Torleif Haraldsson (Godredson), Prince of Man and the Isles - Why is this Olof the black connected to Torleif Haraldsson??

Started by Alexander Lindquist on Tuesday, December 9, 2014
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 8 posts
12/9/2014 at 4:04 AM

Torleifs father is Harald I Gudrödsson not Olof the black , is it Remi Pedersens wisheness again ???

Harald I Olavsson was son to Olof the black, not Torleif was son to Olof the black

12/9/2014 at 4:46 AM

I haven't done anything on Torlack Skenck since Dec. 9th 2013. He is really no interest of me. I'm only working on Hallstein Torleivsson trying to keep him disconnected from Torleif because gthere is no proof of such a connection. In fact, Alexander, according to the Revision history you worked on Torleifs profile later than me. So please don't blame me for something I haven't done!!!

Private User
12/9/2014 at 6:06 AM

I have cut the connection to Olof.

7/8/2020 at 9:44 AM

To Lindquist, Pederson and Ostborg

You guys are ignoring one important fact when you are looking at these family connections. It is my belief that the similarity of names are an important factor and should have more credit in the absence of a piece of paper. Have any of you actually been to Hov, Haskas for research ? The other important factor is population. In the time frame we are debating there were probably less than 350 people in Hov, Haskas. Ask yourself, what is the likelihood of multiple similar names in the same town. You guys appear not even to respect family histories or family trees which also must be considered. I think you need to come up with points system of probabilities and when it reaches a % factor you stop cutting the family connections. Also, are you guys so sure you are correct they you must limit what information can be added to a profile unless it goes through your personal filters. Geni is supposed to be a collaboration not a dictatorship.

7/8/2020 at 1:30 PM

Martin Emanuel I have been at Hackås including Hov, and all the other farms in this area connected to the Schanke family every year the last five years. I have stayed in the area a few days a couple of these years visited all the farms, even all the way west to Undersåker. I have visited the Archive in Östersund which holds both the state and county archive of this area. I have visited the library, and I personal owns the complete Diplomatarium of Jämtland and Härjedalen. All of this have been researched extensively. At the time in question there were far from 350 persons living at Hov in Hackås, maybe more like 40-50. But we can't just count the the people at Hov i Hackås, we need to count all the people living in all the farms in this area, and to find out whom it was possible for the persons of the Schancke family to marry, and to find that we must use 10's of kilometers out of Hov to find possible suitable persons during the different times, that also weren't married into the family already. Remember, it wasn't allowed to marry someone already in your family. So they had to get further and further away from the centerpoint of Hov, Hackås to fint a suitable person to marry as time went by.

So, yes, I feel I'm pretty on top with the research done on persons living before the reformation in the Schancke family.

How about you? Have you read up on the pre-reformation sources or are you just fronting what you believe without using any sources to back your believes?

7/9/2020 at 9:32 AM

Hi Remi
Part of the problem for me in the where to access English versions of that info and in general to have access at all. As you know, I live in Canada. Your explanation of the area does offer some insight into the area in the timeframe of this events. I still think that part of the factor you should consider is what is the likelihood of a connection between persons as being claimed by people like Ole Kristian Moustgaard and others. I have seen on geni where your NO is a very hard No to people. Links could be based on a percentage of probability supported by what the facts are. I wish that there was a way to see a little more of this approach by yourself and other curators. I also belief that a complete block on the information being added to a profile is not in keeping with the spirit of cooperation and collaboration that Geni could be and should be. It would also be nice to see curators lay out in the profile why you believe in the history of an individual so we all understand how you have come to a certain conclusion.

What you just shared with me would help others to understand in a more meaningful way. My family tree on Geni was an amazing experience of discovery and the links by others confirmed the information found by my relatives who personally visited many churches and other places of information. This was well before the internet and Iphones.

Martin .

7/9/2020 at 7:10 PM

Hi Remi

This is my connection to the Skanke line. My relatives found records in Sweden all the way to Ericus Andreæ. Between Ericus and Hallstein Torleivsson was already present on Geni.com. I am thinking about doing a DNA test. If I do what type of test in your opinion should I be requesting.

You (Martin Nordstrom)
→ Emanuel Nordstrom
your father → Lars Louis Nordstrom
his father → Brita Nordstrom (Persdotter)
his mother → Per Persson
her father → Katrina Elisabet Graan
his mother → Anna Sofia Burman
her mother → Elsa Margareta Hansdotter Unæa
her mother → Anna Hansdotter Drake
her mother → Hans Olofsson Drake
her father → Olaus Petri Drake
his father → Sogneprest Peder Andersson Drake
his father → Kirsten Eriksdotter Blix
his mother → Ericus Andreæ
her father → Kerstin Jensdatter Rytter (Skanke)
his mother → Jens Karlsson
her father → Karl Pedersson Skanke
his father → Peder Nilsson Skanke
his father → Nikolas Hallsteinsson
his father → Hallstein Torleivsson
his father

Martin Nordstrom

7/12/2020 at 3:04 PM

I read that you ask Remi for what type of DNA-test is recommended. I can try to answer: It depends on what your goal is, is it because you want to confirm you genetic connection to Skanke, then a autosomal-DNA test is the only you can take.

But the problem is that there is too many generations back to be very usable for that purpose. The only test that can proove anything that far back is a Y-DNA test, but as your connection is not all paternal it wouldnt work.

Generally I would recommend to start with a autosomal-test (Familyfinder) at www.familytreedna.com because then you can upgrade to a Y-DNA and mtDNA test later and also upload to Myheritage.

One other option is to test autosomal-DNA at www.ancestry.com and upload to both Familytreedna and Myheritage, but then you would need a new kit at Familytreedna if you want to test Y and mtDNA.

Showing all 8 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion