Stephen Gardiner, Bishop of Winchester, Lord Chancellor - Parents of Stephen Gardiner, Lord Chancellor

Started by Erica Howton on Saturday, November 1, 2014
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 15 posts
11/1/2014 at 1:25 PM

Conflicting sources for his parents.

11/1/2014 at 1:27 PM

An update for the parents/parent of Stephen Gardiner, Bishop of Winchester, Lord Chancellor, thought to be the son of Helen Tudor & Sir William Gardiner has been made in the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Gardiner reference. The wikipedia article for William Gardiner, Knight husband of Helen Tudor who was thought to be his father is no longer available.

Stephen Gardiner, Bishop of Winchester, Lord Chancellor is listed as reputed son of John Gardiner, a clothworker of Bury St. Edmunds in several references. Please see the profiles 'About' section & 'Sources' for some of these references that list him as the son of John.

For some reason I keep getting an error even when posting a reply. Maybe it is caused by one of the links I have been trying to post?

It was the link at NNDB which is listed on Stephen's profile just above Dictionary of national biography (1885) Vol. XX. Forrest-Garner

11/1/2014 at 3:23 PM

Carole thank you for the Catholic Encyclopedia link.

"During this period his own nephew, Blessed German Gardiner, underwent martyrdom rather than take the oath of royal supremacy."

That's a name from here:

German Gardiner

So far I've only really sourced

Cuthbert Gardiner

But perhaps we are looking at the same family with some garbles in it.

11/1/2014 at 3:31 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bury

I wonder if DNB got the birth location wrong and it really should have been John Gardiner, cloth maker of Bury, Lancashire - not Bury St Edmonds, Suffolk, which is not as known for textiles, or for Gardiners.

The Dean of Norwich was of "the Lancashire Gardiners."

11/1/2014 at 4:19 PM

http://archive.thetablet.co.uk/article/10th-march-1928/7/blessed-ge...

"" The discovery that Blessed German (Gardiner) married the grand daughter of Blessed Thomas More is an interesting item of information which I shall presently refer to."

11/1/2014 at 4:27 PM

And more:

I have mentioned above that Blessed German Gardiner married Alice, the granddaughter of Blessed Thomas More, in proof of which I quote the following grant of a lease from the Calendar of Patent Rolls (Ireland), (p. 345) : "Lease for reversion to Thomas Eyston who married Alice, daughter of Elizabeth Dauntsey (Daunce), one of the daughters of • Sir Thomas More of the farms of Ratoath and Haggardstown (Co. Louth), for the term of forty years after the determination of the existing lease." Thus, Alice Gardiner, widow of German Gardiner, took for her second husband Thomas Eyston, who, on October 28, 1551, though a layman, was given the Rectory of Rosslare in the diocese of Ferns (Ireland) under Edward VI. The reversionary lease of lands in Co. Louth to Blessed German Gardiner's widow, was granted by Queen Mary, on October 12, 1554, ten years after the death of the martyr, and was apparently given by the Queen on account of the relationship of Mrs. Alice Eyston to two such champions of the Catholic faith as Blessed Thomas More and Blessed German Gardiner.

====

And - here she is ...

Alice Eyston

11/1/2014 at 5:14 PM

And here's her husband, Stephen Gardiner's nephew, secretary, and scapegoat

From http://supremacyandsurvival.blogspot.com/2013/03/the-prebendaries-p...

So Blessed Germain Gardiner was left as the scapegoat to suffer for the plot, while Henry VIII, still valuing Bishop Stephen Gardiner's efforts in supporting both Henry's "Great Matter" and his more "conservative" reformation of the Church, spared his uncle.

Blessed German Gardiner

He had surviving children

11/1/2014 at 6:11 PM

- I peeled the extra (disproven) children from Helen Tudor

- I was wrong about the geography; Stephen's father John Gardiner was of Bury St Edmonds, Suffolk, and we have his will

http://books.google.com/books?id=iMcxAQAAIAAJ&vq=John%20gardene...

11/1/2014 at 8:22 PM
11/2/2014 at 1:00 AM

I am of the belief that Steven's oldest brother was William Gardiner and he was the father of German Gardiner. I am unsure of the wife and there was likely another & unrelated William Gardiner of similar dates.

"This" William Gardiner inherited his father's looms, did some time at Cambridge University, and was one of the "conservative" presbyters of Canterbury who conspired against King Henry Vlll, ultimately resulting in his son's martyrdom.

Nice family !

8/4/2019 at 6:59 AM

The 1957 Encyclopedia Britannica, has a full page write up on Stephen. b. 1493, Bury St Edwards, Son of a cloth merchant, which gives credence to the statement "inherited his father's looms".

In May 1555 he went to Calais (as one of the commissioners) to promote peace with France, but was ineffective. Oct 1555 he opened parliament as Lord Chancellor, but soon fell ill and died 12 Nov 1555, Whitehall, buried at Winchester Cathedral.

10/4/2019 at 8:37 AM

I am proud to be a descendent of this illustrious family. The Very Rev W.R. Gardiner

Showing all 15 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion