Richard III of England - DNA Results

Started by Justin Durand on Tuesday, December 2, 2014
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 91-102 of 102 posts

That's a red herring, of sorts. It's true that only about 2 percent of men with European ancestry are haplogroup G2 but that doesn't make it rare. Just not as common.

We don't know much about medieval yDNA yet. For all practical purposes, the father could have been just about anyone.

Justin, did just about anyone have access to a king's wife ?

Chambellans, church ministers and male family members would. So would ambassadors and paintors. Or a jewish stone seller.

It's not like the woman's appartments/ chambers were allowed to all aristocracy, less even for commoners.

The father has to be within a close circle of trustees or people allowed in for reasons mentionned above.

It can't be " anyone".

Jessica, my point is that we won't find that person with DNA. Not at this point. Too many candidates over too many generations, and most of them have zero DNA confirmation. And, it doesn't work to try to localize candidates by region because there are G-P287 men everywhere in Western Europe.

> It can't be " anyone".

That's a much more complicated debate than it seems.

At this point it is very uncertain that it was Richard III who was illegitimate. If you read just the popular news you won't see the raging debate and many theories about exactly where the break occurred. And debate even about whether it was just one illegitimacy.

It would have been a fascinating history/ archeology project for GB to collect DNA from all past kings and queens in order to understand old DNA.

I understand what you are saying.

I am just hopeful. Egyptology has showed us mysteries can be cleared after thousands of years and I think there is so much to discover scientifically in GB.

Thank you Justin.

I loved the second document and it explains a lot of the questions I had.
No wonder progress has not yet been made.

I'm shown as related to Richard III and am MtDNA J1c2c2, which I suppose correlates to what the lineage describes. The thing is, if you are related to Richard III, you are likely related to the Plantagenets through multiple relatives, as a lot of cousins married. In other words, Edward III can be your 18th, 19th, AND 20th great grandfather! Since my connection is through the female line, my YDNA isn't going to mean much for any clarifications of anything at all.

Talking about cousin marriage - Richard III married his own first cousin once removed. His brother George married her sister (and did it first). There's a nasty little catch there that *could* have caused as much trouble as Edward IV's clandestine marriage(s): Richard had obtained a Papal dispensation to marry his cousin - but *not* his sister-in-law (an even more frowned-upon relationship in medieval canon law).

A series of tragedies rendered the question moot: their son died, Anne died, andthen Henry VII's army rubbed Richard out.

My line gose from Peck to Peche to de Perche ,Perche family and the Plantagenets are one in the same!
My Y700 R-FTE77843 puts me in Perche France 🇫🇷 R-DF19!

Showing 91-102 of 102 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion