Col. George Reade, Acting Gov. - Ancestry of George Reade

Started by Erica Howton on Wednesday, July 22, 2015
Showing all 8 posts
7/22/2015 at 9:21 PM

The "traditional pedigree" has his grandparents, Robert Reade, of Linkenholt & Alice Reade born about 1536

Their son Andrew Reade married about 1550 to Alice Reade

So we have a problem ...

Anyone have insight & better sources? Did Gary Boyd cover it in his work on George Washington?

7/26/2015 at 3:17 PM

I have Robert Reade as being married to Alice O'Pooley, daughter of Francis and Andrew Reade being married to an Alice Cooke, parents unknown. (she wasn't from a high-powered Cooke family as has been speculated).

https://captainjamesdavisgenealogy.wordpress.com/2013/02/08/colonel...

7/26/2015 at 4:05 PM

Take a look at the crazy dates for marriage & children's birth of Andrew Reade & Alice Cooke

Andrew Reade

- if his parents were born about 1536, getting married abt 1550 (at 13?), he wasn't getting married about 1550 ... :)

- If Andrew was born about 1550, he wasn't having children born in the 1560s, and certainly not #5, born a century later abt 1658 ...

Is it a lot of typos or ...

?

8/2/2015 at 6:48 PM

Sometimes, the dates are "educated" guesses. Kids get named after parents and grandparents. Really, back in those days, the number of names used was pretty small. It's always interesting, isn't it? In my personal files, Andrew was born about 1556 and Alice Cooke about 1558. Andrew's father Robert and Alice O'Pooley were born about 1536.

12/24/2015 at 9:46 AM

The will of Col George Reade was probated 20 November, 1671 from what I've found
https://archive.org/stream/somenotablefami00watsgoog#page/n118/mode...

So the date on the headstone would be incorrect...
Anyone have any insight into that?

12/24/2015 at 9:52 AM

Yes, the explanation is buried in notes on his profile overview

===

Adventurers of Purse and Person 1607 - 1624/5 and Their Families" published by the Order of First Families of Virginia, indicates in a footnote (pp. 419-420) the discrepancy between the dates inscribed on his Grace Church tablets and the filing of the wills for George Read and his wife Elizabeth as follows: "His and his wife's gravestones were discovered during street excavations in Yorktown in 1931. The inscriptions on both were recut with errors. George Reade's stone now states he died Oct. 1674, "he being in the 66th yr of his age." Since the date should be 1671 (per his will), either the age shown, or his year of birth, is in error as well....The gravestone of Elizabeth (Martiau) Read now states she was born in 1625 and died in 1696, "being in ye 71st yeare of her age." Since the year of death should be 1686 (per her will), again the age or year of birth is in error. Since Nicholas Martiau claimed...his daughter Elizabeth as headrights...it would appear Elizabeth was born prior to his arrival in Virginia in 1620...and that Elizabeth's birth occurred in 1615 rather than 1625."Birth: 1625 Ancestor of George Washington .Also descended from the Reades were Robert E Lee and Thomas Nelson (a signer of the Declaration of Independence). "From what I have read, the death date engraved on his stone is incorrect. The gravestone was re-cut after it was discovered in 1931. He actually died 21 Nov 1671, not Oct 1674." S.R.F.

1/19/2018 at 2:29 AM

Helen is correct in her statement that the name pool was very limited back in the day especially among our non-Puritan kin. Much of this can be blamed upon the concept of Christian names which were required by the Church and drawn from the list of various saints. I have heard that it was part of the early conversion movement which sought to erase all references to pagan heroes and traditions. Further, certain cultures had a specific order of names based upon birth order. In Poland the eldest daughter was named Eleanor, the second Anna or the Polish variations thereof. I don't know where they went from there, but all of my mother's cousins have an Eleanor in the family.

1/19/2018 at 2:29 AM

Helen is correct in her statement that the name pool was very limited back in the day especially among our non-Puritan kin. Much of this can be blamed upon the concept of Christian names which were required by the Church and drawn from the list of various saints. I have heard that it was part of the early conversion movement which sought to erase all references to pagan heroes and traditions. Further, certain cultures had a specific order of names based upon birth order. In Poland the eldest daughter was named Eleanor, the second Anna or the Polish variations thereof. I don't know where they went from there, but all of my mother's cousins have an Eleanor in the family.

Showing all 8 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion