Julien de Savoye - Alternative Data After Merges

Started by Sharon Doubell on Tuesday, July 21, 2015
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 7 posts
7/21/2015 at 2:34 AM

Birthplace: Ath, Henegouw, Spanish Netherlands OR Ath, Hainaut, Walloon Region, Belgium

Private User
7/21/2015 at 11:11 AM

I've always known Ath to be in Flanders..(present day French speaking part of Belgium)..I would say: Ath, Hainaut, Flanders.

7/22/2015 at 12:08 AM

Thanks Danielle. Take a look at the About reference to Spanish Netherlands and tell me what you think of that. I must admit to being clueless here.

Private User
7/22/2015 at 2:39 AM

I had to guess at that, Sharon as I don't speak Afrikaans..But as far as I know the Spanish Netherlands was the area that was dominated by the Spanish crown, (Hapsburgs) which covered modern day Holland, Belgium, Luxembourg, etc....It would be correct to use that for Julien's profile.. It lasted from 1581-1714....Or you could just put Flanders...I think either would be correct...Only Belgium wouldn't be, as that didn't exist until the 19th C.

7/24/2015 at 3:58 AM

More info from another Geni user:
Ath is in Wallonia you are right. Belgium is divided in 2 communities North is Flamish speaking (Dutch) and named FLANDERS. South is French speaking.
ATH is NOT in FLANDERS. ATH is located West South of Brussels( the Capital of EEC and Belgium).
The province is HAINAUT or HENEGAUW in Dutch. We have a translation for each city ex GENT is GAND. ANTWERPEN is ANVERS . NAMUR is NAMEN. MONS is BERGEN.
By the way I am BELGIAN ..

2/3/2017 at 1:28 AM

Forename Julien OR Giuliano(Julien) de Savoie, Écuyer de la branche Nemours et Gand, het Huis van Savoie

Display Name Julien de Savoye OR Écuyer Julien de Savoie

12/5/2019 at 11:29 AM

Baptism Location Ath, Province Henegouwe In Spanish Netherlands Ath, Hainaut, Walloon Region, Belgium

Showing all 7 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion