Sir William Howard, Justice of Common Pleas - Who was the mother of his children - Alice Ufford or Alice Fitton?

Started by Erica Howton on Tuesday, February 10, 2015
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing 31-60 of 67 posts

Ah! I see - it should be Isabel de Despencer as mother of Margaret.

Wiikipedia says the Fittons were in Gawsworth, Cheshire, ENG from the 12th century. That's where the Edward
Fitton/Mary Harbottle (1500's) were from. But, Alice was buried in Norfolk...223.8 miles from Chester. So, was Fitton Manor in Gawshawk? Richard has a reference on a profile that Alice & her mother had property elsewhere, so it sounded like they moved within Alice's lifetime.
However, when I googled Fitton Manor, Gawshawk Hall came up...website says it was built in 1480 & that there had been an earlier home on the site. If you backtrack the Edward Fitton mentioned there, you end up with the Bolyn Fittons. (You should read about Mary Fitton "the Dark Lady").
Haven't found an earlier Edward in either the Bolyn or Fitton lines, as yet.

There was "an entirely different" Fitton family in Norfolk! That's exactly what's tripped everyone up. Go back to Richard Chapman's post, and I'll also send a link to VCH County Histories for a description of "that" Fitton Manor.

To make it worse, there were approximately same age Edmund Fitton's with approx same age sons & heirs John. :(

The Norfolk Fitton's however seem to have early died out; Alice (Fitton) Howard was heir to her brother John, as seen by property (the 1310 complaint about her windmill in the village of Tibye, Norfolk, as example).

I haven't yet plotted distance to the Howard base at East Lynch, but we are, at least, in the same county.

The Fitton's of Gawsworth, Cheshire are decently done in Geni; I just took a cruise down that tree. Edmund in "every" generation.

Here we go ...

Francis Blomefield, 'Freebridge Hundred: St. German's Wigenhale', in An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 9 (London, 1808), pp. 186-195 http://www.british-history.ac.uk/topographical-hist-norfolk/vol9/pp... [accessed 13 February 2015].

Fitton's Manor.

The ancient family of Fitton were very early enfeoffed herein. Sir Alan de Fitton or Philton, Elias de Fitton, Adam de Fitton, clerk, and Walter de Phiton, &c. were witnesses to a deed, sans date, of Hugh de Ross, of lands in Tydd St. Mary, in Lincolnshire.

In the 55th of Henry III. Robert de Fytton purchased by fine of William de Hevyngham and Gratiana his wife, and her heirs, 36 acres of land, and 32 pence rent, per ann. in Wigenhale.

About this time lived Sir Edmund de Fitton, lord of this manor of Fitton's, who had a daughter Alice, married to Sir William Howard, and a son, John de Fitton, who was one the justices appointed to take care of the preservation of the lands in Marshland from being overflowed, in the 15th of Edward I.

=====

Bah da bing! That would be our "Dame Alice," graciously accepting victuals from the good citizens of East Wynch in 1306 ...

Alice Fitton

And I believe we also have the mother of Alice Ufford correct now. The mother's pedigree is quite illustrious, and would explain 1) William Howard coming early into money 2) his ability to marry his son into nobility.

Check the pedigree view here:

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=PED&db=jwebe...

James M. Howard, CPP

I think we should re examine whether it is possible Gilla de Terrington was Sir William's 2nd wife of 3

Here's a comment from a medieval genealogist back in 2007:

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igmpostem.cgi?op=show&a...

...Burke's 1953, (which gives the wives as 1. Gilla de Terrington and 2. Alice de Ufford) which Leo implies is the same info in Burke's 1938. This does not explain why John Martin Robinson gives the wives as (1) Alice daughter of Sir Robert Ufford s.p. and (2) Alice daughter of Sir Edward Fitton. In this case, I would go for Burke's, for the Howards were illustrious enough not to have to invent ancestors [Ref: Renia Simmonds 28 Apr 2000 msg to SGM]

Burke's Peerage, 1829 starts the pedigree with WILLIAM HOWARD, Chief Justice of the Common Pleas between 1297 to 1308, had large estates in Wigenhale, Norfolk. Married twice: 1. Alice, dau and heiress of Sir Edward Fitton, knt, by whom he had two sons. 2. Alice, dau of Sir Robert ufford, knt, but had no issue of this marriage. He was s. by his elder son, SIR JOHN HOWARD, knt, one of the gentlement of the bedchamber to King Edward I, d 1331. [Ref: Renia Simmonds 28 Apr 2000 msg to SGM]

Burke's 1829 gives the first wife as Alice dau and heiress of Sir Edward Fitton by whom he had 2 sons and no sons by his second wife.
Burke's 1953 gives the first wife as Gilla dau and co-heir of Sir William de Terrington by whom he had 1 son, his heir, John. This source says he had a son, William, by his second wife. I suspect that the 1953 is an update of the 1829 after further research. [Ref: Renia Simmonds 29 Sep 2002 msg to SGM]

I offer up where I believe many left off:

Subject: Re: the Howards
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 12:31:33 +0800

----- Original Message -----
To: <GEN-MEDIEVAL-L@rootsweb.com>
Sent: Friday, April 28, 2000 3:38 AM
Subject: Re: the Howards

> Leo, the early Howards _are_ tricky

I am starting to see that. Is there anyone better versed in the early
Howards who can explain the following :

In a 1964 edition of GHBA it gives me the following :

Sir William Howard was married
(1) Gilla de Terrington
(2) Alice de Ufford
and son by his first marriage Sir John (who married Joan de Cornwall).

In Burke's POPeerage 1938 page 1857 I found a William as a son by his second
wife Alice de Ufford, makeing the two sons half-brothers.

Cristopher Nash quite rightly queried this. I then went for another source,
"The Dukes of Norfolk" by John Martin Robinson. In a rather skimpy family
tree is given

Sir William Howard married
(1) Alice daughter of Sir Robert Ufford s.p.
(2) Alice daughter of Sir Edward Fitton

one child is displayed by the second wife
Sir John Howard, who married Joan de Cornwall.

I would rather believe John Martin Robinson but where does that leave
William Jr. If he is the son of Alice Ufford he would be the senior son,
which I doubt. Can anyone shine some light?
Many thanks
Leo van de Pas

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/gen-medieval/2000-04/...

Terrington is definitely in the Howard land playground

https://books.google.com/books?id=Q5lCAAAAYAAJ&amp;lpg=PA319&amp;ot...

The History and Antiquities of the County of Norfolk: Freebridge Lynn, Freebridge Marshland, and Gallow (Google eBook) J. Crouse, 1781 - Norfolk (England). Page 319

TERRINGTON. This town though very confiderable in its bounds and lands, is not mentioned in the book of Doomfday, and the reafon is, that there was at that time no independent manor or lordfhip, with its lands here, held of the king; all the lands herein belonged to, and depended on fome neighbouring lordfhips and towns, where they had their fcite, and extended themfelves into this; and were under thofe lordstiips and towns, valued and extended and accounted for.
The fubject and defign of that most valuable record, the book of Doomfday, being to fet forth and afcertain thole lands only which were held in capite, and that in the proper place, where the heads of fuch fees and tenures lay, and immediately appertained and belonged. Ma.iy indeed have maintained, that if a town was not to be found in that book it was not at that time in being; not confidering and reflecting rightly on the true fubject and design of that book: this led Camden, and after him others, to assert Royston, in Hertfordfhire, not to have a being in the time of the Conqueror, the cafe being the lame with that town as with this of Tcrrington.
Bardolph's

Bardolph's Fee. Hermerus de Ferrariis, whe' held a manor in Tilnev and Iflington in the Conqueror's time, was also lord of part of this town, into which the said manor extended: this came after to the lords Bardolphs, and was a member of the honor or barony of Wormecav; part of this was held bv the ancient family of Terrington, who affirmed their name from this town.

Howard's Manor.

William Howard purchased lands here, in Walpole and Tilney, in the 20th of Edward I. of John de Hoyland and Sibill his wife.

(20 Edward l = 1290)

Re reading this

https://books.google.com/books?id=3kouAAAAMAAJ&amp;lpg=PA241&amp;ot...

An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Humble-yard. Depewade. Earsham. Henstede (Google eBook) Francis Blomefield, Charles Parkin W. Miller, 1806 - Norfolk (England). Page 235 -
"The Honorable Family of Howard"

I was struck by this name - if I have it right, it's Alice Ufford's brother in law

"he was sworn chief justice of the King's Bench; was constantly summoned to parliament till 1 Edw. II. in which year he was sent into Scotland with Rob. de Wateville, on the King's affairs; (17) and on the 12th of Dec. 1307, had letters of protection from his Majesty, to answer no suits, and not to plead to any thing till his return; which patent was produced in the first, second, and third years of Edw. II. so that he did not return to settle till after that time.

===

Rob. de Wateville was a knight of the household of Hugh le Despenser (the younger) and Edward ll attended his (2nd) wedding to Margaret Hastings, le Despenser's niece.

Unless I got it wrong, Leo got it right ... And Alice Ufford was the surviving widow, married de Wateville 2nd.

"Again. Folios 236-7. “ The arms of Howard and Cornewall are in Ferfield, Tendering Hall. in the Parish of Stoke Newland, and in the Chapel of Stoke Newland," 11a. Nayland."

From The House of Cornewall By Cecil George Savile Foljambe Earl of Liverpool, Compton Reade. 1908. Page 28

Problem with the RootsWeb vs the Geni material. RootsWeb says the ancestor of Walter de Caen's mother was Gilbert Crispin, Seigneur de Tillieres & Bec; son of Crispin de Bec; son of Grimald, Prince of Monaco.

Geni says Walter's mother's, Helisia, father was Gilbert de Bec and that his father was Ansgoth, Seigneur de Bec Crispin. Further, Pam Wilson notes that there were 4 men of the same name.

Also, you may want to look at the de Peyton line. RootsWeb says Alice's GGF was John (Nigel) de Peyton, husband of Maud, heiress of Stamundeshey.
Geni says "Nigel" de Peyton was married to NN.

Here's another (sorry!) Alice Howard's half brother, Robert, is my GGF also, so Alice is coming up as my great aunt. Do I have to walk up the whole line to re-set it?

Re: the Ufford / Peyton ancestry. The pedigree begins with John de Peyton, who had 2 sons: John de Peyton & Robert de Ufford, Justicar of Ireland. I will go no further back than that; it is unprovable in my opinion. Raise discussions from Walter de Caens profile to raise up whoever wants to work on it & determine the best way for Geni to present.

Re: Alice Howard - do you mean Ufford? Don't walk anything - research her! There are currently TWO candidates for the wife of Howard & neither are proven. I'm going grey haired over it!!!

Thanks for the info Erica. It also looks like I've got quite a few cousins out there.

Always find it difficult to quote more than one source on this page as there is no way of saving a lengthy draft. So if the following is a bit low on sources it's not my fault. However, all the sources mentioned are either on the profiles or have been previously mentioned in this discussion.

I just thought it might be a good idea to clarify a few points that have been under discussion and then sum up. The first points are clear evidence for one of the wives of Simon de Constable being an Alice Fitton. There is clear contemporary evidence for this in the shape of Royal court records concerning respective claims for estates following the death of Simon de Constable.. The three claimants were his son, Robert, Katherine de Wyvlesby and Alice Fitton. It is of note, that the court ruled that Alice was his legitimate wife, not Katherine. The court also stated that Alice had been married to Simon for ten years at the time of his death. The source is currently on our geni profiles for Alice, wife of Simon. The second point is that there is not a jot of evidence for linking the Bollin Fittons of Cheshire to the Fitton family in Wiggenhall/Lynn. Thirdlly, some of the trees on other sites are an absolute disgrace and should only be examined out of curiosity and sympathy. I see profiles showing William Howards ancestors as being Dukes of Norfolk, etc, when there is little evidence to show that any of they actually existed and if they did they would have been little more than minor barons or burgers.

The next point is how did William Howard obtain his estates, etc. There is little doubt that he was a very clever guy and came to influence through his ability as a lawyer. In the process, he made money, and married well and was lucky. There is little doubt that the main landowners in the Wiggenhall/Lynn area in the mid 13th century were the Fittons. The family had grown rich and influential since Alan De Fitton was granted lands by the Bishop of Ely circa 1210. His family had drained marshland and are mentioned in a number of documents, which I have previously referred to. Unfortunately, by the end of the century, their male line dried up with only Edmund de Fitton's on son, John apparently surviving into the 14th century and him without male issue. Edmund would appear to have had two daughters, the first and co-heir, was Alice and the second, who married John Tilney.

It is generally acknowledged that William Howard came by his estates through his marriage to Alice de Fitton. The question arises as to when?
It would appear that William Howard became known as Lord of the manor of Lynn/Wiggenhall in 1285. Given this is the case I would suggest that he could only have become Lord of the Manor through a marriage to Alice around that time. It is also likely that he could not have become "Lord of the Manor"without the death of the previous incumbent Sir Edmund.

There is also no doubt that prior that date that William was well known to the Fittons. Both William and John de Fitton (Alice's brother) are shown as joint witnesses to deeds in 1278 and 1282.

I would also add that if anyone still thinks there are links to the Bollin Fittons of Cheshire, just think about the lands the Howards inherited. None of them are Bollin estates. They are all lands formerly held by the Wiggenhall/Lynn Fittons.

Which gets me round to the main argument. If you all recall, the debate was about who was the mother of William Howard's children. Geni currently shows the mother as being Alice Ufford, whilst most historians and sources say that it was Alice Fitton. The reason why there is doubt is because an Alice Fitton was married to Simon de Constable up to the time of his known death in York Castle in 1294. (Please note, there are numerous contemporary records to prove this date - see Simon de Constable's profile on geni) As such, the argument goes that the Alice married to Simon could not then have married William Howard before that date.

However, as mentioned, William Howard was Lord of Wiggenhall and Lynn by 1285. These were Fitton estates and he could not have become Lord without marriage to Alice De Fitton. Ergo, he must have married her before that date. There can be no doubt about this.

The conclusion that must be drawn is that there were at least two Alice Fittons. The one who married William (dau of Edmund Fitton) and the other Fitton, who we have yet to determine, who married Simon de Constable.

There were certainly at least two other Alice Fittons, who were part of this family. There was an Alice married to Robert de Fitton, who may have been Edmund's brother. There was also a slightly younger Alice who had property with Maud early in the next century.

My contention is that there is clear evidence that William had possession of the Fitton estates by 1285. This could only have come about through his marriage to Alice. Ergo, there is now no reason to suggest that Alice de Fitton should not be restored to her rightful place as mother of the two/three Howard children. It also explains the origins of a substantial part of the Howard estates as marshland originally granted to the de Fittons by the Bishop of Ely, circa 1210.

Hallo happy Howarders!

May I direct your attention please to our "sprig off the Plantagenet vine" - John Howard's wife, Joan of Cornwall. Lady Joan de Cornwall

From this study:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~battle/cornwall.h...

iv.         ?Joan, m. Sir John Howard (see above)

daughter of

2. Sir Richard de Cornwall (Earl Richard): illegitimate son of Richard, Earl of Cornwall & Joan ----

(was she St. Owen or fitz Alan or will we never know ?)

Joan FitzAlan, Lady of Winchester

he was the son of

Richard, Earl of Cornwall: b. 5 Jan 1209 & ? (mistress), who was the second son of John, King of England, and Isabel of Angouleme

===

Many thanks for the insights & added sources ...,

I've been adding notes, comments & documents to Joan & family's profiles; here's an argument for a "different" ancestry:

From [http://genealogy.mallen.org.uk/25461920-RichardDeCornwall.html Richard de Cornwall] circa 1255 - 1296 

>A number of claims have been made for other children of Richard, but with only assertion and/or speculation to back them up. The most commonly asserted one (or two!) is of a daughter Joan, and this is based upon her being the sister of a Richard de Cornwall, rector of Walsoken (as per the IPM of her husband Sir John Howard, which names her as this Richard's sister). Hence the claim for both of these depend solely on Richard the rector being son of this Richard. Whilst this is feasible, and indeed it would seem likely that this Richard, whose father shared his name, should also name a son Richard, I have been unable to find any evidence to connect the two. Richard the rector, was first mentioned in the Patent Rolls of 1292 as being the king's clerk. Assuming him to be "of age" at the time, he would have to have been born no later than 1271, and hence the eldest son. Considering that he was still alive at the time of Edmund, earl of Cornwall's, IPM in 1300 (indeed he appears to have lived until at least 1331), it seems telling that he is not mentioned therein, along with his purported brothers, as holding land which the earl gave to their father. It seems to me that he is more likely to have been the son of this Richard's brother, Walter, and is not mentioned the said IPM, because Walter was still alive, and so still in possession of any land that was under dispute, rather than any of his children.

So - i suppose we need to look further into

Walter de Cornwall

The Cornwall family are worth a Discussion in their own right - and having done a bit of work with them, I can see why they weren't considered for Y-DNA testing re: Richard III. Even if there are male descendants around in the present, probably not a one of them has a clear and solidly documented descent.

Luckily (?) I follow (?) down the Howard line - and Joan "was the sister of Richard," ... And is not mentioned as the sister of Geoffrey or Edmund.

That she was the sister of Richard de Cornwall seems likely:

From the Cotton MSS., Julius C. VII., it appears that there was a Joan De Cornewall, wife of Sir John Howard. and ancestress of the Dukes of Norfolk, e.g., “ Richardus de Cornubia to William Rudham, his attorney in Norfolk—Know ye that I have granted to Sir John Howard and Joan his wife, my sister, that they may inhabit and dwell in the Manors, which I have of the gift of the said John in the County of Norfolk, so long as it please theni."——Undated.

====

Of course I'm also curious about her two other marriages.

But what I'm most interested in is how & when Sir William Howard arranged for this marriage for his son, and how advantageous would it have been (or not).

Scuttlebutt reported in "The House of Cornewall" says that Walter, Lawrence, Isabella, Joan and at least one of the (two?) Richards were all children of Richard, King of the Romans, by Joan de Valletort (i.e. extramarital). https://archive.org/stream/houseofcornewall00live#page/30/mode/2up

Compton Reade didn't have much luck finding out who Joan de Valletort was, though.

There is much detail in the following pages, as Reade tries to sort out who was who and who was whose.

"House of Cornwall" says Joan FitzAlan m. Richard de Cornwall, of Thunnock, while her Geni profile lists no marriages; and, says Richard m. Joan St Owen. Although curator's box says Joan could be either FitzAlan or St Owen.
Will be interesting to see how this comes out!

Reposting for better clarity.

What do we think of the idea that Joan of Cornwall & her brother Richard the rector were actually from Walter de Cornwall?

What money & manors did Joan bring to the Howard family? She brought Plantagenet arms ...

I thought the material you referenced had a daughter, Joan, who died young for Richard Plantagenet?
Right now, I have:
Joan de Cornwall m. Sir John Howard --> dau. of Richard de Cornwall of Thunnock & Joan St Owen (FitzAlan)--> Richard of Thunnock son of Richard Plantagenet.
Margaret m. Sir Hugh Peverell, Kt. --> dau. of Walter m. ? --> Walter son of Richard Plantagenet.
So, at first I thought you wanted to move Joan up a generation to Richard of Thunnock's sister, making her R. Plantagenet's dau., but that Joan doesn't seem to have survived childhood. I understand what you're saying about Walter being alive so children not being mentioned, etc. That would mean that Richard "the Rector" owned the Manors of Norfolk, correct? Which would make sense that he would allow his sister use of his place, if he had a rectory elsewhere. Don't know, at this point, that this would require moving Richard & Joan under Walter, though. Are there records for the Manors?

Walter de Cornwall unfortunately seems obscure.

Here's the logic case.

It seems pretty likely Joan (who married Howard) was the sister & heir of Richard, rector. But there's a problem with Richard, rector as son of Richard of Thannuck -- his age would make him oldest son, but he doesn't get any of Thannuck's property, isn't mentioned in IPM, etc. "there seems no connection."

The logic puzzle solves if Walter is the father of Richard the rector, which makes Joan his daughter also.

Now to prove / disprove it ... It might be easier to eliminate all other possibilities?

Is Joan (wife of Howard) mentioned at all as sister of Richard of Thannuck's known two sons, Geoffrey & Edmund?

This area is even more complicated than I first thought! I have just received a message about
http://www.geni.com/family-tree/index/6000000026965418143#600000000...

Pomerai mother of ? de Tracy;
mother of Richard Champernon1;
Father of Richard Champernon II m: Lady Joan of Cornwall
parents of Richard Champernon III m Elizabeth/Joan de Valetort

I have already had dealings in the Champernon and de Tracy area and it's a similar mess to the de Cornwalls!

There are at least 3 William Tracys that are claimed to have murdered Thomas Becket on their Geni profiles, including the one you linked Terry, & upline to his grandfather. Must have been a bigger crowd there than previously thought! :-P

Is it time to disconnect Gilla de Terrington

Private User any thoughts?

——

Comment from Richard Chapman

I've looked at the tree and the two wives in contention wouid be appear to be Gilla de Terrington and Mrs Hereward.

There doe not appear to be a scrap of evidence for a Mrs Hereward and I have sent a message to the manager of Mrs Hereward's profile askiing her to remove said profile from the tree (apparently it can only be done by the manager). Of interest, there has been speculation, and that is all it is, that the Howard family may have been descended from Hereward the Wake - perhaps some confusion between speculation and historical records?

The next one is Gilla de Terrington (born circa 1255. I couldn't help but notice that the Geni tree has her mother as being another Gilla de Terrington born 1244. If those dates were accurate that would have meant that the older Gilla gave birth to her daughter, aged eleven.

Gilla's profile does appear to give sources for her marriage to William Howard. However, there are aspects of this that worry me. The first is that when I look for a William de Terrington, I can't find any reference to this family in the thirteenth century. There are some de Torringtons in the South West of England..

I also had a look to see if I could find out where Terrington was. It's actually in Yorkshire, and located very close to the present day Castle Howard. British History Online links Terrington with another parish Wigginthorpe, whcih is a name not too dissimilar to Wigginhall, Norfolk, the ancestral home of the Howards.

During the 13th century this area of Yorkshire and other parts of the country was in the hands of the Latimers, including in 1260, Terrington, which was in the hands of a William Latimer. There appears to be no evidence to suggest that this William Latimer every married a Gilla de Terrington.

I also found one link, and just one, suggesting that a William de Terrington married a Gilla de Terrington in the 16th century.

As we all know, it just takes one person to get the wrong end of the stick and that mistake is then repeated in tree after tree. I suspect that this might be the case in regard to Gilla.

——

Showing 31-60 of 67 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion