Jesus of Nazareth - Birth and Death

Started by Pamela Joyce Tisdale Poppe Antrup on Sunday, July 5, 2015
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 3 posts
7/5/2015 at 4:12 PM

This is simply a question out of curiousity. Not meant to start a religious debate. After reading some research on the astronomical, historical and geological findings as well as some research done by the different religions, a lot find that Jesus may have been born around 9/25/6 B.C. and died at 3pm on Friday, April 1st, 33 A.D. They talk about Passover, the slaughter of the lambs, etc. It is proven that he was not born in December and findings of the month of birth and death depend on the researchers determined and translated from the Bible. My question is this, weather he died on a Wednesday, Thursday or Friday and rose on a Saturday, Sunday or Monday, why is Easter not celebrated on the same day every year as is Thanksgiving, Christmas, Halloween, etc.? If, and I do say IF, he died on April 1st, lay for three nights, and rose on April 4th, then why is Easter not celebrated every year on April 4th or even the first Sunday or Monday of every year ? Why does it change? Is it simply because they cannot accurately pin point an exact date? As I said, it is simply a question and not meant for debate or insult.

7/5/2015 at 4:55 PM

People have been arguing about that ever since it happened ;)

The short answer, I think, is that Easter is still tied to the idea of Passover, which moves.

Easter is the first Sunday after the first Full Moon after the Vernal Equinox. The Eastern church uses the real Vernal Equinox and the real Full Moon, but the Western church uses March 21 for the Vernal Equinox and instead of the real Full Moon they use the Full Moon as calculated in advance by tables that are sometimes slightly off.

In contrast, Passover always starts of the 15th of Nissan. Nissan usually begins about the time of the Vernal Equinox. Theoretically, the 15th would be about the time of the 1st Full Moon after the Vernal Equinox, but the Jewish calendar moves around a bit compared to the western calendar so it doesn't always work out that way.

7/5/2015 at 5:19 PM

Thanks. Makes sense.

Showing all 3 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion