Catharina (Catrijn) van Malabar, SM/PROG - Imminent tangle

Started by Sharon Doubell on Sunday, November 9, 2014
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 21 posts
11/9/2014 at 11:44 PM

I think there's been/about to be a mismerge here, as I'm battling to find corroboration that Unknown Profile or
Unknown Profile, SV/PROG;
married Catharina (Catrijn) van Malabar, SM/PROG (wife of Cornelis Claasz (Claasen), SV/PROG 1 and Andries Voormeester)

I think Unknown Profile / Unknown Profile (wife of Unknown Profile, SV/PROG & mother of Unknown Profile?through=6000000021153246096) has been confused with Catharina (Catrijn) van Malabar, SM/PROG,

& am going to untangle accordingly. However, if anybody has info to suggest they were the same woman with 3 partners (not impossible with slave records) please yell, so we can revert.

11/10/2014 at 12:20 AM

I'm trying to figure out why Unknown Profile is called Katrijn Cornelisse van de Caap, SM/PROG if she married Hendrik Speldenbergh.

Surely Catharina (Catrijn) van Malabar, SM/PROG (wife of Cornelis Claasz (Claasen), SV/PROG 1 and Andries Voormeester) is a more likely candidate to have Cornelisse in her name?

Unless Unknown Profile (Katrijn Cornelisse van de Caap, SM/PROG -wife of Hendrik Speldenbergh) was the daughter of a Corenelis.
It seems a bridge too far to assume without corroborating sources that she was the daughter of the above couple (Catharina (Catrijn) van Malabar, SM/PROG (wife of Cornelis Claasz (Claasen))
but I would say that that's one possibility.

11/10/2014 at 12:22 AM

Anyway, my internet connection is going in and out here, so I'm going to leave this for the moment. I would appreciate 'new' eyes taking a look at this to check what I've done here, though.

11/10/2014 at 2:39 AM

SAG 12 p31 says
Hendrik Speldenberg x Adriana GABRIELSE v.d.K. (sy
xx Pieter Gerrits Boshouwer)

SAF vo6 says
Cornelis Claasen * c. 1630 a in Kaap vanaf Utrecht, Nederland in diens van VOC einde
1657, vryburger 1657 en ontvang stuk grond waar dorp Wynberg aangelê word x
Stellenbosch 15.3.1676 Catharina v Malabar * c. 1650

11/10/2014 at 2:59 AM

Thanks Daan - that suggests that Hendrik didn't marry any Katrins at all.

Private User and Private User can you take a look at this profile and see if you remember if there was a Source that you used to marry Unknown Profile to Hendrik?

11/10/2014 at 3:06 AM

Unknown Profile, the son of Hendrik Speldenberg, SV/PROG & Unknown Profile - is, according to his profile, born in the Netherlands.
That seems to me to make it less likely that tat Katrijn van de Caap was his mother.

Private User
11/10/2014 at 3:22 AM

I made the SV and SM Master Profiles so would appreciate you taking over that role Sharon as I am not a manager there.

My information is the same as Daan's - backed up my http://www.e-family.co.za/ffy/g7/p7289.htm and http://www.ballfamilyrecords.co.uk/robberts/I094.html

There doesn't appear to be any information about the parents of Unknown Profile so based on what is known this is the SV/PROG

There may be more information to be gleaned from the managers of the MYHeritage matches - where there is smoke ....?

http://www.myheritage.com/matchingresult-0f8df5e643c5b5f84ed2fa56ca...

11/10/2014 at 3:22 AM

Sorry, missed the other part:

Cornelis Claasen * c. 1630 a in Kaap vanaf Utrecht, Nederland in diens van VOC einde 1657, vryburger 1657 en ontvang stuk grond waar dorp Wynberg aangelê word x Stellenbosch 15.3.1676 Catharina v Malabar * c. 1650

b1 Adriaantje * c. 1667 ≈ Kaapstad 13.11.1667 x Hendrik SPELDENBERG xx Kaapstad 9.7.1683 Pieter BOSHOUWER xxx Stellenbosch 12.2.1701 Coert (Coenraad) HELM

11/10/2014 at 3:23 AM

Also I can't find sources to validate that Hendrik SV/Prog had a son called Hendrik.

11/10/2014 at 3:24 AM

Sorry cross-posted - will go back and read

11/10/2014 at 3:29 AM

On face value it appears that Unknown Profile is actually the SV/PROG and his father with the same name x Katrijn looks suspect

11/10/2014 at 3:53 AM

http://www.e-family.co.za/ffy/g7/p7069.htm & http://www.e-family.co.za/ffy/g7/p7289.htm suggest to me that Hendrik did not have a son Hendrik at all.

11/10/2014 at 3:57 AM

Agreed Daan.

11/10/2014 at 4:27 AM

Reposted for the record sice my link above disappeared:
Suggested SV/PROG
Hendrik Speldenberg ‪
Birth: circa 1654
Nijmegen, Gelderland, The Netherlands
Death: 1682 (28)
Cape, South Africa
Immediate Family: Partner of Adriaantje Gabrielsz, SM

11/10/2014 at 4:41 AM

Sorry - I think it might have disappeared because I merged the two Hendriks and placed the profile as you suggest above.
Now I'm just trying to untangle Adriaantje Gabrielsz kids.

Then we can figure out what to do with Unknown Profile who is now adrift :-)

11/10/2014 at 6:28 AM

Is any other Curator (or Pro user?) able to merge Catharina (Catrijn) van Malabar, SM/PROG and Unknown Profile?
I can't get Geni to 'find' the other profile when I try to do a 'merge this profile' from either of them. May just be the dicky internet connection I have today.

11/10/2014 at 7:40 AM

Done - someone to do the mopping up in the merge centre?

11/10/2014 at 7:54 AM

Thanks - you're a star. I've mopped. The death dates were the same, but
the Baptism Date on Private User Katrijn was 13 November 1667.
Whereas ours was 29 October 1673.
So it seems likely to me that underneath that whole ronmpslomp was another slave woman called Katrijn/Catherina/ Katerina.
I'll recreate her for you if you get the sources Jan.

11/18/2014 at 11:44 PM

Martin Andreas Karl (Dries) Potgieter has contacted us about Catharina van MaIabar's son: : Claus Cornelisz Claasen, SV/PROG 4 =I see that some of our data about this person differs.=

Private User responded very usefully =I have resolved the conflict by selecting the main profile info - but the information there I don't think is correct - please look at http://www.e-family.co.za/ffy/g6/p6906.htm and http://www.ballfamilyrecords.co.uk/robberts/I022.html - Richard Ball's notes -

Notes:
Known as Kees de Boer. See Mansell Upham's article
The Soetkoek Syndrome (Capensis 2/2001: 27-30) for his
research on this family.

I am tied up tomorrow so Dries can you decide what needs to be reflected on that profile

You asked for the My History entry -

Claas Claes Cornelisz Van De Caep Cornelisz
1673 - 1767

Birth: Before Feb 6 1673
Cape Town, Cape of Good Hope, South Africa
Baptism: Feb 6 1673
Kaapkolonie,Suid Afrika
Death: June 1767
Cape, South Africa
Family members
Parents:
Gabriel Gabrielse van Samboua SV/PROG
1636 - 1688
Catharina (Catrijn) Katrijn Catharina Claasen/Catarina van de Cust Coromandel van Samboua SV/PROG (born van Malabar SM/PROG)
1637 - 1703
Siblings:
Hendrik Speldenberg
1654 - 1688
Maria van Bengale Claassen Willemse SV/PROG (born Cornelisz SM)
1674 - 1713
Barend Barent Cornelisz SM
1679 - ?
Catharina Catharina van Hoorn Cornelisz SM
1684 - 1718
<Private> Cornelisz SM
Adriaantje "Adriaantjie van der Kaap" Annetjie VAN CATRYN SPELDENBERG HELM Arriaantjie BOSHOUWER Speldenberg (born Gabrielsz SM)
1662 - ?
Cornelia Cornelia Pyl van Tonderen Cornelisse ( beteken dogter van Cornelis) Neeltjie Pyl SV/PROG (born Cornelisz SM)
1674 - 1754
Hendrik Cornelisz
1681 - ?
<Private> Gabrielsz
I have assumed that he died around 1688, before his wife
remarried, but there is an entry On 26th October 1708, in
a letter to the person in charge at Robben Island, 'the
convict Kees de Boer', is mentioned.
(Leibbrandt, Letters Dispatched, 1695-1708, page 394).=

Please, anyone with time and interest, come and help us to get this correct together.

There was a miss spelling in the previous one.
Sorry everybody for coming in from the side. I was away for a few days and did not know that there was a discussion on about the person that is why I took it up with June when I found the name in my conflicting data post.

Please carry on sorting it out as" it is above my fire place" (Afrikaans saying for I cannot do it/or didn't know how to do it)

The Myheritage contra frofile seems to be a whole different person.

11/20/2014 at 12:35 AM

Martin Andreas Karl (Dries) Potgieter, please stay involved - I just added it here so we can get input from people already thinking about the family. This is not above your fireplace at all :-) and the more people we have trying to help us get our tree correct together, the better by far.

Showing all 21 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion