Hans Herr wife and children controveries

Started by Jim Wile on Thursday, February 12, 2015
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 24 posts
2/12/2015 at 6:06 PM

The "Pennsylvania Mennonite Heritage" magazine, volume XV, Number 1 of January 1992 has an extensive genealogy of the Kendig family by Jane Evans Best. Best also refutes the fact that Hans Herr was married to Elizabeth Kendig because Elizabeth, daughter of John Jacob Kendig and Jane Mylin/Mayle, was married to Anstett Volken. Best suggests a sister of John Jacob Kendig; Barbel Kendig, as a possible wife to Hans Herr.

2/12/2015 at 6:20 PM

Richard Davis: There were three refugee lists which were made when hundreds of Anabaptists (Mennonites) were exiled in 1671 from Switzerland. Two lists are found at the Mennonite Archives in Amsterdam, Holland. The third list has not yet been found. I have published the lists in my book "Emigrants, Refugees and Prisoners" Volume I.
Among the refugees staying temporarily in the Dirmstein District of the Pfalz were the following;

Christian Herr, age 30, wife Grietgen Loetscher, age 28.
Hans Herr, age 20, wife Elsbeth Loetscher, age 22, no children.

The list was made for the Holland Mennonites. Grietgen is a form of Margaret in dutch. The list usually mentioned how many children were in each family and their ages, but no children were listed for either Hans or Christian Herr. They probably were both recently married. Hans' children are well documented in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. I found two Herrs, Christian and Hans who were Mennonites living in the Pfalz who were probably the children of Christian Herr (b. 1641).

Theodore W. Herr was incorrect in his assumption that Hans Herr married Eliszabeth Kendig. There is no supporting evidence. It was pure speculation. Also the birth dates of both Hans and his son were speculated by Theodore Herr and are not supported by newly found evidence. There was only one Mennonite (Anabaptist) Hans Herr during that time period.

This is a correction to Hans Herr's wife. He did not marry a Kendig. He was exiled in 1671 from Canton Bern, Switzerland to the Pfalz with his wife, Elsbeth Loetscher. Here is his family.

Hans Herr, b. 1651. He was an Anabaptist (Mennonite) and married Elsbeth Loetscher (b. 1649), daughter of Anabaptist Hans Loetscher of Latterbach, Bern.
1. Abraham Herr, b. c 1673. d. 1725, Manor Twp., Lancaster County. 1717 immigrant.
2. ?daughter, b. c 1675.
3. Hans Herr, b. c 1677.d, 1756, Lampeter Twp., Lancaster County. 1710 immigrant.
4. Christian Herr, b. c 1680. d. 1749, Lampeter Twp., Lancaster County. 1710 immigrant.
5. Isaac Herr, b. c 1682. d. 1747, Martic Twp., Lancaster County. 1719 immigrant.
6. ?daughter, b. c 1685.
7. Emmanuel Herr, b. 1689. d. 1740, Wheatland Hills, Lancaster County. 1717 immigrant.

Hans' older brother Christian was also exiled from Switzerland in 1671. Here is his family;

Christian Herr, b. 1641. He married Margaret Loetscher (b. 1643) daughter of Anabaptist Hans Loetscher of Latterbach. They were both Mennonites and lived at Mauer, Baden in 1685.
1. ?daughter, b. c 1672.
2. Christian Heer, b. c 1675. He was a Mennonite living at Duehren, Baden, Germany in 1715 and 1731.
3. ?daughter,b . c 1678.
4. ?daughter, b. c 1680.
5. Hans Heer, b. c 1682. He was a Mennonite living at Mauer, Baden, Germany in 1710.

Richard W Davis, Springville, Utah, researched these famlies. He stated: 'These books are an attempt to establish a link between the known Anabaptist families in Switzerland and Germany in the 1600's and 1700's and the Anabaptist families who arrived in Pennsylvania between 1709 and 1776.'
"Between October 16, 1671 and December 14, 1671, 643 Mennonite refugees had arrived in the Pfalz, mostly from the Emmenthal Valley. There were 100 refugees who had recently arrived in Alsace and who would be coming to the Pfalz in the spring. This made a total of 743 people, probably the largest group of Mennonite refugees to be driven from Switzerland at one time. Throughout the history of the Anabaptists, they traveled together whenever they moved to a new area."

Richard Warren Davis, Emigrants, Refugees and Prisoners, 1997, V-1, P-39 and P-369 & 370

Private User
2/12/2015 at 8:19 PM
Private User
9/21/2017 at 4:29 PM

The wives of Hans and his older brother Christian are sisters...Elsbeth Loetscher and her older sister Margaret Loetscher?

Private User
9/21/2017 at 4:31 PM

Elizabeth Mylin Herr is still connected as his Wife...

Private User
9/21/2017 at 4:43 PM
Private User
9/21/2017 at 4:44 PM
Private User
9/21/2017 at 4:45 PM
Private User
9/21/2017 at 4:46 PM
9/21/2017 at 4:46 PM

Yes, because the controversy remains. Elizabeth Kendig is considered his wife by major sources in Lancaster County; such as, the Hans Herr House.

Private User
9/21/2017 at 7:14 PM

And Anne Bauman is really Elizabeth Anne Baumann (born Herr), 1680 - 1735? Yes, she might be..."Wendel married Ann Herr (1680-1735) in 1709 in Strasburg, Chester, Pennsylvania, USA. Ann was the daughter of Hans H Herr (1639-1725) and Elizabeth Mylin Kendig Herr (1639-1730)."

Wendel's wife was Hans Herr's daughter?

Private User
9/22/2017 at 6:13 AM

Yes because Anne Bauman (not her correct name) and Margaretha Sieber Weber are SISTERS. Anne's daughter Anna Cecelia Weber married Maria's son Reverend Johann Jacob Herr Weber.
And then there's this.
"Jacob, a farmer and Mennonite Preacher, was the son of Johann Anton Weber and Maria Margarethe (Herr) Weber of Switzerland. He came to America with his parents in 1710. In 1717 they moved to Weaverland, Lancaster Co., PA. He married Anna Bauman in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania and they had 5 boys and 4 girls named: Samuel, John Jacob, Mary, Anna, Elizabeth, Henry, George and Barbara. His wife was also his cousin as his mother in-law was his mother's sister. At birth all of Jacob's brothers and sisters took their father's last name of Weber. But all of Jacob's children were given the name "Weaver". It is unknown if Jacob actually changed his own name during his life time."

So I think we're on to something here, Cousin Jim. A first cousin marriage would certainly be controversial...its existence alone would be reason enough to hide it.

Private User
9/22/2017 at 11:06 AM

And so the sisters Anne and Maria are daughters of The Bishop Hans Herr and NN Herr. Do they have different mothers, or are they full sisters? Essentially the Controversy is that two of The Bishops grandchildren, Anna and Jacob, married each other. Whether or not they were full first cousins or what would it be...half first cousins remains to be discovered I guess.

9/23/2017 at 5:15 PM

I just wanted to put my two cents in since this is a distant relative. In the book of Rev. Hans Herr and his Genealogical record Web address below. It does show that Rev. Hans Herr was married to or had a family with Elizabeth Kendig and that there were married in 1660. She was the daughter of John Kendig and Jane Mylin. I'm not a professional, just like to do research and was able to find this. You might/probably already have but here it is anyway.

https://archive.org/stream/cu31924029842204#page/n29/mode/2up/searc...

9/23/2017 at 7:48 PM

Debbie: If you haven't looked at it yet, you may want to check out the Description of the "primary" project containing this discussion thread; it is the first one listed (in italics) under the "Related Projects" in the column to left of this "discussion text".

9/23/2017 at 8:52 PM

Thank you, will do. Hans Herr is my 9th grandfather through my Baer (Barr, Bear, etc) line. (My dad's mom's side of the family).

Private User
9/23/2017 at 9:18 PM

Hans Haas Herr the Bishop wasn't born in 1651, though...right? Wasn't he born in 1639?
So who are the Hans and Christian above?

9/24/2017 at 8:27 AM

Cousin Ben. I see you are ready to restart the research and discussions on the upper part of the tree. If you are waiting for me to get involved, I respectfully ask for more time. In Fall 2014, you inspired me to start a personal project to systematically examine Theodore Herr's book and place the information on Geni. I have now placed or found 13000 of the descendants and their families on Geni. They each have a personalized placard that was designed by a dedicated Geni user that I respect.
I have learned a lot about researching the Herr family over the past three years. Last week alone, I solved two major issues in the book. My research has slowed because the problems traverse the tree. I often find myself back at the top as I fit the puzzle pieces together. (as well as integrating new Geni users into the tree). I personally need 2 to 3 months more to finish the work (about 200 more descendants).
My three goals in 2018 are:
1) re-examine the top of the tree and see what new information has been found.
2) re-visit key profiles for consistency, accuracy, and documentation
3) continue to extend the Hans Herr tree
Although you and others are welcome to work on your own time table, I will have limited participation in discussions. I'd rather see all the pieces of the puzzle on our table before I revisit our work from the past.
Your questions:
Bishop Hans Herr was born in 1639 and that is what is on his profile. You placed Hans Herr, husband of Elsbeth Lötscher on the tree in 2015 and asked me to co-manage. It keeps the profile near by and coincides with an alternate theory that the Hans Herr that she married was not Bishop Hans Herr and her husband was born in 1751. Christian is Hans Herr's documented brother. Congratulations for your recent finds about Anna K.

Finally, my intention is not to discourage anyone from researching the controversies now. All information, we find should be listed and examined. The discussions help get all the facts and theories into an open forum.
Jim

9/24/2017 at 3:56 PM

Anna Kendig Bauman , Here is the alternate profile for Anne Bauman

Private User
9/26/2017 at 3:37 PM

Cousin Jim,
I am happy just doing what I'm doing, swinging through the tree making notes on what I see, and the interest in the Herr tree was reignited by my wanderings through those (my) branches. ; ) I see that you are busy doing several other things at once, and am happy to wait until this work comes around on your 2018 schedule to continue it with you.
Thank You for your kind correspondence and the congratulations.
And Thank You for all the work you do. The Herr findings and entries are simply just amazing.
ben

Private User
10/3/2017 at 3:19 PM

Just leaving myself a note.

Isaac and Catharina are supposedly 2nd cousins, sharing a grandparent, but the tree shows that Heinrich Herr Weber is the great grandfather of Isaac Wenger Weber and George Herr Weaver
is the great grandfather of Catharina Zimmerman Weaver. The Tree shows that the Father of both Isaac and Catharina's 1st Great Grandparents was Hans "Johann Anton" Weber who married a Herr, which is the roundabout tie in.

So either The Tree is Goofy or they were 3rd Cousins, not 2nd Cousins.

Private User
10/3/2017 at 3:28 PM
Private User
10/3/2017 at 7:06 PM

"It was mentioned in this letter that Hans and his wife were able to support themselves by their linen weaving. At that time, Mennonite linen had become recognized as some of the finest in the world, mostly due to the industrious nature of the Mennonites."

Sounds like his wife was a weaver...get it? So...

Showing all 24 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion