Canute the Great DNA

Started by Justin Durand on Tuesday, February 10, 2015
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 151-180 of 267 posts

Ulf, here is my immediate connection to Harald Haarfagre: Harald I Halvdansson «Fairhair» Hårfagre is Sten Waldö's 31st great grandfather ...

So my instant path seem to be located right in the middle of your upper and lower limit paths :)

Ulf, here is my immediate connection to Harald Haarfagre: Harald I Halvdansson «Fairhair» Hårfagre is Sten Waldö's 31st great grandfather ...

So my instant path seem to be located right in the middle of your upper and lower limit paths :)

Now, actually his son just popped up as my 29th great granny, not too much off, right?

Ulf, I was wrong, his son did indeed come up correctly as my 30th great granny!
Dear Sten,
Olav Haraldsson «Geirstad» Digerbein is your 30th great grandfather.
View the full relationship path:
http://www.geni.com/c/0bd24da314c8a039f37b9fdcdfe7c098c8ba2a8d

View all of your recent relationship paths:
http://www.geni.com/c/0bd24da314c8a039f37b9fdcdfe7c098c8ba2a8d?u=%2...

Well, things may change as anyone apparently can merge any profile together at any time, or delete parents, children etc, sometimes it seems like a hunt, often done by persons who really lack every bit of relationship to these profiles. first of all, they do not understand how power work, many of them REALLY believe that ANYONE could become ANYTHING under the middle age or before that, or after that , tell me, is it true? You can't apply the rules of modern societies backward in time.

Back in time it were just like an caste society all over Europe, and if anyone have the slightest idea of what that mean, they wouldn't so easily dismiss some of the relationship, but they really act as they don't know anything. Some of the changes made by an aspiring self declared professor in history may stand without further action, or be done without any discussion about it. Other stuff, crazy unbelievable or impossible profiles are left just as they are, and that sometimes bother me.

Example, made just like "Find five errors"

Tostig Godwinsson, born cirka 1025
In 1051, he married Judith born 1033,
they had a son Sveinke-Steinarsson born 1040

When or if anyone find any source for this Sveinke Steinarsson, fra Ranrike
let me know, I'm just curious...

Sedan behöver jag lite hjälp, var i h-vete i Sverige ligger Scotland?

Begravningsort: Askaby Kloster
Född: 1249
Topa, Östergötland, Sverige
Död: 1299 (50)
Ringshult, Torpa, Ostergotland, Scotland

Nils Sigridsson

Hi everybody! King Canute / Cnut is my 1st cousin 27 times removed. So, I'm a cousin of our Nordic friends here on Geni! :-)

Hi cousin, I saw that you were related to me as well. King Canute, or Knud, Knut, Knot or Knoop as it would be in your? language are related to us all as it seems, wonder what "he" would have liked it if he had known how far his genes would go?

And Sweyn II Estridson, King of Denmark is my 28th great grandfather. The relationship path is via my mother's lineage, whereas the relationship path to King Cnut is via my father's lineage. Does this make me 'double Nordic'? :-)

Hi Ulf! Thanks for your message! Yes, I'm an Afrikaner, from South Africa. We have the Afrikaans surname Knoetze, which means 'Knut's son'. I guess that my ancestors in the distant past were also Norsemen - maybe that's why I look a bit 'Nordic'? :-) My ancestors 300 years ago were Dutch, French and German, plus a bit of Danish, Khoikhoi, Indian and Malay. It seems that some of my French ancestors (from Normandy?) had Nordic ancestors, and that's where my Nordic connections come from.

Well, it's make you Germanic, and as that we all trace our language back to India, but that's another story.

Svenska Tyska Engelska Iriska Latin Grekiska Sanskrit Persiska
Fader Vater Father Athair Pater Patér Pitár Pedar
Moder Mutter Mother Máthair Mater Meter Matar Madar
Syster Schwester Sister Siúr Soror Éor Svásar Khahar
Broder Bruder Brother Bráthair Frater Phrater Bhratar Beradar
Namn Name Name Ainm Nomen Ónoma Naman Nam

Yes, Ulf - the Scandinavians were northern Germans. The Afrikaans words for father, mother, sister, brother, and name are: vader, moeder, suster, broer / broeder, naam. Our language was derived from 17th century Netherlands, and is the 'newest' Germanic language.

As far as I remember about the big days of migrations they did indeed come from the south,and east, as in what is today Germany. The people that came to the as least danish area was mixed with the population allready present. That was not very many since mot of Denmark at that time was covered in Forest as was a lot of todays Germany back then.
So the language. The Gods and some of the tradition was very simular for the whole of this area.
I believe what enden up setting them apart was the the diffrence and amount of influence that these cultures was exposed to.

Scandinavia and the wendish cultures was those who keept there unik cultural differences from the rest of Europe that have become Christian.
That meens that their cultureral background moved away from that of the southern Germanic people!

Well, Dutch iin it's origin is a West German dialect. Talking about the Indian roots of our (Indo-European) languages, Rasmus Rask, the Danish language genius, actually wrote the first Sanskrit language tutorial (sprog laere). Not bad for a Dane, right? LIke the other Danish geniuses he is buride at the Assistens cemetery in Copenhagen. LIke Ole Römer, Lauritz Melchior, Sören Kierkegaard. Did I forget any?

If we go far back enough we all came from Africa, so it really does'nt matter much. Other than the spice to the whole thing.

If we go back far enough, nowadays people really do believe that a pair in the age above 80+ had a daughter....
Margrethe Vognsdatter Galen

There is something sick about it.

All this mismerges, just acting blindfolded, or what?

Does this really happen?

"From blue-collar to blue-blooded! Mechanic discovers he is heir to the throne of the Isle of Man after researching his ancestry online - and travels 3,000 miles to claim his title David Drew Howe"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3186977/Mechanic-discover...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_I_Stanley_of_the_Isle_of_Man

Very interesting Ulf but based on the usual 5000 descendants of a person how did David Drew Howe claim the title over other possible descendants?

I did find Stanley I etc, ( he was a cousin on both his parents line to me), but if we could find David Howe, we maybe could find out how it's possible?

I couldn't find a family tree for him on Geni or anyplace else online although a few Stanley's were mentioned as alternates here and there.

Ulf I seriously think that a lot of the dates on Geni is completely of. Sometimes people cant even agree on what century a person was from.

Especially these old profiles. Therefor I often prefere and estimated timeframe and not any year or dates, unless I can confirm that date in the old sources.

And really did he really wanted to claim the throne? Thats a bit funny, or tradic! what ever you choose.

But some people rally get high on their noble blood!

The Stanley heirs sold their lordship over the Isle of Man to the British government in 1765.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_of_Mann

The guy must have been very dissapointed when he arrived at the Isle of Man!

I wonder. This same story breaks every few years.

Someone does the research. Tracks down the heir. Reporters show up for interviews and the family is (once again) amazed to hear about their royal ancestry. And newspapers around the world run the story as though it's something new.

Same thing happens with the guy in Australia who is the Plantagenet heir.

Same thing happens with the girl who does a school project showing that all the US President (except one) have royal ancestry, except that's a new schoolgirl every few years.

Maybee its like a good ghoststory. It wanders around and then it pops up with a new spin.

That people are surprised does not surprise me. I am amazed sometime of how little people know about history.

Sometimes its like they think they got dropt of on the planet from the moon out of the blue, with no connection to anything.
Then someone tells them that there family goes way back. Well everybody has a family that goes way back, and some is likely to strike a known figure in history,

There is still a loop in this profile Anette, she exist in two places and I can't solve it. http://www.geni.com/family-tree/index/6000000035490284721#600000003...

Hi, Anette Guldager Boye - my 23rd cousin once removed! :-) I have a direct Danish ancestor, Peder Havgard, called Pieter van Meerhoff at the Cape of Good Hope. He married Eva Krotoa, a Hottentot woman, who was the interpreter for the Dutch people. She lived in the first governor's house between about 1654 and 1662, and learned to speak Dutch. Eva Krotoa and Peder Havgard are among about 70 of my g-grandparents in my pedigree chart (family tree) from about 1660 to about 1700 that I know of.

Ulf jeg håber den er rettet nu. Jeg kan se der er en der syntes der skulle flettes ind og lavet om efter at jeg og du har været der siden. Det skabte rod.

Correction, Anette - I should have typed '23rd cousin twice removed'.

Showing 151-180 of 267 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion