Sir William Howard, Justice of Common Pleas - Who was the mother of his children - Alice Ufford or Alice Fitton?

Started by Erica Howton on Tuesday, February 10, 2015
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing 1-30 of 67 posts
2/10/2015 at 3:42 PM

The origins of William Howard (d 1308) are not certain, but his descent is. To quote from "The house of Howard" by the late Gerald Brenan and Edward Phillips Statham (1907), page 18:

https://archive.org/stream/houseofhoward01bren#page/18/mode/2up

"in a single generation the Howards stepped from the plough to the Judge's bench; in a single generation they leaped from the ranks of the country gentry to the highest position in the nobility of England."

But there is a choice to be made on how Geni represents this "mother of nobles.".

Please find below comments on the issue, and feedback is appreciated.

2/10/2015 at 3:43 PM

Comments from Richard Chapman

9 February 2015

HOWARDS AND FITTONS

Introduction

Both Richard Chapman and curator, Erica Isabel Howton, have been collaborating on resolving issues at the point where the Howard family merge with that of the Fitton family, ie, with the marriage of William Howard to Alice Fitton.

The Howard family are clearly an important family and it is important that we get this right.

Background

The first major problem we encountered was a complete failure of those compiling the tree to recognise that at this time, circa 1300, there were two quite different de Fitton families. The first family of Bollin in Cheshire and the second of Fitton Manor, near Lynn on the border of Lincolnshire and Norfolk. 

For those with limited geographical knowledge of England, these two locations are on opposite sides of the country. Cheshire is in the West of the Country on the border with Wales, whilst Lynn is in the East on the North Sea Coast. 

It is unfortunate, that at this time, both the Bollin family and the Fitton Manor family had both an Edmund and John de Fitton. As such, researchers had got themselves into a complete muddle quoting sources from both camps on the same profile and worst of all, linking the Alice, who married William Howard, directly to the Bollin family. 

Alice de Fitton was the daughter and co-heir of the Edmund de Fitton, descended from an Alan de Fitton, who had been granted land around Lynn/Wiggenhale by the Bishop of Ely, circa 1210/20. These were substantial estates and were later to form a major part of the future Howard estates. 

Given the considerable amount of original sources concerning the above, the links connecting Alice’s profile to the Bollin family were disconnected with a view to rebuilding her tree showing her much more local descent, ie: Fitton Manor.  So in discussing the second problem all those participating should be aware of these two families and avoid quoting sources from the Bollin family, who have a quite different history, family connections and estates. 

The second problem, and main area of discussion, is that of Alice Fitton herself and, in particular, the fact that geni has Alice Ufford as the mother of William Howard’s children, rather than Alice de Fitton. Please note that Alice Ufford was William’s first wife, whilst Alice Fitton was his second. Almost all sources relating to this family state that Alice Ufford died without issue and that Alice Fitton was the mother of their children. 
The question then arises as to why geni has Alice Ufford as the mother of the Howard children and the answer is quite simple.

The argument goes that Alice was previously married to Simon le Constable (Sir Simon Constable, Knight), who died in York Castle in 1294. At the time of his death, Alice Fitton had been married to Simon for at least ten years. (There is no doubt that this is the case as the whole matter of Simon de Constable’s estates and marriage was brought to a major and famous court case, which includes details of Alice’s relationship to Simon, where it was declared that she was the legitimate wife of Simon, rather than another claimant Kathrine de Wyvelesby) https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=pN-GTGzOngAC&pg=PA93&am...... 

Given that the Howard children were likely to have been born sometime before 1485, the approximate date when she married Simon le Constable, then it would have been impossible for Alice Fitton to be the mother of the Howard children as she could not have married William Howard until after the death of Simon le Constable in 1294. However, the above conclusion is wholly based on the idea that the Alice Fitton, who married Simon de Constable is the same Alice Fitton, who married William Howard. 

I have only included a couple of source documents. However, at this point it is important to show that there was at least one other Alice Fitton, who could have married Simon de Constable and that was an Alice de Fitton, wife of Robert de Fitton. 
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/topographical-hist-norfolk/vol9/pp... 
The above not only gives a brief history of the de Fitton family from Alan de Fitton, but mentions a Robert de Fitton (probably Edmund’s brother) having purchased land in the 55th year of Hen III (1270/1). It later goes on to state that Robert’s wife was named Alice and that prayers were offered to them in a local church.

In the event that Robert may have died prior to 1284, then there is no reason to suppose that this Alice de Fitton might not have been the one who married Simon de Constable. At the time of his marriage to Alice circa 1285, Simon de Constable had already been married? to Katherine de Wyvlesby for ten years and prior to that to a lady called Joan, allegedly poisoned by the same Katherine de Wyvelsby. Would Edmund de Fitton have really married his young daughter to this much older Simon de Constable, who already had an heir Robert, possibly even older than his daughter. Surely, the young up and coming William Howard would have been a much more attractive option, particularly in regard to inheritance of the estates.

Conclusion

So, to sum up, we believe it more than possible that the Alice who married Simon de Constable circa 1284/5 was not the Alice Fitton who married William Howard. Given that this is the case, there is no reason to suppose that the marriage of Alice Fitton to William Howard took place sometime between 1280 and 1285. This would give ample time for her to be the mother of William Howard’s children.

2/10/2015 at 4:08 PM

Correction to above:

For "the Howard children were likely to have been born sometime before 1485 ..."

Read "before 1285" (referring to Sir John Howard & his younger brother William ... Good time to mention that a third son Edmund, cleric, is unproven, so feedback on his representation in the Geni tree also appreciated).

2/10/2015 at 4:55 PM

s this the correct Simon http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=49411817 Simon Constable Find A Grave Memorial# 49411817

2/10/2015 at 6:24 PM

The wife is INcorrect: she was not Katherine Cumberworth. The dates & parents look right but I would not use this page as a source; it's an online tree and doesn't reference the burial data (apparently unknown which makes sense since he died in prison). Sir Simon's profile is well sourced on Geni from good studies, take a look at the source tab.

2/10/2015 at 6:50 PM

cool I did not think so, They have it wrong , that'sd why i ask yiou :-)

2/10/2015 at 7:15 PM

Great work, Richard and Erica! Thank you!

So, I take it we're back to being de Fittons, Erica, and that William Howard had only one wife??

Private User
2/10/2015 at 7:17 PM

"Sir William Howard,Justice of Common Pleas i have his wife as Alice Fitton b 1239-1287 their children are listed as Sir John Howard Sheriff b 1276,Edmund Howard B 1247-1287,Sir William Howard b 1278

2/11/2015 at 9:00 AM

It's not that easy, Linda.

We "can't" take it back to Alice Fitton as the mother "unless" we find "a different" Alice Fitton to have been the wife of Sir Simon Constable between 1384-1394.

Go find me Alice's!

I just realized she could have been of the Bollin Fitton's & nothing to do with Wigenhale Fitton, in fact that makes more sense as close by Burton Constable.

But we need to find her, otherwise the ODNB article in 2005 is "best known at this time ..."

2/11/2015 at 9:01 AM

Linda - there were (at least) 2 wives for Howard, Ufford & Fitton. Some sources have a 1st also.

2/11/2015 at 7:26 PM

I am considering splitting Alice Fitton in two (again). I am feeling that the widow of Sir Simon Constable was a different person from the widow of Sir William Howard. The geography is just too different: Yorkshire is not Norfolk.

I also think we should be looking for a widow Alice Fitton in the Fitton of Bollin family over here: Sir Edmund Fitton, of Bolyn

It seems he did not have a daughter Alice. But he had a cousin Richard Fitton for instance. ....

2/11/2015 at 8:39 PM

I've been working on the Howard Family Tree off and on for 30 years and I know how easy it is to get bad info. It was many years ago that I located the Sir William Howard family of Wiggenhall, Norfolk. I have no wife by the name of Alice listed. Instead I have a Gilla Terrington daughter of Sir William Terrington. Has anyone heard of her?

2/12/2015 at 11:04 AM

WikiTree lists Gilla Terrington, dau. Of Sir William Terrington, as the 2nd wife of Sir William Howard. No issue.

Alice Fitton, dau. Of Sir Edward Fitton & Mary Harbottle, is listed as Sir William Howard's 1st wife. Two sons: John Howard & William Hayward.

2/12/2015 at 11:16 AM

James & Linda -

Apparently this first ? Wife of William Howard (Gilla Terrington) is a coming & going assignment in different editions of Burke's. Finding the exact references (there should be on line google books or archive stream books) would be helpful so we can examine.

I "have" seen Terrington lands in Sir William's holdings: the best source for tracking land transfers is the amazing site British History Online. So trying for William Terrington might come up with some gold.

2/12/2015 at 11:21 AM

Re: Alice, daughter of EDWARD Fitton. I am thinking this is the wife of Sir Simon Constable.

That the Alice Fitton who married Sir William Howard was the daughter of EDMUND Fitton (and heiress of her brother John), and survived Sir William (so therefore, 2nd, 3rd and certainly last wife) is proven, in my mind, by a wonderful record; I'll bring it up in the next message.

2/12/2015 at 11:32 AM

Alice Fitton

About this time lived Sir Edmund de Fitton, lord of this manor of Fitton's, who had a daughter Alice, married to Sir William Howard, and a son, John de Fitton, who was one the justices appointed to take care of the preservation of the lands in Marshland from being overflowed, in the 15th of Edward I.

Marriage*   2nd=Sir William Howard1,2 
Event-Misc* 27 March 1309  She sued Wm. Randolf3 
Event-Misc 16 July 1310  She complained that men broke her mill at S. Lenne, Norf., and took her corn and goods at Tibbeye, Norf.3 

Citation
3. Rev. C. Moor, Knights of Edward I, v. 2, p. 210.

From John Fitton, of Fitton

* 26 May 1306 with another 1/8 Kt. Fee in Norf., late of Hugh Bardolf1

Citation
1. Rev. C. Moor, Knights of Edward I, v. 2, p. 27.

-------

I am noticing the death date of 1346 for Sir John is not likely & may refer to a "later" Sir John ....

2/12/2015 at 12:13 PM

Here's my proposed third (?) wife of Sir Simon le Constable (d 1294)

Alice Constable

I am unsure of the mother, certainly Mary Harbottle is possible. But I'm going to work on the EDWARD Fitton line first, so if someone else wants to look into that?

2/13/2015 at 8:52 PM

I'm having timeline issues about 1st wife, Alice Ufford

She is "said to have been" a daughter of Sir Robert de Ufford, Justicar

Apparently Sir Robert (who was born as a Peyton, and acquired the surname Ufford from his properties) married twice:

After 1272 to Mary, the widow of William de Say.
After 1287 to Joan, no other details known.

Therefore the soonest daughter Alice could have been born is 1272.

Sir William Howard's son and heir Sir John Howard married Joan de Cornwall about 1308; estimate he was born at least by 1287. If he's the son of Alice Fitton, as most have it, then Alice Ufford was dead by 1287.

At age 15?

2/13/2015 at 11:22 PM

This is all I "really" know about Alice Ufford:

From [https://archive.org/stream/houseofhoward01bren#page/6/mode/1up The house of Howard] by the late Gerald Brenan ... and Edward Phillips Statham ... With 32 full-page illustrations and 2 photogravure plates ...Published 1907 by Hutchinson & co. in London . Written in English. Page 6. "His first wife -- an Ufford, of the house which afterwards became the Earls of Suffolk -- brought him lands and gold, and although she died childless, these material relicts of her love remained in her possession."

2/14/2015 at 9:27 AM

Here is Alice Ufford's posthumous husband (?) (she married after she was dead)

Citation is from the book in German

Genealogisches Handbuch des Adels, Fürstliche Häuser , Reference: 1964

Sir Robert de Wateville, of Orton Waterville

(assuming this is the right Robert Wateville as there were two ...)

A book I'm curious to know if anyone knows what is said about the Wife Issue

http://www.amazon.com/The-Dukes-Norfolk-Quincentennial-History/dp/0...

As Robinson so aptly says in his preface, "...no other English family has had so dramatic a history as the Howards, or seen such vicissitudes of life, such heights and depths of fortune: on the one hand all the principal offices of the State, the favour of sovereigns, power, influence, riches, glory, and on the other murder, treason, attainder, imprisonment, divorce, disgrace, martyrdom and ruin"

2/14/2015 at 9:30 AM

Too many Edward Fittons!
This is from Ancestry.com: Edward Fitton & Mary Harbottle Fitton (1227-1259) buried in St James church.

From Harnage-Lee Family, Family Tree Maker: Mary Harbottle (1507-1556) married Edward Fitton (1500-1547) ca. 1525. Edward was son of John Fitton & Ellen Bereton of Gawsworth, Cheshire Eng.

So, if Alice Fitton was b. 1239, neither of the above work as parents (obviously! ) Just found this interesting!

2/14/2015 at 11:49 AM

It totally is interesting. Time traveling profiles? Or repeating names?

We don't have a birth date for Alice Fitton, we just know she was living in 1310.

Can you look more into the earlier Edward?

2/14/2015 at 11:54 AM

Oops - sorry -- mixed up the Alice Fitton's.

Alice (Fitton) Constable was living in 1294. She is the proposed daughter of Edward Fitton.

Alice (Fitton) Howard was living in 1310. She is the (proven in my mind) daughter of EDMUND Fitton.

No mothers are proposed for either Alice.

2/14/2015 at 11:58 AM

And we have at least two Alice Ufford's as well, just for giggles.

Alice (Ufford) (also seen as Trafford) Howard

Alice Ufford

And we have a first wife of Sir Robert de Wateville, household knight of Hugh le Despenser, died before 1326 when Sir Robert married Margaret Hastings

Alice Wateville

2/14/2015 at 12:04 PM

From https://archive.org/stream/houseofhoward01bren#page/8/mode/1up

(William Howard's mortuary chapel at East Wynch, as described by Weever)

"the arms are those of Howard ... And of the Judge's two wives, Alice Ufford and Alice Fitton."

2/14/2015 at 1:38 PM

Repeating names - there is an Edward de Fitton in virtually every generation, until the title becomes extinct in 1634. And, there are Mary Harbottles still among us (living).
I'm thinking the Wiki Tree entry was incorrect. Will work backwards on Edward.
Interesting, I was just looking at Margaret Hastings/Waterville on another line.

2/14/2015 at 3:39 PM

We can eliminate this one Sir Edward Fitton

200 years too late to be any of our Alice's.

2/14/2015 at 6:02 PM

BTW, Margaret Hastings mother is Margaret Everingham. The About section disagrees with the profile info & lists Margaret's mother as Anne le Despenser. But Anne married William de Ferrers.

2/14/2015 at 6:25 PM

That's a "different" Margaret Hastings! :):)

2/14/2015 at 6:27 PM

http://www.geni.com/documents/view?doc_id=6000000031497362494

(This is also covered in Magna Carta Sureties; I'll try & upload a screen shot)

Showing 1-30 of 67 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion