Improving the Irish branches of the Geni World Tree

Started by Private User on Monday, February 16, 2015
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing all 14 posts
Private User
2/16/2015 at 7:11 AM

Improving the Irish branches of the Geni World Tree.

Lately I have come across a lot of profiles were there is only a name filled in, no country, no dates, this makes it almost impossible to match or connect these profiles to the Geni World Tree. The fun really starts when someone has a name like William Murphy and no other information has been added to his profile as this name is extremely common.

Researching Irish ancestors is one of the most difficult tasks in genealogy due a couple of factors:
1. The lack of records
2. Very common names
3. Not knowing where in Ireland the ancestors came from.

In case the Irish ancestor was an immigrant:
* Research all records available in the adopted country first.

=What information should a profile contain?=

* Year of birth, normally you would be able to at least estimate this.
* Year of death, or estimated year of death
* Full name
* Place of death
* Country or place of death
* If possible place of residence
* In addition to this make use of the ''About section'' to give more information that can be useful.

The edit function of the profile gives the option to fill in a ''between and between'' date of birth and death.

So, Please add as much information possible and let us improve the Irish World Tree on Geni
More information and a link to sources can be found in the Irish Portal http://www.geni.com/projects/Irish-Portal/8351
If you are interested in improving the Irish World Tree please join the Irish collaboration pool by adding yourself as a collaborator http://www.geni.com/projects/Irish-Collaboration-Pool/24657

8/15/2015 at 11:07 AM

He is my 30th Grandfather.

Private User
8/16/2015 at 10:01 AM

Who is your 30th Grandfather @Alan ?

8/17/2015 at 10:19 AM

HI Anne-Marie, I must still be computer challenged. This message was supposed to be in reply to someone's thread concerning Rollo or Roland of Normandie. Hope you are well. Bisous, Alan

Private User
8/17/2015 at 11:59 AM

Hi Alan no problem I thought I had missed something :)

Niall of the Nine Hostages, King of the Connachta

He has changed so many time I had him as GG on both sides at different times

Private User
8/17/2015 at 6:18 PM

42nd Great Grandfather on Mom's side 45th GGF on Dad's side, lol.

Private User
8/18/2015 at 1:41 AM

Niall of the Nine Hostages, King of the Connachta is my fourth cousin 56 times removed strange enough not over the Irish branch in my tree but over the DUTCH line lol

8/19/2015 at 4:33 AM

Back to the thread.... I agree Anne-Marie. It helps so much, not just in Irish research, if profiles place of birth or death or at least a place of residence then if there are two profiles of the same name it is much easier to judge if they are the same person (just one example of the usefulness).

11/25/2019 at 8:28 AM

Hi,
I just read an article about him on IrishCentral.com and it said that he was born in Wales and brought to Ireland as a slave.
Apparently he has over three million descendants.

11/25/2019 at 8:28 AM

Hi,
I just read an article about him on IrishCentral.com and it said that he was born in Wales and brought to Ireland as a slave.
Apparently he has over three million descendants.

Showing all 14 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion