cities which his father had subjugated split up again into squabbling independent entities and were thus easily taken over by the Romans.

10/19/2015 at 1:19 AM

Napoleon Bonaparte was a visionary whose legacy should be viewed without the ridiculous English Eyeware that we Americans favor for some unfathomable reason especially for a country colonized largely by British political refugees and deportees.

10/20/2015 at 11:04 AM

What was his vision, then? And why couldn't he get on with it quietly in France?

Private User
10/22/2015 at 7:04 AM

Ya, he wasn't some wonderful. Kind of a promious horses butt.

10/22/2015 at 8:57 AM

personal view of napoleon from a member of a noble family ,french canadian.

napoleon was a tyrant was a war man ..he endorse meritocracy
i got a nice song

Meurs Bonaparte
meurs infâme tyran
pour que tu partes (can also say creve)
j'invoquerai satan (can say also j'implorerai)
la fièvre quarte
et l'enfer qui t'attend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSoOJiPWeXQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p11prSplr8w

Private User
10/23/2015 at 11:21 AM

Aren't most monarch horrible up until the last century? It appears to me that they were responsible for almost all wars? Therefore millions of innocent lives were killed by monarch. All have blood on their hands which sad to say these were great grandparents of mine. Proud to say i have no blood on my hands like them.

10/24/2015 at 3:03 AM

Here are Napoleon's top 5 hits to get you started: http://napoleononline.ca/about/napoleon-rocks/

There are hundreds of books written on Napoleon and his role in the formation of Modern Europe. He was a complex character who still inspires heated debate, but the debate is generally over just how much credit to give him. No real scholar would attempt to trivialize the man.

Showing all 14 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion