Canute the Great DNA

Started by Justin Durand on Tuesday, February 10, 2015
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 31-60 of 267 posts

Every time has its own burden to bear, rules, morality may be shifting, but there are both positive and negative aspects that are hard to compare, or even understand from each point of view. How would a Viking look at our modern warfare? He would maybe see us as the worst most frightened sort ever, people who kill others in thousands just because some leader they don't even have meet tell them to do so. Leaders who don't say, come follow me, instead just go there!

It doesn't take much for any human being to fall back in anarchy, cannibalism, rape and murder, but I think regardless of how the masses react or behave, it's the one that keep their mind in control that are the survivors in the long run. In Sweden we have almost nothing left of aggressive behavior towards each other, it have been washed out. ; )

:-)

Getting back on the subject, they have a chest full of mixed up bone who could belong to any of the following people. King Cynegils, who ruled from 611 to 643 as well as
King Cenwalh
King Egbert
King Ethelwulf
King Eadred
King Eadwig
King Canute
Queen Emma of Normandy

How many of you are related to any of the above and are they all related to each other in some way?

It's sad they disrespected the great Monarchs and it could be harder to figure out who is who plus the ever present risk of dna contamination from people who abused the bones as well as those who cleaned up the mess. How will they rule all that out?

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2608530/Experts-carr...

I have lost track, people merges or deletes profiles in such a rush that I'm not sure of anything any longer.

But this was sort of fun, Emma Ælfgifu of Normandy, Queen consort of Denmark, Norway and England is my second cousin 27 times removed.

She was married to Cnut the Great, king of Denmark, England, Norway who was my 25th great uncle, and Æthelred "the Unready", King of the English, my 31st great grandfather.

Emma Ælfgifu of Normandy
Cnut the Great, king of Denmark, England, Norway
Æthelred "the Unready", King of the English

Cnut the Great, king of Denmark, England, Norway is 25th great uncle.

His sister, Estrid Margaret Svensdottir Svensdotter, Princess of Denmark is my 24th great grandmother. His half sister Hólmfríðr Eriksdotter, Prinsesse av Sveariket grandmother to Sorkvir Kol Ynglingätten who is my 24th great grandfather. Pjuh...

lol Ulf, You and I share many Ancestor's. We must be cousin's multiple times in multiple ways.
Whatever bone they pick, all the people in the chest are my relatives in some way.

Cenwahl King of Wessex: 35th Grandmother's Husband.
Cynegils, 35th Grandmother's Husband's Father
Egbert King of Wessex; 31st Grandfather
Aethelwulf, King of Wesex 30th Grandfather
Eadred King of the English 1st Cousin 29x removed
Eadwig Wessex b. 991 (no descendants) 28th Great Uncle
Cnut the Great 30th Grandfather
Queen Emma of Normandy (Cnut's Wife) 1st Cousin 26x removed

Yes, we are probably that, no matter what how many ancestor that disappears it still seems that the threads to many of this profiles runs thru anyway somehow. When it comes to the opinion that Scandinavians were pagans ruling kingdoms under the pre-vikings time, 400-700, I must say that that are just half true. They often did believe in multiple gods and had no bigger problems with that, in fact I remember a cross with writings on, that were from the time around A.D 150, that was found in Norway, so even then they had contact with probably not only merchandises, but also other believes as Christianity.

A year ago they found a cross from the A.D 600, at an excavation, ? or what ever it's called, in Uppsala, it's not proof of anything, but the cross are probably from Byzantine 150 years before this one, Constantine V, Eastern Roman Emperor,
( I just grab some random emperor from that area).
Picture of the jewelery http://z.cdn-expressen.se/images/d0/27/d0276484722040b29509e3841236...

Geni is good in many ways. But I don't put anything more at Geni. I am creating my own website. It is so many changes been done. Information about these royal people or noble people are easy to find at Wikipedia. My wife is one of those that goes back to the English royal house. It is more interesting to find information about "normal" people in USA or Europe.

Terge....everyone is normal ;)...mostly.

Terje Berger is my 18th cousin once removed, but for how long?
Hopefully people mostly correct mistakes, but sometimes, they really make them. I spend a couple of hour yesterday and today sorting some of the lines up, maybe someone will get disappointed over that the person they thought of as their ancestor now just are an uncle, but it affected 4 generations with multiple errors along the path, that had to be corrected.

Someones trees are now enlarged and no ones have been shortened. I think that people in the end will be happy with that, but it's maybe only a question of time, before someone believes that just his or hers smart match are right, and puts up the error again. :(

The MP program should help Ulf, don't hesitate to ask for them. I (try) to confine myself to English / Scots / colonial America if you have any that need to be made Master Profiles, or use the "curators please assist" discussion. The kind of clean up you're doing is so greatly appreciated by all of us.

Terje - I agree, much more interesting to dig in and find the hidden details about our more ordinary / extra ordinary ancestors! We hope to map everyone that ever lived into Geni one day, connected to each other. 94 million so far:

https://www.geni.com/worldfamilytree

That is true Ulf, it is tricky doing merges because you can't always see those little errors someone has made along the way, usually the one's in the middle someplace. I found that if one mistake is made along the way that it messes u p how you are related to a person. For example one person is Grandfather #26 and his Father should be Grandfather #27 but someone put him down in one of the merges as a half brother instead of a sibling for example so when you click on #27 he is not the Grandpa he is supposed to be but a cousin instead even though you know it's not right. I found this out the other day when I started Merging an old Kitchel line that goes back to 1535. This should be a direct line but it shows up as a cousin instead. http://www.geni.com/path/Wanda+is+related+to+Edward-Kitchell?from=6...
I am finding you can not merge with MP and if there is even one detail off that the dupes won't show up if a date is wrong or if someone decided to call someone Mr. or Mrs. which also blocks a merge. You have to fix all the details first before you can merge. If you have 21 correct grandparents but have one wrong detail on a 22nd Grandparent it can turn them into a cousin.

"I am finding you can not merge with MP ..."

Wanda I'd love to know examples of that, because it's wrong: MPs are specifically set up to be the profile to merge "into.". Some royalty lines are locked (you shouldn't have to replicate existing profiles anyway) but even for locked profiles you can request a merge by stacking it, and (eventually) curators will merge them in.

For my MPs I try & field lock the known, sourced data elements. This way if a duplicate is slightly off, data will automatically resolve to the MP values. For MPs / any other profile, it is most helpful to prevent "error creep" by

- completing merges entirely; check for tree conflicts by running the yellow conflict wizard

- resolving data conflicts furthest to the left (main or MP values) as you go along

The relationship problem you describe sounds like unresolved tree conflicts. You can check for them "nearby" from profile view, actions menu, view nearby merge issues. They also appear in the manager's merge centers.

Æthelred "the Unready", King of the English is your 25th great grandfather.
Cnut the Great, king of Denmark, England, Norway is your 30th great grandfather Sweyn II Estridsen Ulfsen of Denmark is your 26th great grandfather.
Ake Pik is your 12th great uncle's fifth great grandfather.
Emma Ælfgifu of Normandy, Queen consort of Denmark, Norway and England is your 30th great grandfather's 1st wife.

Hi Erica the profile I could not merge with was Lt. Samuel Kitchell

with
Abraham's Father Samuel Sheafe Kitchell.
http://www.geni.com/path/Wanda+is+related+to+Abraham-Kitchell?from=...

All is well until I go from Abraham to Samuel then the Grandfather relationship disapears. There are also two Grace Kitchell Piersons. Maybe that is affecting it also.

Thank you for your help Erica. You are much more expert at this than I and I appreciate the tips. :)

Yes, there are outstanding / incomplete merges in this area. I'm going ahead to try & get them done. This shows in the path issue, and everyone helping out by completing merges make the Geni tree more accurate. It's on all of us to maintain.

After merging the server cache will need refreshing. Geni does this automatically every few days, pro's will see the last date of refresh by hovering mouse, and curators can expedite the refresh if need be.

Thank you Erica for taking the time to do that. You and all the Curator's efforts are very much appreciated. We could not do this without you. :)

I think I got it fixed

http://www.geni.com/path/Wanda+is+related+to+Abraham-Kitchell?from=...

Abraham Kitchell is Wanda Marie Pierce's 7th great grandfather!

Please go through the line from Abraham down to ensure there are no outstanding data & tree conflicts.

Hi Erica, I think you did a fabulous job. :)Thank you so much for your help. :)

Everything looks great up to Samuel Kitchel then the switch happens. Maybe it's why I couldn't merge at Sam. When I get to Samuel Kitchel my Father's side grabs the line and Judge Joseph shows up as a cousin through my Father and a 6th Grandfather through my Mother. Not sure if anything can be done about those strange occurrences. I wonder if that is why people get Grandparent's turned in to Cousins or more distantly related people instead of direct lines.

Overall I'm happy either way, especially since I finally have a nice long line on my Mother's side. The Kitchell's had lots of kids every generation and didn't male out or die out so they make a nice line long line for a lot of people. I looked up the surname origin and it says that it originates

from Nordic Vikings. http://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/Ketchell

The oldest story I could find about a Ketil Viking is a person named Ketil Flatnose and it tells of an Icelandic Orkney saga which is kind of interesting. It was a common name back then in Norway for that area.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketill_Flatnose

Lastly, Geni already has a profile for Ketil Flatnose but I don't think Edward Kitchell in England will ever connect to that one.

Ketill Flatnose is a 36th Grandparent I found by accident while researching the surname. http://www.geni.com/path/Wanda+is+related+to+Ketill-Bjarnarson?from...

If Edward Ketill in England is his descendant then this line is much longer and more spread out than imagined. Geni is like checkers. Your never know when the same Ancestors are going to pop up in your tree again. :)

Thanks again for all your help.:) You are FIVE STARS :)

http://www.geni.com/path/Ulf-Martinsson+is+related+to+Ketill-Bjarna...

I also had this as my gf.
And yes, his name has the same original meaning as...but not the modern variants ; ) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kettle

Yes, Ketil (or Kjetil as the most common current form) is still a common name in Norway.
Of course, the Vikings didn't go in for family surnames (patronymics or nicknames were the most common, with the occasional matronymic thrown in for variety), so the name is not likely to be helpful in finding out exactly which Nordic viking the surname originates from.

That is good information Harald, thank you ;)
The Ketil's /Kitchel's must be the Norwegian version of Smith and Jones for it looks like there are a lot of them. It says here that this one Man, Judge Joseph Ketil has over 5,000 descendants since 1989. With these Men having such large families there must be a million worldwide.
Conclusion

As of August 1989 there are 5,455 known descendants of Joseph Kitchel; 2,641 descendants of John, who had thirteen [I count sixteen] children by three wives; and only 205 descendants of David. David was just 30 years old at the time of his death. Part of the imbalance in the total number of known descendants in each branch may be attributed to the fact that most Kitchell family historians have been descendants of Joseph.

Source: Kitchell Family History by Deloris Kitchel Clem and Dwain L. Kitchel, published 1989, The Gregath Company, Cullman, Alabama

Harald Tvei Alvestrand you are my 24th Cousin. Our Common ancestor is Mieszko III the Old
This is very interesting because I am finding more Norwegian Cousins on Geni lately and so far nearly all of them are Cousins through this same person.
It's very nice to meet you Cousin in Norway ;) This is what I like about Geni the best, that you can find new family no matter how distant in just a second. I am learning a lot from newly found cousins. :)

Ha, I have a family knight, because no one else than my siblings are following him, yet...

http://www.geni.com/path/Ulf-Martinsson+is+related+to+Johannes-Sj%C...

And just a few click back in history, Gorm, 428 followers..

http://www.geni.com/path/Ulf-Martinsson+is+related+to+Gorm-den-Gaml...

Fascinating Ulf :) I had never heard of either Johannes or Gorm. Looks like Gorm is my 31st Grandfather and follows an identical path as Arthur Wilkings once we get to Vioalnate de Hungaria to Gorm. Your path Ulf is completely different to Gorm and all of your ancestral names appear to be strictly Swedish and Danish mostly?

Showing 31-60 of 267 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion