Jan Cornelis van Hoorn - Needs reviewing

Started by Alex Moes on Saturday, December 27, 2014
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing 1-30 of 32 posts
12/27/2014 at 3:05 PM

The About section is confusing and does not match the profile.

12/28/2014 at 4:25 AM

Alex, would it be useful if we added such profiles to something like a "New Amsterdam Profiling Workshop"? Just a project were we could attach profiles that need to be revisited by the profile managers (or anyone else, for that matter)? Very often, the About Me sections get messed up through mergers. For instance, this morning, I have a few Loockermans with the same first name, and I needed to switch around the ABout Me because merges caused exactly that - wrong descriptions.
Of course, this may concern hundreds of profiles. But, perhaps we could just focus on ones like this that have thousands of descendants?

12/28/2014 at 5:26 AM

1600's New Amsterdam present New York CITY Norway to Nederland to America New York City 400yearslater now NO new amsterdam now New York City Present

12/28/2014 at 5:11 PM

Ronald the automatic fields will not populate New Amsterdam because it works off Google API which only has current place names.

You can manually edit the location field when editing a profile, pre-1664 i put "New Amsterdam" in the City field and "New Netherland Colony" in the Country field. Post-1664 i use "New York City" and "Province of New York" in the same two fields.

12/28/2014 at 5:30 PM

George, probably a good idea, i assume you were watching when Erica and Mike and I targeted the Rapalje family.
I try to just fix it myself and move on when the "correct" story is obvious to me or even just a little research, when i am left confused i appeal via Discussion tab to the managers.
A new project would offer a third level where if no response came from the managers it could be tagged for all interested parties to have a go at.

12/28/2014 at 10:37 PM

Yeps, I'd hope the profile discussion level would do the trick, as you say. But it may not. Attaching them to a new project is more work (though you may skip the profile discussion altogether). Not sure if I'm keen on adding more workload ;-)

12/28/2014 at 10:43 PM

Ah but that's the wonderful thing about volunteering, there are no KPIs to meet! Workload is irrelevant because target date is always "tomorrow"

1/3/2016 at 6:10 PM

Okay, I am puzzling on this family again (drawn by Hillegond Joris- Midwife) and today reading Jan's About see that it is quoting "Van Horn Family History by Francis M Marvin dated 1929." which saddens me as according to (one of my favourites) Zabriskie, George Olin, "The Jan Cornelisen Van Hoorn/Van Horne Family," The American Genealogist, Vol. 46, No. 1 (January 1970), pp. 47, 54-55 the family histories by Marvin are all a load of Horse **** in an attempt to steal inheritance money (which $ never eventuated anyway).

Likewise it Zabriskie is very dubious of Marvin's association of the two Abrahams as Jan's sons.

1/3/2016 at 11:02 PM

Ah hah! More for the Spurious Pedigrees project then ...

1/3/2016 at 11:12 PM

Zab's goes quite in-depth rebutting the earlier work on the van Hoorn family, i haven't read the full article yet (actually i haven't even looked for it yet) but the snippets i have read look very high quality.

He does not say that the two Abraham's are not sons of this Jan Cornelisen, only that we don't have any conclusive evidence that it is this one and circumstantial evidence that it is not.

He even theorises that the Jan Jansen van Hoorn who is a builder in NA is probably not the Jan Jansen van Hoorn of this family but an older, unrelated, man.

1/4/2016 at 4:31 PM

Erica Howton same immediate family is Anna Maria van Hoorn

To quote Zab again:

"Abram Van Horne in 1888, Williams in 1912 and Marvin in 1929, all identify Anne Marie Jans as a daughter or half-sister of the famous Anneke Jans Bogardus, probably "guided" by the thoughts concerning the Trinity Churchyard claim by the heirs of Anneke Jans Bogardus.

There is no evidence that substantiates a relationship of any sort between Anne Marie Jans and Anneke Jans Bogardus."

So of course we have Anne Marie Jans showing on Geni as a daughter of Jan N.N. (which makes no sense) who is also showing as father of Anna Maria van Hoorn (which makes even less sense as the profile is male! and not connected to the Bogart family).

1/4/2016 at 4:35 PM

Anna has another brother (on Geni) named Anna Maria van Hoorn.

I am tempted to smerge all 3 children into Anna and then modify the profiles of her parents to match Zab's data (aka "daughter of Jan _____ and Annatje Jans" and step daughter of "Fransoys Paschot, born at Lausanne, in Switzerland, widower of Annatje Jans")

1/4/2016 at 4:49 PM

Yes. People need the help.

1/4/2016 at 5:45 PM

Siblings smerged, parents altered and step-father added.

1/4/2016 at 5:46 PM

Of course now that i am searching for Francois i have found this:

https://www.genealogieonline.nl/stamboom-boris-schubert-moonlight/R...

But I cannot follow the Dutch text

1/4/2016 at 9:03 PM

Booyah!

Correct me if i am wrong (because i love being wrong!) but i think i just found the record for the first wedding of Hillegondt Joris ... in Hoorn!

http://www.westfriesarchief.nl/onderzoek/zoeken/personen?mivast=136...

1/4/2016 at 10:47 PM

The truly observant among you will have noticed that these records are from
Hoorn, Terschelling, Friesland, Netherlands
not
Hoorn, Hoorn, Noord-Holland, Netherlands

So it looks like this van Hoorn family is from Friesland not Holland!

1/4/2016 at 10:49 PM

Are those little icons of wedding rings & baby bottles??

Of course this is wedding, child ... In Hoorn!

1/4/2016 at 10:50 PM

Haven't we been finding more Frieslanders in Breukelen? What were the economic conditions ?

1/4/2016 at 10:53 PM

Re https://www.genealogieonline.nl/stamboom-boris-schubert-moonlight/R...

This the bogus Anneke Jans of the House of Orange. Zabriskie busting it big time (go Zab go).

1/4/2016 at 11:05 PM

Haven't got a clue what Friesland was like in the mid-1600s but "sleepy" and "cows" comes to mind!

1/4/2016 at 11:12 PM

Ha! I was thinking that Amsterdam was bustling, good economy, trouble getting anyone local to settle in Stuyvesant's colony. So we really "won't" see many Noord-Holland except perhaps the burgomeisters etc. Also some of the Northerners passing through? My John the Dane was from "Holland.".

1/4/2016 at 11:39 PM

Likewise Hoorn in North Holland was the home base of the VOC so in this time-period "busy" and "prosperous" would be understatements.

Personally i'm a bit all over the place so not the best person to ask. Tracing family in South Holland and Gelderland, chasing random Moes' in Friesland and Groningen, puzzling ancient ancestors in Drenthe, looking for evidence of Moeskokers in Amsterdam and Friesland.

Things are further confused (for me at least) because Hoorn in North Holland is in a district of North Holland called West Friesland

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Friesland_(region)

1/5/2016 at 12:23 AM

I've added a scan of the marriage document as a source for Jan and his wife Hillegond Joris

1/5/2016 at 2:55 AM

there is a hamlet called Hoorn on the island of Terschelling: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoorn,_Friesland
However, reverend Puppius (Gerardus Puppius Hondius) was definitely from the city of Hoorn https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoorn
and surely the Westfries Archief would not consider Terschelling to be in scope for them

1/5/2016 at 2:57 AM

Thank you Ard, i did say i was getting confused with Hoorn being in a district called West Frisia!
That should have been a good clue that the westfriesarchief was indeed in North Holland.

1/5/2016 at 5:47 AM

Ard van Bergen do you have an opinion regarding the marriage record itself? I mean the names, time and location match but it could still be a coincidence. What do you think?

1/5/2016 at 7:18 AM

To me it looks convincing enough. The possibility of a coincidence is always there, of course, but the probability is really very low.

Map of the county Buren, Atlas Maior 1665 © Wikimedia Commons, PDM
Private User
12/16/2016 at 12:27 PM

I am new to this thread. I stumbled upon it because
Jan Cornelisz van Hoorn is now in the tree as a son of Barent... (doesn't look right, does it Alex Moes ?

Would love to clean this up...

= Mike vB

Showing 1-30 of 32 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion