Helgi "the Sharp" Fridleifsson, King of Ringerike - Too many Helgi the Sharps?

Started by Harald Tveit Alvestrand on Wednesday, April 8, 2015
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Showing all 20 posts
4/8/2015 at 3:07 AM

I suspect we have a mixture of people named "Helgi den Vasse" (Helgi the Sharp) here.

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helgi_the_Sharp_(Ringerike) which quotes from Ragnarsona Tattr, the one who's the father of Sigurd Hjort was the son of Ring and the brother of Gudrød (neither name is unique, btw).

At the moment, this Helgi is the son of either Fridleif Fridleifsson or Gudrød Halvdansson, and the "about me" is not very clear about which sources it's using.

Suggestions?

Private User
4/8/2015 at 4:22 AM

Just a generation mix with his grandfather?

4/8/2015 at 4:58 AM

the Gudrød he's listed as son of is, unfortunately, Gudrød Halfdansson.... and Halfdan Milde is definitely not identified with anyone named Ring in the sources I'm aware of.

Private User
4/8/2015 at 7:51 AM
5/18/2015 at 1:39 AM

both fathers are recent additions to the tree i'd disconnect both of them.

The second 1/2 of the About is in Danish, according to Google, so i shouldn't have to explain it to you :) I would guess that his wife Aslaug has been confused with her grandmother by somebody with the grandmother's story ending up in Helgi's About somehow. So i would delete that too.

As for who he actually is i found this, perhaps it will help:

"Dagling or Dögling was a legendary clan of the petty kingdom Ringerike. It was descended from a Dag the Great. One of the sons of Dag the Great according to Hversu Noregr Byggðist was Óli, who was the father of Dag, the father of Óleif the father of Hring (the old king Ring of Frithiof's Saga), the father of Olaf, the father of Helgi, the father of Sigurd Hjort, the father of Ragnhild, who was the mother of Harald Fairhair(Harald Hafdi)."

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringerike#History

5/18/2015 at 6:09 AM

Fathers of Helgi removed (for now).

the second half of his About is actually about Aslaug Kraka, not about him. Looks weird.

5/18/2015 at 6:27 PM

I think this is "Dag the Great" King Dag "the Great" Halvdansson of Ringerike

5/18/2015 at 6:34 PM

Which would make this profile, Olav Ringsson, of Ringerike, "Olaf, the father of Helgi"

so i will connect here as there does not seem to be a better candidate that i can find.

5/18/2015 at 6:37 PM

Note: the dates dont match but in this part of the tree it's not really a concern :)

Private User
5/18/2015 at 6:49 PM

Before: Olav Ringsson is my 40th great grandfather.
After: Olav Ringsson is my 30th great grandfather.

Before! Ring II OLEIVSSON is my 41st great grandfather.
After! Ring II OLEIVSSON is my 31st great grandfather.

; )

5/18/2015 at 9:16 PM

Could a Curator edit the name fields, whoever Fridleif was he's been lost among the merges.

5/18/2015 at 11:21 PM

Private User that sounds suspicious.

Alex Moes both Dag and Olav are quite common names. From the sources quoted, it seems that it's either Helgi son of Olav son of Dag or Helgi son of Dag.

Can you fill in the "about me" on Olav too with the saga he's quoted in (Hversu Noregr Byggdist)? Note - the Heimskringla link to Hversu doesn't work any more - there's a new link on the Scandinavian Sagas project page.

5/18/2015 at 11:25 PM

FWIW, Fridleif (Leif the peaceful) was the name of two kings in the Danish line descended from Skjold, who was said to be Odin's son (Skjoldungane).

The younger of the two didn't have a very peaceful time, so was nicknamed "Hær-Leif" (army-Leif), but still listed as Fridleif in the descendant charts.

Offhand, I can't remember a saga linking them to Helgi the Sharp!

5/18/2015 at 11:41 PM

No problem, Harald will do that happily

5/19/2015 at 2:26 AM

BTW - watching the dates can be useful - but only the first few digits.

For instance, there are 2 Bjørn Jernsida in the tree that I know of - one was a son of Ragnar Lodbrok, the other was a Danish prince around 1000 who was murdered by his brother.

At one time, the two were merged. Now they're disentangled, and I hope they stay that way.

Differing years are no worry. Differing centuries .... take care.

5/19/2015 at 8:09 PM

possibly King Helgi

5/19/2015 at 8:19 PM

Harald, the link on the Sagas Project still takes me to http://www.heimskringla.no/wiki/Hovedside which does not work.

5/19/2015 at 11:38 PM

@alex, Heimskringla still has a lot of useful material, just not "Hvorledes Norge ble bosatt".

There's a special link entitled ""Hvorledes Norge ble bosatt" from "Flateyarbok"" - and a generic link further down to norsesaga.no.

5/19/2015 at 11:46 PM

garg - the "king helgi" tree is such a mess, it's not really worth merging....
Helgi "the keen" is a standalone profile - merging him is a mercy.

Showing all 20 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion