Rurik, Founder of the Rurikid Dynasty - Rurik's name

Started by Alex Moes on Tuesday, August 18, 2015
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 61-81 of 81 posts

Yet, both Adam of Bremen and Snorri Sturluson, both writing much earlier, thought the Uppsala cult center was at or near Sigtuna, which is near what is now Gamla Uppsala. That's 200 years earlier than the name change.

People get so caught up arguing, I wonder why no one thinks of the obvious -- there could have been two cult centers, one for the Svea and one for the Geats, both worshiping the same or similar gods.

Yes and maybe there could have been two Sigtuna also. ; )

When we take a place like Rügen and the area of the Wends for instance. There was several places of worship with small variations.
We know that from the different sagas.
Although some middleage researchers believe that Saxo had a political motive of promoting the hethern attitute of the Vends. If they were semi christian, the danes could not well attack the area and put it in under the danish throne.
Language researches say that eventhough you will exspect some latinisation of the words, the words in saxo does not sound Slavic enough.
That is more the case with other sagas.

There actually were an old Sigtuna, from ca. 550-800 and until 1000, that also were moved and became the new Sigtuna in the end of 900. There could also be several other Sigtuna's, as the name more refers to how the landscape looks like in combination what the purpose for the place are, in this case, fenced area with a marketplace.

I'm starting to think about Walmark...nothing seems new.

http://www.nb.no/nbsok/nb/f4094b93542821f67f0bb9a9d88d8dcc#0 A book about Gangerolvs Mighty area of Møre - The Road to Sigtuna and Birka. (The link may only be accessible from a norwegian IP)

This book gives another possibility of the geographical positions of Sigtuna and Birka, close to where https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rognvald_Eysteinsson lived, the father of Gange-Hrólfr 'Rollo' Ragnvaldsson

I'm not saying the story in the book is true, but it is absolutely an interesting possibility, stating that Sigtuna and Birka are on the NW part of Norway, close to todays Aalesund, instead of in Sweden.

When you start watching, there are always more theories ;)

Well, at least what I wrote earlier turned out to be no theories at all, but I liked this picture very much, notice the figures of stone chunks placed on top of each other just like snowmen's but in stone instead of snow.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%B8re_og_Romsdal#/media/File:Dals...

Again I really wish I could have been a fly on the wall back in the day.

We problely will never know.

What we can do is list some of the theories that have been placed here on the profile. Some of them are very interesting, hoveever not verified (Yet at least)

Remi Trygve Pedersen, the book by Per Eldar Linge made an impression on us, because of the precise description of the landscape.The geography exactly matches passages from Adam of Bremen, and Linge explains some possibilities supported and explained from his languagestudies. True or not, this book is worth reading.

http://www.nb.no/nbsok/nb/f4094b93542821f67f0bb9a9d88d8dcc#3

Lise Nymark-Engelstad
Tilgang:
Tilgang for norske IP-adresser

Maybe someone can provide a pdf link instead?

As Ulf said. It would be nice to be able to read the book!

Justin, When you are Dealing with these subjects, history, genealogy etc you have to concider them as social science. In other words have an advanced approach to theory of science with many perspectives in order to be as correct as possible with a specific viewpoint. The so called interdisciplinary science has grown far (see it as the equivalence of quantum physics in physics.) It has to be interdisciplinary or more advanced social science to be understood. And in order to do so you need to use a science that is not like the old fashioned science of nature which could claim that one perspective is stronger than another perspective. How constructive would that be in social science. You have to falsify as much as you can all the time, and lay pussels. Try to find new pieces and see if they fit, otherwise youhave to relay them. Not create the pieces in the pussel yourself. And this should be a process that is going on all the time.

The Svealand - theory, as you refer to is really false indeed. It doesnt hold water to anything. The latest 30 yrs this has become quite obvious among different people as we look at things in a more advanced way than before.

Atleast we can forget about the Svear as something to be in the Area of Svealand of today. That was manufactured as a part of Sweden much much later and has nothing to do with Swedes or not. It was the area of jurisdiction (courts etc) in Sweden as a unitary state. And now they are used in the weathermaps in tv most of the time. From the beginning Värmland was a part of the Götaland of today aswell, (old ties to Västergötland and "old" Sweden)

Svear is most likely a gathering-name of all the swedes (from danish, german and norweigan perspectives. And first of all the areas most close to Denmark, Norway and the rest of western Europe.

Ofcourse it has had burial mounds etc, even in the area of Uppsala of today. But compare them with the Burial grounds in Västergötland, much older and larger)

My answer in Paranthesis:

Johan, it's a reasonable argument but not so certain as you say. Archaeology shows that the site of what is now Gamla Uppsala was occupied during the Bronze Age, with buildings and burial mounds.. It was not called Uppsala originally, but it's not clear when the name changed so it's not clear whether it could have been the place referred to by Adam of Bremen and Snorri Sturluson.

(You are right, it is not clear, this is what i am saying) (ofcourse even Uppland of today had some burial grounds as the province came up from the water - but compare the megalith foundings in Västergötland - connected to advanced society and Ubsola cults.. How many of them do you find in Uppland?

Both of them apparently thought it was at Gamla Uppsala. Adam says it was near Sigtuna. Snorri says it was in Old Sigtun at Lake Mälaren.

(As I have said before you should check from the links I send you - there are 29 Uppsala names in Västergötland and according to the link only 7 or similar in "Uppland". So there can be an Old Uppsala (Gamla Uppsala) elsewhere than Uppland!!? And Snorri doesnt say that it was in lake Mälaren - he says it was by the lake Lagrinn! Huge difference. Who says that Lagrinn is Mälaren? :) By the way, during this time Mälaren was a bay of the sea, not a lake...if we use interdisciplinary science in this way with a little bit of geology into the area of archeology or genealogy it is suddenly so much easier)

The problem is that archaeologists have not found anything that could match Adam's description. When I was in college the usual explanation was that Adam was exaggerating to make a more glorious past. Nowadays, there is this other theory

that Adam and Snorri were wrong about the location, or that they have been misread.

(Who says so? Ofcourse we have - this is what i am telling you. The pieces fit much better in Västergötland) (Ofcourse they can claim that Adam and Snorri had it wrong or misread - when it doesnt fit with the theory!! You must have both theory and Empiri!! The official theory of today has only theory.

Here is a balanced presentation of the main points:
http://www.wilmer-t.net/fornnorden/AncientNordic/Ubsola.html

(What about this link? Is it more true just because these guys say? Where are their arguments, and in what way is backed up - compare to theories backed by arguments and empiria.

Nothing is certain. I think the most reasonable position is to doubt both sides until there is more evidence. (I agree)

Yet, both Adam of Bremen and Snorri Sturluson, both writing much earlier, thought the Uppsala cult center was at or near Sigtuna, which is near what is now Gamla Uppsala. That's 200 years earlier than the name change.

(they can still refer to Västergötland or any other place or places that one place in Uppland that is now called Uppsala. There are places in Västergötland called Sigtuna too. Even plural, Fornu Sigtunir. Sigtuna as a new town in a new consolidated territory could easily been named Sigtuna after the old plural Fornu Sigtunir)

People get so caught up arguing, I wonder why no one thinks of the obvious -- there could have been two cult centers, one for the Svea and one for the Geats, both worshiping the same or similar gods.

When you start watching, there are always more theories ;)

(Most likely another kind of cult north of the Väster and Östergötland - did they found traces of women in the thhree mounds in Uppsala? Can it be a maternal sociaety - like in Finland and Estonia at this time.. ?
And remember - theories, yes - but what about Empiria and Arguments

ETc Etc

Johan,

It will be fun to debate the details, but first I think you need to focus on what I'm saying so you aren't arguing against the wrong thing.

Ulf thinks Rurik was born in some place called Uppsala. He thinks there is no reasonable doubt. I think Ulf's theory is plausible, but I think there's a lot of doubt. I see several other reasonable theories about Rurik's parents and birth place.

You think the Uppsala where Rurik was born is a place in Västergötland, not Gamla Uppsala. You think there is no reasonable doubt. You said once it is as easy as 1+1 does not equal 3. I disagree. I think your theory is plausible, but I see other reasonable theories.

No matter how many arguments you come with to show that your way is the only right way, I'm always going to keep looking at all the other theories that think their way is the only right way. They're all interesting, but I don't think any of them have proved it.

You are lecturing me about social science and interdisciplinary studies. I know about that. I'm not some early 20th century Logical Positivist. I've been out of school for 30 years now but I still keep up on the latest academic trends in history and historiography. That's exactly the reason I can't accept your reductionist arguments.

Justin,

Then you should know about the abandoned Svealand theory. Right?

Johan Lindqvist I can't lay claim to Justin's degree of education in these fields, but I'm reasonably good at separating claims that are supported by websites curated by single individuals from claims that are clearly supported by a range of publications from reputable sources.

Per Einar Linge and Wilmer Thomas seem to clearly fall into the "single individual's claims" categories; one got his book published (by a newspaper!), the other seems to run his own website and contribute to Wikipedia (he stopped in 2003, apparently). Neither seems to have gathered much interest in the world of people who research history for a living.

Hej!

Sure, I know that.

Have you heard about Jan Guillou? Books about Arn. And many others who are reasoning in the same way.

I certainly about the problem of trying to disentangle references to the Svear, the Geats, and the Goths. That's been going on for 100 years or more. No one seems to be able to come up with answer that satisfies all the problems. When you say the "abandoned Svealand theory" I get the impression you are reading one source and thinking it is the only source.

Jordanes in the 6th century mentions the Svear and the Geats as separate tribes, but also says the Goths came from the same area. The earliest Scandinavian sources mention the border between Svealand and Götland, but the stories from the sagas sometimes treat them the same, other times different, sometimes the Goths are subordinate to the Svear, sometimes a Goth king rules the Svear, etc.

You yourself seem to understand some of this when you say that north of Väster- and Östergötland there might have been a different cult.

What I generally see in the academic literature is a lot of disagreement about the details of it played out, and how the modern Swedes are politically motivated to make arguments that foreign scholars don't accept.

Beyond that, what I see is general agreement that the Svear and Geats might (maybe, it would make sense, not necessarily but could be) have originally been the same culture, that it separated into two different political enclaves but each continued to be very open politically to the other, so that when the areas were finally united for the last time, the traditional names were preserved. And maybe that unification was peaceful, or maybe it wasn't -- depending on who you're reading.

Harald, what I like about Wilmer Thomas' presentation is the presentation. I had never heard of him until I did a google search looking for something like that. Balanced. Even-handed. Doesn't shy away from the messy details even when they lead to an inconclusive result. Not a True Believer with a stake in either theory.

Not being a True Believer myself, I always admire the people who can lay out both sides of an argument without bending and omitting to achieve the desired result ;)

Hi! Short answer. I know about all the things you mentioned in previous mail here.

I´m not saying that there is one theory that can substitute the Svealand "school"

Im just saying the Svealand theory is the one who should be really questioned. By so many reasons.

We all have to be very critical of it. It has been the dominant theory for all the time and has had very little critique (historically) so we are used the things it is saying.

But, if you argue - which one should when it comes to science, and when it comes to not the right Empiria - then it is arguably very easy to falsify.

I dont know your sources when you say all these things. But it seems you miss the arguments behind them? Instead letting yourself have an opinion that is worth much, perhaps more than others?

I'm critical of them all. Have you guessed that by now? ;)

Alright, I have figured. ;)

Showing 61-81 of 81 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion