ATTENTION Curators, please assist

Started by Mike Stangel on Tuesday, October 7, 2014
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

This discussion has been closed by an administrator.
Showing 31-60 of 5946 posts

Can someone please disconnect her from her husband for me please? It won't let me "split the tree"
Elizabeth Conklin

Your opinion or direction please:

At times, I have to create "orphan" profiles, that is, profiles that I cannot attach to the Big Tree at that moment.

It can happen that another member can find such an orphan and have sources to join it to the Big Tree. However, I understand that at times, it is not always obvious whether it is appropriate to attach a particular orphan to the Big Tree.

To make it clear that I wish my profiles to join the Big Tree, I have been posting the following statement in the About box:

-----
Note to Curators:
"This profile is an orphan. We are looking for merging this profile into the Big Tree. If you can attach it to the Big Tree, go ahead."
-----

Can you tell me if it is an effective way to go about it?

Or maybe there is another convention in Geni for this purpose that I missed?

What do you think?

oops, made a mistake

Carel Enthoven

should be disconnected from

Seraphine Polak

thanks!

Something odd going on today.

Lots of "(No Name)" profiles, both users and historic profiles. Don't think i've changed any settings at my end.

Lol, the email notification i just got for that post was tre amusing :)

morel if you create a profile by adding it as a brother/sister/son/daughter to an existing Big Tree profile, and then cut the connection, it will already have its Big Tree flag set, so then anyone can merge it (if it's a public profile).

Harald Tveit Alvestrand: Really? This is cool! And that explains something that has baffled me. There are times I find an orphan profile which when attempting to merge, it sends a request to the manager. But at other times, it just does the merge right away. And for the life of me, I could not make sense of why one or the other. Thanks Harald for the clarification.

This is good news for my orphan profiles in that they were all created from the Big Tree then disconnected. I thought that only curators (or me) could reconnect them. But now, everyone will be able to do so.

The question of appropriateness still stands. When one can connect/reconnect an orphan profile or orphan tree to the Big Tree, is it appropriate to do so? Are there situations when it is better to leave those orphan alone? I don't know, so this is why I'm asking.

Thoughts?

Erica, thank you for recommending the Unconnected Tree project:

http://www.geni.com/projects/Unconnected-Trees/8980

Great idea! I requested to join and I will add my orphans.

(Erica Howton) Erica, this is the most clear and precise page I have seen about the principles and the practices of the Big Tree connections. Thanks for pointing me to this project.

I just started a discussion on the parents of Jeriel Root, Sr (Rev Jeriel Root) and for some reason there was already Mike Stangel's last comment for this discussion before it was restarted here ('Yes, it is getting slow...') I had already started my discussion message and posted it before it really registered... Don't know if this is a bug or what is going on... Could someone check it out? (Obviously I don't need his comment, but don't know if it makes any difference or not...)
Thanks
Pat

Patricia - That Discussion is a Public Discussion in which Jeriel Root is mentioned - it is the whole discussion, not just the last comment which is linked to that Profile - in that Discussion, under "Profiles Mentioned" click the "1614 more" - and the list includes Jeriel Root -- finding the exact comments where he is mentioned is something else. But it is working correctly to include that Discussion. (And also now including this one, also, since you just mentioned Jeriel in it).

However - would think what IS BUG is that Tab says Discussions (1) -- but lists 3 (three!) Discussions.

Lois, I did click on the "1614 more" and looked thru all of them (down then back up) and didn't see his name anywhere. I may have overlooked it, but the first name is unusual enough to "catch" when skimming thru the names. (Too bad all those names weren't in alphabetical order--would have made it a lot easier!!! HINT, HINT, HINT...) I have used the Discussion tab in a couple of other profiles w/o any problems, so was surprised when this happened...

The numbers on the Discussion Tab have never worked properly IMO

What is "working properly"?
The number shows unread and not the actual number of discussions, so in general you usually don't see a number

"Working properly" would mean to me that when i visit a profile for the first there would be a number in the tab to indicate that there are Discussions about this person.
I don't recall ever having seen this and usually check manually by opening the tab to see if anything is there, likewise the Media and Sources tabs.

Yes, it is annoying that there is no number if you already have visited the actual discussion, -as annoying that there is no indicators that the About Me is in multiple languages.

The 'Discussion' tab number was a design choice to make it work like 'new messages' rather than like 'Sources' tab; i.e.: that you only see the number you haven't looked at yet. If you wish to campaign for a change, start a Suggestion in the Help system and encourage folks to 'Like' it.

rvk Done

Hiya - I have (whats seems to me anyway) a complicated request for assistance.

I was fixing up some stuff in my Krochmal tree and now I am stuck. I need to remove a husband and children from someone but when I do that I only remove the husband, There are four profiles in question that need to set up appropriately.

Abraham Aron KROCHMAL

Abraham Aron Krochmal

Chane KROCHMAL

Malka Krochmal

Abraham b. 1848 belongs to Chane
Abraham b. 1859 belongs to Malka

Chane's children should be Miril, Brane, Marcus, Feige

I am only assuming someone with curator or higher privilages can fix this better than I.

Thanks in advance.
-Steve

Without taking a look at your specific instance, .... a general guidline.

From Tree View, the children generally stay with the spouse you are NOT disconnecting from the marriage/partner relationship. Example: if you want to have the children "stay with" the father (ending up with an 'empty' mother), then select the 'Edit' on the mother's profile box. In the pop-up window, select the Relationships tab, go 'tick' the spouse and then click the "Remove" button.

If working from Profile Views, again, "Edit" the profile which you want to disconnect from both the spouse AND disconnect from those attached children. e.g.: from the wife.

It is often best to have a couple of browser windows/tabs open with different 'focus persons' (the white rectangle) so you can keep track of what is happening more easily. Remember to refresh each page/window after each operation.

Steve Jaron ... do the 10 children of Malka belong with the 1859 Abraham?

Try editing the 1848 Abraham, removing his relationship to Malka.

Then drop the 1859 Abraham onto the newly 'open' father for Malka's children.

Thanks Dan - I will play with it more after work

Can someone please un merge this profile...I am not sure why...but my cousin merged his profile with that of his 1st cousin 1 removed

Private

Paul is the son of Heinrich and Ilka
Philip is the son of Lee Simon and Susan

Steve Jaron

Done !

Cool - now to what also appears to be the root of that problem - how do I remove an e-mail address from a claimed profile. It appears somehow the same e-mail address was used to invite two of my P Krochmal cousins at some point.

The e-mail address should be removed from this profile if possible -
Private

Thanks in advance

He have to do that himself - either by closing the account or changing to another email. He was logged in today, so you should just contact him and ask.
http://www.geni.com/account_settings/all_account_settings

Private User - considering that the two profiles had been merged - and just got separated - and apparently are showing the same e-mail address (which may be why they were merged) - will that work? Or would his logging in immediately put in the same situation of Geni trying to merge the two profiles? And how could he choose which profile to log in to, if they have the same e-mail? (and since they had been merged - probably also the same password?)

Just one way to figure out...
If you take a closer look on Paul Edward Krochmal you will see that that profile is not claimed, and a family member should be able to delete that email

Can someone please split John Dewitt from his wife? Thank you :)

Showing 31-60 of 5946 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion