I am typing this to try and assure myself that those on this board will see my message .

Started by Private User on Friday, January 30, 2015
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 25 posts
Private User
1/30/2015 at 5:59 PM

I typed a message in a different page and I think it can be seen here ,but want to be sure. I am working in a tree that is a splinter from my original tree and it is in my Dad's name ,however it encompasses numerous families that are part of the lineage of my family back to 1625 .I was attempting to add some info in regard to my Mother's family lineage and a new page in her name was triggered instantly . I would like to figure out how to enter the info in regard to my Mom's family lineage on this page and keep it in the same grouping. What triggers these new pages being created ? Also is there some way to work around them? Dale

1/31/2015 at 1:00 AM

Hi Dale

Your message posted fine.

I could be misinterpreting your question. It sounds like you want to edit existing profiles, and instead you're getting into the "add new profiles" screens?

If I got it right, you want to open up the tree to "profile" view. Then you can edit details more easily (and also add family if you need to).

1/31/2015 at 1:16 AM

Hi again Dale

I just read your other message & I think it's about ... You're ready to take off the training wheels (the big yellow arrows). Well done!

What you want is the "add family" module

http://help.geni.com/entries/466614-How-do-I-add-someone-to-my-tree-

"Multiple family members may also be added from the person's profile page. Simply click "Add Family" in the Immediate Family section of the profile."

1/31/2015 at 1:17 AM

Private User

Hope this helps you and if not quite what you're looking for, please post back.

Private User
1/31/2015 at 8:52 AM

Erica ,I appreciate your response and will probably be going into what you spoke of shortly. Hope it works. Thanks Dale

Private User
1/31/2015 at 3:00 PM

Erica ,I am writing in regard to our exchange earlier . I attempted to use the process you described to me ,but was unable to add the names that I wanted to .However there is another issue that I want to relate to you ,and that is that the tree originally started in my name has been splintered into four parts and all the info that I had listed on my page originally reaching back to 1625 thru 1888 has now been transferred to one or more of the other three trees and is no longer on my original tree . I wanted to ask if as a curator you can see the material on my tree and the trees that have splintered from it. Also I would like to know if you can assist me in regaining the original form of my tree.Homer Dale Melder

Private User
2/1/2015 at 8:00 PM

Erica after someone begin changing info on my tree I set the settings as private ,I would appreciate your input in regard to how to correct the issues with my tree. I messaged you at length about the issues but I am in need of information from someone that knows how to navigate the tree and correct issues.. I would greatly appreciate help. H.Dale Melder

Private User
2/1/2015 at 8:09 PM

Erica my email is melderdale @yahoo.com in the event you can find time to work on what Ineed help with .Dale

2/1/2015 at 8:38 PM

Hi Dale

Yes, we have much ways of correcting the world tree than setting to private, which is unfair to "all the other" contributors to the profiles, some since 2007. :(

It's called the Master Profile program and you can read about it here:

2/1/2015 at 8:42 PM

Oops - here's the link for an important curating tool

http://wiki.geni.com/index.php/Master_Profile

Two MP's cannot be merged together; in theory one day every historic profile will have that unique designation, with notes, documented, etc. Meanwhile we're a work in progress & welcome contributions and assistance; as a PRO member you have most of them, it's just getting familiar with it.

Private User I'm going to send a mail to your Geni box, and try and take a look at your tree; I may draft more assistance once I have a better idea of what the genealogy might be.

Private User
2/2/2015 at 9:10 AM

Erica, can you see the sub trees that have split from my original tree if you can then please pay close attention to Charles Homer Melder's tree as it is nearest to what how original tree was composed ,the other tree is that of Petrus van Meldert as it contains many listings that date back to 1625 ,this too was part of my tree originally . .Thank you for your response.
Best regards H.Dale Melder This info was displaced after another individual begin posting on my tree.

2/2/2015 at 9:33 AM

Private User

I've sent you a couple of questions on the West line by Geni mail: check in your notifications

From your "home" page, upper right hand corner,

Notifications
new messages (look here - then reply to my message)
updated projects
new discussions
merge issues

Private User
2/2/2015 at 10:39 AM

William West is one generation back from Miloria West Melder my grandmother. .Parents of Miloria are Atsie E. Bailey West,and Jackson E. West E. is for Edwin I think.

Private User
2/2/2015 at 10:40 AM

how far back can you see on the sub trees that have splintered from my original tree?

Private User
2/2/2015 at 10:48 AM

Leonardus Van Meldert born 1625 in Haacht,, Belgium married Emerentia Fleerackers ,no dates known in regard to her

2/2/2015 at 8:40 PM

Hi Dale,

I was looking at your posts and trying to figure out what you are saying.
I assume you are a new member?

When you are talking about sub trees, I wonder if you are expanding a tree for different profiles which gives you what you might think are different sub trees. They are actually part of the same tree and you are just seeing different parts of the tree for the profile you selected.

I will try to explain what I mean. I did a search for Leonardus Van Meldert and selected your profile. I did this by clicking on "Research" at the top of the page and selecting "Search" from the drop down menu. I then just entered the first name and last name and hit "Search". This showed me three different profiles for a Leonardus Van Meldert in the World Tree.

Looking under the "Managed By" column for the three profiles you can see the profile for Leonardus that you manage, and two other profiles that are managed by someone else. Under the name on your profile it shows that he was born in 1625 and died in 1653.

The other two profiles are managed by another member for a "Leonardus Augustinus Van Meldert" that was born in 1876 and died in 1967.

Click on the name of your profile and then you see his profile.

I will continue this in another message in a couple of minutes. I don't want to accidentally delete what I have already typed.

I hope that what I am telling you is the answer to your questions.

David

2/2/2015 at 9:40 PM

To see his tree you can select "View Tree" to the right of his profile information.
This shows his wife and son, and the son's wife. You also see that no parents have been entered for Leonardus.

Click on the "Tree" in his son Egidius profile box and you will get a different new view that also shows the children of Egidius.

Then you can click on "Tree" in Egidius Jr. box and you will also see his children and another wile.

Each of these views you have selected are all part of the same tree.

I kept selecting a "Tree" for a child in each generation and worked my way down to you. I think that Charles Homer Melder is your father. Here is a link for you to see what I was able to work down to in your tree by expanding the view for each generation.

http://www.geni.com/family-tree/index/6000000021953470323#600000001...

I hope this is answering your questions.

If you want to edit an existing profile, just open the profile and click on the "Edit Profile" which is in the right side of the information box. This opens a screen where you can make changes and then save the profile.

I hope this has helped to answer your questions.

To answer other questions you may have, select "Help" at the bottom of the page which has tutorials and How To topics.

David

2/3/2015 at 12:08 AM

Hi Private User

I've just "stepped through" your tree and did find one spot where two duplicates needed to be merged together -- maybe that's the "splinter" that was confusing?

I used the "pushpin" tool to check that your earliest known Meldert tracks back to you, and I see:

Homer Dale Melder is Leonardus van Meldert's 8th great grandson!

http://www.geni.com/path/Leonardus-van-Meldert+is+related+to+Homer-...

You can learn about using the pushpin tool here:

http://help.geni.com/entries/458560-How-To-Find-Other-People-s-Rela...

I'll do some more "tree walks" on the other lines, but this one did have that small error, now corrected. Relief!

2/3/2015 at 12:20 AM

There was a little splinter over here (two profiles needing to be merged together as they were duplicates)

Rosie Odom

It caught my attention because I have Odom's from South Carolina, wouldn't be surprised if they came to Louisiana?

I haven't tracked "down" on it so here's an early guy who intersects one of my 10,000 Barnes

Abraham Odom, Jr.

Private User
2/3/2015 at 10:51 AM

Thanks for the info and the work making corrections to the tree and most of all bearing with me and enduring my questions that are probably high comedy to you folks . I appreciate all of your attention to the detail . However I have a request ,given tht Leonardus and Emerentia his wife were both born in Haaacht,Belgium can you suggest how I might investigate as to their parents name and birthplace so forth.

2/3/2015 at 1:30 PM

I didn't consider it high comedy because I was in the same boat about 2 years ago and I remember it quite well. That is why I took the time to go thru the steps and explain it the best that I could.

It is a very long learning process and I am still learning.

David

Private User
2/3/2015 at 5:12 PM

No offense intended just laughing at myself more so than anything else.

Private User
2/3/2015 at 5:15 PM

Thanks for the time consuming effort and just want you and Erica to know how much I appreciate it. Dale

2/3/2015 at 8:01 PM

My pleasure !

To answer your questions about pushing back your tree in Belgium, I have two suggestions. The first is to fill out the "tree top" as completely as possible, including citations for all the data. Especially important is religion, baptism, godparents, emigration date, and precise locations.

Once you've done that, start a discussion from the profile. We have a strong team of members on Geni familiar with Flemish records, perhaps they would welcome the challenge.

Private User
2/4/2015 at 7:43 AM

When you say start a discussion from the profile ,explain please how I do that

Showing all 25 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion