ATTENTION Curators, please assist

Started by Mike Stangel on Tuesday, October 7, 2014
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

This discussion has been closed by an administrator.
Showing 181-210 of 5946 posts

Rytis Slatkevičius - great to see families from Kaunas going back to the 1700s!

Very happy to hear about the Undo Merge button.
"We" could have used that more than a few times in the past . . .

hashtag Learning Curve

;)

Thanks, Erica Howton! Much appreciated!

hi i need to make disconect: she wrong woman from this line

Marie Suzette Saulteaux from
François Marette dit Desmarais

http://www.geni.com/discussions/143262

Private User, done

you win Martin RhNegativ dale c rice and his disredited crackpot theories are back.. I know who i'll be writting off and refusing to help.

Michael mcCann
Aujourd'hui à 3:50 PM
Signaler

you win Martin dale c rice and his disredited crackpot theories are back.. I know who i'll be writting off and refusing to help.

thank you for your humble message of suporting
mr Rice action and work

Jan Willemsen Van Kouwenhoven
Could some one look at this profile for evidence of a cross-generational merge.
There is obviously no way he died in Monmouth County, NJ in 1550!

George J. Homs and Private User -- take a look at the Revisions. I suspect that some merges have smerged together several profiles.

Yes, weird merge. Relationships seem OK, just this odd addition of Monmouth County (a stray immigrant on a canoe?). I've deleted the death data and have no precision on the real data. I also see quite a few pending mergers there. Leave it to me and I'll do the merges and sort it out. The Couwenhoven/Coulster relationship is solid Dutch patrician, so more precision will probably be found.

I took a quick look at Jan Willemsen Van Couwenhoven, and my first thought was that the death place was a random glitch. Didn't have time to do anything more.

George - thank you for following through on the family.

[http://wiki.geni.com/index.php/Profile_Images,_Guidelines Profile Images, Guidelines] I would like to know what is the GENi Standard for images.

I read the Guidelines and [http://www.geni.com/company/terms_of_use Terms of Use updated April 2, 2013]

I've spent many hours working on images only to have them removed. I was adding maps and flags, I then was told that should only be the secondary image. I made markers for Unknown Husband, Wife Etc., I made Crossed Flags for English American Immigrants, French American Immigrants, Etc. only to have them removed. I understand that most seem to think a drawing of a ship is better, ok but why remove the secondary image.

I find the images far more professional and engaging than the shadow. I countless maps I added in the time I’ve been on GENi gave me the most insight on world geography in my life. Again only to have them removed without my knowledge and acceptance.

I fully believe that the best image should be on the profile and when a better one comes along it should be updated. I even went so far as only adding personal images such as Headstones on other peoples work and adding images other than that on my own work only to have the images removed for my own profile. I have had requests to remove images and do so immediately, For instance I had the wrong Brothers image in place for his sibling. I had new information about where they lived, or died.

I am very frustrated about the loss of content and arbitrary removal of my own work and images that include an attribution giving credit to the photographer or artist that generated the original image used for the profile picture and include the original URL.

I usually do personal photo if possible, grave stone second.. beyond that, I leave it, but that's just my personal preference. I use to add the family crest and images for locations, but that ended up being additional work and creating issues, as some people don't know how to change the primary photo. So grave stones would get uploaded, but the profile would be stuck with a flag, because no one knew there was additional media and how to set it. I'll generally only remove a photo if there is a better one to replace it or the photo makes little sense (e.g. picture of a flower). Additionally, generic photos slow down the tree loading, particularly in tree view, so I prefer to have the default photos in such cases.

William, it seems to me that some of the images you uploaded might seem like they belong to #6 on the image guidelines page, but note that those refer to places, things, et. al. that are intimately tied to that profile's identity. For instance, every person who came from Britain shouldn't have a British flag as their profile picture. However, the progenitor of some clan might have that clan's tartan. But every member of the clan should not. For the vast majority of cases, families will consist mostly of profiles with no images attached. For your example of the drawing of a ship, it would be fine for a person who immigrated on that ship, but not their descendants. Does that help?

would appreciate your help

Mietje van der Woude

has the wrong parents and they should be disconnected.
her parent was Grietje van der Woude

thanks!

I understand that only the Immigrants should have the ship. I do not understand why the secondary images are removed. And from my own profile. I have over 400 images I loaded and most are person specific. At first i added a lot of maps and flags, I was corrected and stopped using them as the main profile picture but as a secondary picture. I can't even find out who is removing them.

here is an example http://www.geni.com/photo/view/6000000019846942758?photo_id=6000000...

Unknown father will make people look before a merge, double check thier work

Private User, done

Bill, I don't have permission to view the link you posted.

Thats just it, I go tomy albums and there are images without names that I know I put on profiles.

Here is what is in the link Unknown McCorkle Unknown McCorkle, Unknown Sunderland, Unknown Senhouse, Unknown Father Griffin, Unknown Kennedy, William de rode, Unknown Father of Thrand, Unknown Father of Frances “Fanny” Peckham Peckham [edit]
Event:
[edit]
Date:
[edit]
Project:
[edit]
Description:
Unknown Father [edit]
Uploaded on:
September 29, 2014 at 3:48 PM
Comments

Add Comment

Justin Swanström 10th cousin once removed September 29, 2014 at 5:28 PM
Love these images. Thanks for making them and using them!

William Owen "Bill" Irwin September 29, 2014 at 7:49 PM
Please feel free to use them. I helps me keep merges and different people apart. I think it will help bad merges but making people look at the documentation

William Owen "Bill" Irwin October 15, 2014 at 2:42 PM
Somebody Keeps Taking them out

William Owen "Bill" Irwin October 15, 2014 at 2:43 PM
I put them, in and the next day they are gone.

Justin Swanström 10th cousin once removed October 15, 2014 at 9:39 PM
Does the revision history show who is doing it?

merci Madam Howton i got a big job on this branch
unlucky for me curator cant provide cofee

:)

Why don't we start a new thread on images and point back to this discussion? Since this is the general help thread.

It's an important topic and one that we need to remind people of the sensitivity around images since we share ancestors.

No image is better than a generic image.

Some very good suggestions on this thread. I understand Bill's frustration but I think this topic can be discussed and guidelines and examples given so that he can add images and contribute, but not have the images be a problem for large numbers of other descendants of our shared ancestors.

madam Blejer painting portrait and also daguerreotype photo must be used. image can be a delusion or if the image is truly related as coat of arm ,heraldry.

it can be a good discution to start

Thank You I am very happy you started the new project.
Here is another that was blank, Dr. Joseph Young Dr. Joseph Young, grandfather of Brigham Young,

William Owen "Bill" Irwin, I don't understand the purpose of posting a Massachusetts flag in this profile: Freelove Barker

When she lived and died, Massachusetts was not yet a state, therefore there was no state flag for the colony, making this flag inaccurate for the time period.

http://www.geni.com/family-tree/index/6000000014454239692?highlight... has two fathers. I cannot assign the correct one - Franz Philipp 1750-1782. Johann Wenzel 1724-1785 was his grandfather. See for ex. http://www.genealogieonline.nl/en/west-europese-adel/I1073971224.php
Someone help please.

Showing 181-210 of 5946 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion